IGNORED

Afterdark Master Clock for Uptone EtherRegen

Well,  I'm certainly looking forward to receiving my new Afterdark OCXO clock.  Ot will be my first experience with using an external Master Clock. It'll be used with a Mutec MC-3+USB feeding my Abbas Esoteric Audio DAC2.2SE TDA1541A R1. Even though I'm delighted with what I'm already getting,  I'm curious to see what an external master clock will do. :)

7 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Is it possible to explain this calibration process ?

There is so much I don’t know about OCXO. 

Is your design a generic one, only changing the clock itself ?

Do you see a possible upgrade program, where we in field can switch out parts inside in order to upgrade to a better clock ?

The way it has read to me is that it's the same clock throughout the range,  and how well they measure determines their grade. Prince, Queen, King, Emperor etc. The same approach Cybershaft uses, and the same process as Intel and AMD use with their CPU range. As for exactly how it's calibrated, I can't see then sharing trade secrets. It wouldn't be a smart move.

10 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

It can’t be the same clock. It doesn’t make sense. 

I can’t understand how a calibration should be a trade secret. Please explain. 

I don't see why information would be shared which would help others in creation of their own product in any way. Just good business sense. Anyway,  this'll be my first post regarding this.  Don't want to argue about such things.

7 hours ago, Stevem324 said:

Do others that have ordered their Afterdark 75ohm squarewave clock plan to use the stock BNC cable?  Does anyone know any details about the stock cable?  Does anyone have any experiences to share regarding the stock cable vs aftermarket cables?  If I decide to order an aftermarket 75 ohm cable, does anyone know if cable length matters?  I've been into digital separates (transports and DACs) for almost 30 years and I recall that a cable length of 1.2-1.5m was best to reduce internal reflections.   Would that still be the case in connecting my ER to the OCXO clock?  I'm newbie in regards to use of external clocks so I'm sorry if I'm asking questions that have been answered many times over.

Due to my needing to hide mine away out of sight I need to use a longer cable than is ideal so I've a 1.5m copy Nordost Odin 2 75ohm BNC cable coming.  I don't much care for the branding though user reviews indicate they're something special and I like the build. Each wire being individually shielded is something appeals to me and should make a difference.

I'll be hiding mine behind my second power amp as it will be out of sight from my wife and it cannot be knocked or bumped in that location.

If I can get away with a shorter cable I will.

Personally I just think terminology is being used incorrectly.  Burn in is permanent change caused by operation of equipment whereas warm up is temporary. To me it just means 30 Days warm up is required for its very best performance. If you think of it this way then everything said makes a whole lot more sense. 

Of course it's new gear so burn in will also take place.  I expect the result of burn in to be permanent yet in this case warm up plays a larger part of overall performance.

Just my thoughts anyway. Irrespective of terminology what @AfterDark has sasaid will be true. It takes quite some time to sound its best. :)

2 hours ago, MasterWarzombie said:

@AfterDark.

It is a shame not to have proposed before this Emperor double Crown Square Wave 75 ohm solution instead of having been limited only to Queen Square Wave because I will certainly have taken the Emperor version but it is very late. it will take me to go too fast!

Ha, I didn't find the discount code till after I ordered and paid. My own fault though.

12 minutes ago, AfterDark. said:

Hi! Mjw21a,

We can give you cash coupon for the differences.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark.

Only if it's ok with you thanks Adrian. It's my own fault after all.

I'm just really looking forward to receiving my clock. It's still waiting for a flight though if I'm lucky maybe next week. :)

Cheers 

Matt 

On 2/6/2021 at 12:10 PM, AfterDark. said:

Hi! Mike, 

Thanks for your interest on Giesemann OCXO Clock. Using the good power supply (Sean Jacobs) can always improve the sounding for the 10M Master Clock. 

For the question above, we have answer for:

1) The flagship version called Giesemann & Giesemann EVA. This model is new developed and in very limited supply. Their phase noise and Allan Derivation is approaching the -120 dBC@1Hz and -143 dBC@10Hz. 

2) The square wave is converted from sine wave

3) This version can be tailor made as per your request. For the Ohm matching between 50ohm and 75ohm, we have matching adaptor which can turn the EtherREGEN from 75ohm to 50ohm. 

4) The AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX GIESEMANN BNC 50OHM CLOCK CABLE can tailor made to 0.2m/0.3/0.5m/1.0m as per requested. 

We certainly can arrange a group buy for member of audiophilestyle.com, we are thinking of two models at the moments. 

Thanks for your questions. 

Adrian

AfterDark. 

Awesome, thanks so much Adrian. It's actually worked out really well as I'm in the office (where it's posting to) next week.  :)

Damn.... Looks like I may be saving for an Emperor Double Crown in the not too distant future. Is it available in 75ohm square wave?

In the meantime once mine comes in I'll enjoy it a few months at least while I save towards the higher end unit  ;)

Cheers

Matt

1 hour ago, magnuska said:

Ha ha yes its tempting. But on the other hand, there are always other areas in a setup that can be improved. That´s of course very personal how and where one prioritize.😀

Actually,  I've mostly exhausted areas to improve my system.  I'm down to getting better power cables and trying things like OCXO clocks. Even without the clock it sounds quite spectacular so I'm particularly interested to see what this does.

I've been shocked by just how much difference a certain power cable out of China has made. The difference is up there with swapping RCA interconnects for better. Completely unexpected.  I'm now in the process of changing all the power cables in my two main systems.  ;)

Yeah, I know. Power cables right? I won't hold it against you if you think I'm deluded.  :D

18 minutes ago, magnuska said:

Not at all.😊 For me I strive for balance in a system. I agree that look into power and distribution should be one of the first thing to consider. 

It's been one of the last for me and I'm seeing big gains. I got a few Accuphase 40th Anniversary branded Chinese cables purely because they looked nice and I'd run out of upgrades..... Absolutely gobsmacked by the difference. I'm hoping for something similar from the clock. Things are getting spookily real sounding now.

Turns out they're actually really well made. I'll even put one on this clock  ;)

53 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Please share ?

Here you go.  Hopefully it brings the same improvement to the OCXO clock it has to everything else.  The biggest improvement was on the power amps and between my Furman AC210 A E and the power board:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001636480400.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.5c982e0e1UXtKC

The only place I can't be bothered trying it is my LDR passive preamp.  I can't see how it would make a difference.

I'm using with my Mutec MC-3+USB. I don't have an EtherREGEN nor so I don't see how that's relevant to me. I set it up, turned it on and switched to External and Reclock on the Mutec. It was about even with the Mutec initially and has continued to improve.

My home network is all dual band 802.11ax mesh (Xiaomi AX3600's) in my house with the only wired connection being my file server. Not ideal but it's what I have and fast enough for home use. No need for the EtherREGEN in this environment.

I'm installing a Firewalla Gold soon as there seems to be plenty of traffic between the Xiaomi routers and Xiaomi servers and I want greater control over my network. I've concerns about security with the Xiaomi gear.

50 minutes ago, GryphonGuy said:

Once you try a cable instead of Wi-Fi on your network for audio transmission, the difference is usually chalk and cheese in a good way and then the EtherREGEN takes that difference and enlarges it to sublime (for most people).

That Xiaomi "chatter" is probably phoning-home to China with your data. (Joke!)

Regards

GG

I would do so however rewiring a home with a concrete slab just for this simply doesn't make sense financially. If it were just a case of getting under the house ro run cables I'd have done it myself.

Yeah, I know you're joking however with the volume of data it's a very real concern for me that some information gathering is going on and being sent home considering the government involvement in most Chinese companies.  The Firewalla Gold should take care of that nicely  :)

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

Can you tell us more about your setup ?

I assume you must have a WiFi receiver unless you’re using a wireless streamer ?

I've a Xiaomi AX3600 connected to a 1gbps internet connection (fibre to the premises) with my Synology DS216 NAS and upstairs a second Xiaomi AX3600 connected to my media PC with Roon Server installed on my main system via RJ45.

I'm currently doing a build to replace the NAS with a Ryzen 1700Pro based file server running Ubuntu Desktop, 3x 4TB 7200RPM NAS drives and a 1TB M2 SSD, 16GB RAM.

I'm planning to move my Roon Server to the file server which should bring a nice improvement.

The media PC in my main system is connected to the Mutec MC-3+USB via a short 50cm USB cable, and a pure silver solid core tripple shielded SPDIF cable from the Mutec to my Abbas Audio DAC2.2SE TDA1541A R1. The Afterdark "Queen" 75ohm Square Wave OCXO clock is plugged into the Mutec via its stock cable.

My main system runs an LDR based passive pre into two separate power amps. A Pass Aleph-M for the fullrange and tweeters (101db average efficiency) and Crown XLS1002 for the 15" woofers (91db efficient) in my DIY open baffle speakers.

I also run a TeraDak Raspberry Pi based Roon Bridge in my second system attached via RJ45 to a Xiaomi AX1800, which is in turn hooked up to a NOS Phillips TDA1540D based (14 bit) DAC. I've already been down the hi res path and found for me at least,  these old 14 and 16 bit DAC chips sound better on the majority of content for me. Especially the Abbas DAC.

The second system is running Pass Amp Camp Amp into crossover rebuilt 97db efficient Oatlon W2-1000F speakers.

The Xiaomi routers are all configured in a wireless mesh.

I already have the Firewalla Gold ordered and paid for.  I look forward to setting that up.

3 hours ago, R1200CL said:

@Mjw21a

I think I’m getting your point of no need for an EtherRegen 😀

Yes, a bit pointless without an expensive rewire of the house.

We've a nice, fast internet connection though everything within the house is connected by a wireless mesh with audio connected systems connected via RJ45 to those mesh devices.

Who knows,  we've some house renovations on the cards. Might not be too difficult to run a cable from the garage to the living room. ;)

24 minutes ago, sahmen said:

Could you kindly give some description of the difference it makes to the sound from the ER? What enhancements does the Queen Square Wave bring to the table?

I'm using mine with a Mutec MC-3+USB so can't really advise regarding the ER. I went with this one as Mutec seem to believe a square wave is best for audio.

• 3 weeks later...