IGNORED

Afterdark Master Clock for Uptone EtherRegen

On 2/1/2021 at 7:47 AM, R1200CL said:

@ambre

I answer your question here instead of Uptone tread. 

I’m focused on a new clock, more suited for the future. I can foresee I need of minimum dual isolated outputs. 

If you read my post in the other tread, I’ve raised som question and wishes for new clock. Some summarized here. 

• Leave the AC power input out. DC only. Save money, or use money on other areas in the design. 
  • Proper verification of isolation of the outputs.
  • Measurements with different power supplies. 
  • Measurements with various noise and weight added (he has applied both methods in present design). 
  • How to do measurements from sine in a square output without comprising measurements.
  • What is the limit where there isn’t need for better measurements. (Impossible question?)

Again, please give Adrian time to be in control, and be patient. This is work intensive things. He is (I don’t know for sure) running a one man business. One mistake can be bad. He needs time to do it right first time.  Also we can’t tell him how to run his business, but I guess wishes regarding new products are allowed. I think his phase noise measurements is very promising. I think or hope myself that the double crown measurements would be sufficient for most. 
 As an example, I’m talking to Chinese suppliers of tungsten blocks, as low as $5. I like to further investigate if such an item is something that may can be considered by Adrian.

By opening your clock, you could measure the size of the used ocxo and help me and others understand a possible option of adding a tungsten block. 

IMG_3258.thumb.jpg.9cc61b51ed119fdb195852cfb4d1f421.jpg

This is the new design on 3 outputs version. The Linear Power Supply is build in for this Giesemann OCXO, the transformer is using special grade R-CORE, power regulators is special designed for audio to work with the Giesemann OCXO, so we are not plan to use external DC for this version. This triple output version will have 10 Master Clock outputs in Square Wave@75ohm. 

Amp: Goldmund 27+ EVO Preamp, Goldmund 29M Power Amp, Goldmund AC-Curator

DAC: CH Precision C1.1 Digital Convertor,  Studer D19 DAC, Wadia 2000 DAC

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Playback: Goldmund PH3 Phono Amp, Linn LP12, Studer A807 VU MKII Open Reel

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

Dealer: UpTone Audio, Gustard, Farad Power Supply, Cybershaft, Thixar, DELA

6 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

@AfterDark.

Which previous version of your other clocks can this be compared with ?

Thinking about phase noise. 

The triple output version of AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO will have two grades (Prince & Queen), the phase noise is below: 

GRADE Phase Noise@ 10Hz Phase Noise@ 1Hz
PRINCE -131 -100
QUEEN -132 -103

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

@AfterDark.

As you probably know, on that other brand cheap clock, there was reported huge success in better SQ by adding a tungsten weight.

Can I easily do a similar tweak myself on your clock.

At the moment I’m offered 5X5X1 cm, which is just below half kilo to approximately $35 for each cube. 

This is interesting, the weight and material can change sounding for sensitive digital equipment. We have customer using different material like block of Titanium on the dCS DAC. He is placing on the top of the DAC, so it is good try to put them on the top of chassis instead of inside, I am sure it is more convenience to try on different positions.  

9 hours ago, Ponkbutler said:

Hi AfterDark,

Firstly, congratulations on now having your own forum!

I am another EtherRegen owner interested in a compact clock with DC only supply who has a good (Sean Jacobs) PSU with spare 12V output, and am waiting for the announced group buy to be finalised. 

I have a few questions in the meantime:

1) Why are the higher-performing versions called Giesemann? Is this the name of the OCXO?

2) Does it natively generate a square-wave or is it converted subsequently?

3) Would it be possible to get the Emperor with two outputs (I run two EtherRegens in a daisy chain configuration). Complicating matters, one has a 50 Ohm clock input while the other has a 75 Ohm clock input.

4) Would be possible to get a shorter clock cable? I believe as short as possible is the best solution and the clock and ER will be next to one another.

Many thanks for your patience.

Mike

Hi! Mike, 

Thanks for your interest on Giesemann OCXO Clock. Using the good power supply (Sean Jacobs) can always improve the sounding for the 10M Master Clock. 

For the question above, we have answer for:

1) The flagship version called Giesemann & Giesemann EVA. This model is new developed and in very limited supply. Their phase noise and Allan Derivation is approaching the -120 dBC@1Hz and -143 dBC@10Hz. 

2) The square wave is converted from sine wave

3) This version can be tailor made as per your request. For the Ohm matching between 50ohm and 75ohm, we have matching adaptor which can turn the EtherREGEN from 75ohm to 50ohm. 

4) The AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX GIESEMANN BNC 50OHM CLOCK CABLE can tailor made to 0.2m/0.3/0.5m/1.0m as per requested. 

We certainly can arrange a group buy for member of audiophilestyle.com, we are thinking of two models at the moments. 

Thanks for your questions. 

Adrian

AfterDark. 

13 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

@AfterDark.

Would you (or anyone else) happen to know price for this clock ?

https://www.morion-us.com/catalog_pdf/mv336m.pdf

It seems to be one of the best available in ULN version. 

We have no ideas about the price for this clock, ULN version has -119 to -120dbc@1Hz looks good in measurement and ultra short term stability in frequency is a good way to choose for audio application. 

12 hours ago, GMG said:

@AfterDark.

The 3 output clock looks very interesting

I have a few questions if I may:

1. Is there an option to customize the outputs? 2 sine, 1 square, or any other combination
  2. Can you produce additional levels of phase? King, Signature?
  3. Since you also sell Mutec products I would like to also get your opinion. What do you recommend to add to a system first:
    1. MUTEC MC-3+ SMART CLOCK USB, before the DAC 
    2. GIESEMANN OCXO 10MHZ X TRIPLE OUTPUTS, to only feed the Etherregen

Which would give more improvement in your opinion as first step?

I am thinking of adding both and then have the clock feed both ER and Mutec, but want to get an idea which would be better as first step

For reference my signal path is:  ISP network router -> Sonore optical module deluxe-> fiber -> Etheregen -> minidsp SHD studio -> Chord Qutest

Hello GMG,

Thanks for your questions on the 3 outputs Giesemann Clock. We are making them possible for group buy if we can finalise the specifications accordingly to R1200CL.

Question 1:  The 3 output version is fixed in Square Wave

Question 2: The additional levels such as King, Emperor Signature to Giesemann Eva can be customised

Question 3: Mutec is an excellent product, we recommend to work with Giesemann Clock.  For using Roon, Tidal or Qobuz for digital streaming, EtherREGEN is a best way to improve the digital playback. 

You will be impressed If you connect both Mutec Mc3-USB and EtherREGEN with Giesemann Clock, the improvement will be huge and worth every money spend, especially if you have 2 units of EtherREGEN, and 1 unit of Mutec MC3-USB. So, 3 outputs clock is quite flexible for future upgrades.  

Adrian

AfterDark. 

20 minutes ago, GMG said:

Thanks Adrian

I already have and love the ER. 
I need to spread out my upgrades so wonder which do you recommend to get first, the Mutec or the Giesemann?

Also, does the Mutec accept sine or square wave clock signal?

Hello! GMG,

Since you already have one lovely ER, we suggest to add the Giesemann to see the results first. We are quite confidence this is a nice adds on to work with EtherREGEN. 

The Mutec can accept both sine and square wave clock signal too.

Adrian

AfterDark. 

On 2/7/2021 at 12:23 AM, MasterWarzombie said:

Hi,

I want details for my ER.

1- Etherregen is 75 ohm. The afterdark is 50 ohm. Does the adapator degrade the signal?
2- The QUEEN -SQUARE WAVE 75OHM SPECIAL EDITION is that it is directly into 75 ohm, no need for the adapter?
What is the difference with the other versions?
3-Uptone says on their site that there is no need to add an external clock. He changed his mind with your AfterDark external clock?

merci

HI! MasterWarzombi,

Thanks for your question related to Giesemann clock and EtherREGEN.

Here is the answer:

Question 1 -  We will provide the matching ohm adaptor which is made from Cybershaft, and they have certified with measuring instrument, to ensure they are in lab grade product for audio application. 

• Agilent E5061A Network Analysis
  • HP35678A 50ohm Calibration Kit
  • HP11854A 50ohm BNC Accessory Kit
  • Wiltron 75ohm Termination 26N75A 

AfterDark. is collaborated with Cybershaft to promote their excellent product along with EtherREGEN. Mr. Kenji san from Cybershaft give us more information in related to the matching adaptors from last November 2020. 

影像預覽

影像預覽

Dear Adrian,

This mail thread was created for technical information exchange.

<T001> Impedance matching of external clock input of Uptone EtherREGEN

We report using our product CYB-MA01 to make the external clock input of EtherREGEN with 75ohm impedance compatible with 50ohm.

We used the 75ohm EtherREGEN you arranged for us in July.

By installing CYB-MA01 for EtherREGEN 75ohm external clock input, SWR = 1.0225, showing very good matching.

( The characteristics of SWR = 1.0225 are comparable to inconsistencies on a 1m cable, for example. It's a very small value. )

This data and photos can be shared and reprinted by you and us.

We hope that this information will be useful to you and your customers.

We hope that you and we will post new technical information to each other in this email thread.

Best regards,

Kenji Hasegawa

UNQUOTED

Question 2:  The QUEEN -SQUARE WAVE 75OHM SPECIAL EDITION is that it is directly into 75 ohm, no need for the adapter? 

• Yes, Square Wave version is in 75ohm and no adaptor is required, which is special edition for EtherREGEN.
  • We will provide the Giesemann Clock Cable in 75ohm for customer to plug and play when they connect to EtherREGEN. 

Question 3: Uptone says on their site that there is no need to add an external clock. He changed his mind with your AfterDark external clock?

• We receive a lot of customer feedbacks, the Giesemann Clock is much better perform with EtherREGEN, and cannot live without it. This become a fact that Giesemann Clock is a must for audiophile gears if the device can accept 10M Master Clock signals. 
  • For customer, using Mutec MC3-USB, upgrade with Giesemann Clock is the best option for improve their audiophile system.  The system will be more focus and the soundstage is wider and instruments can easily be located in right position. 

9 hours ago, MasterWarzombie said:

Sorry for my question again from beginners but if I understood correctly, the queen square wave version is 75 Ohm like the ER. Which cable do you supply then in this case, because the cable you supply with Giesemann is 50 ohm.
I do not really understand this story of compatibility between the ohms of different devices. Cable ...., clock etc ...
thank you .

HI! MasterWarzombi,

Thanks for your question, the Queen Square Wave version is 75ohm like ER, so we will provide the other version of Giesemann BNC cable in 75ohm. 

This is important to match both cable and 10M output with the same 75 ohm or 50ohm for best sounding. 

Adrian

AfterDark. 

29 minutes ago, Ricardo007 said:

can the emperor be customized to implement this marvel clock:

https://www.nelfc.com/email/NEL01201.html

Hi! Ricardo007,

The OCXO clock use inside Giesemann is far better than the caption clock above. So, we do not plan to customise and implement this clock. 

Adrian

AfterDark. 

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

@Ricardo007

I guess there exist, or is possible, to have a generic PCB where you only change the clock. 
I’ve studied a few OCXO data sheets and it seems to be some sort of standard size and pin configuration. 
Also power to a clock seems pretty standard, and can be chosen when order. 

I would therefore assume a 1 to 3 generic PCB’s, could cover a lot of various clocks.

Also impedance is just the connector it self to determine. 

If this is how AfterDark is doing it, I have one idea. I hope I may explain a bit later on. 
I haven’t have time to study data sheets used by AfterDark, but you can easily do this yourself, and find out it it’s interchangeable. 

In the best case you can fit such a clock yourself. Order a clock without a clock. 
I think, when you’re told price and delivery time, you may have a second taught 😀

That specific company wouldn’t tell me price yet. (I emailed this weekend). 

Hi! R1200CL, 

This is not a simple task to make OCXO in a right manner, every measuring and testing steps is critical when we made this Giesemann Clock: 

We achieve economic of scale, because of purchasing large number of OCXO in a batch. So, the price of Giesemann Clock is really affordable for most customers. It is better off to purchase the final product from AfterDark. 

P.S. A small order will be very costly to purchase and very likely factory will not accept small order from retail customers.   

The state of art craftsmanship of Giesemann OCXO

The OCXO installed in the every Giesemann was calibrated and tuned by industrial equipment such as Keysight 5322A with reference to Atomic Clock & GPSDO. In order to optimally select the audio clock, we comprehensively evaluate with Symmetricom Flagship 5125A to analysis the phase noise characteristics and short-term stability (Allen dispersion) that can be determinate the OCXO grading accordingly.

Every Giesemann OCXO installed, uses a selected OCXO unit that has been calibrated for several months. In order to make the best choice of OCXO. Giesemann clock will be examined with comprehensive evaluation of phase noise characteristics and short-term stability (Allen dispersion) during detailed inspection.  The final product will final measured and fine tuned with Keysight 53220A with reference to Atomic Clock , GPSDO. 

Every Giesemann will provide a certificate of calibration to ensure their performance is within the specific grade such as Emperor Double Crown. 

Adrian

AfterDark. 

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

It’s interesting to see that it’s measures better at 1Hz, but not at 10Hz. (If I’ve got the right clock). 
http://www.ke5fx.com/bva.htm

In general, is it better to look at 1Hz performance rather than 10Hz when looking at clocks phase noise numbers ?

About calibration

Are you calibrating you clocks yourself?

if so, can you tell us more about this process?

Do all OCXO in general need calibration?

Hi! R1200CL,

1Hz and 10Hz region are both important points to define the trending of the phase noise. This is one of the factor to define the real quality of OCXO for audio application. 

About the calibration on OCXO , we got two partners who is leader in the OCXO industry, their team of engineers will perform and determine the real quality and performance of OCXO. 

The state of art craftsmanship of Giesemann OCXO

The OCXO installed in the every Giesemann was calibrated and tuned by industrial equipment such as Keysight 5322A with reference to Atomic Clock & GPSDO. In order to optimally select the audio clock, we comprehensively evaluate with Symmetricom Flagship 5125A to analysis the phase noise characteristics and short-term stability (Allen dispersion) that can be determinate the OCXO grading accordingly.

Every Giesemann OCXO installed, uses a selected OCXO unit that has been calibrated for several months. In order to make the best choice of OCXO. Giesemann clock will be examined with comprehensive evaluation of phase noise characteristics and short-term stability (Allen dispersion) during detailed inspection.  The final product will final measured and fine tuned with Keysight 53220A with reference to Atomic Clock , GPSDO. 

Every Giesemann will provide a certificate of calibration to ensure their performance is within the specific grade such as Emperor Double Crown. 

On 2/15/2021 at 4:53 AM, GMG said:

Have a question about stability

We all know that the clocks are sensitive to vibration and to temperature changes. OCXO should be stable in varying temp by design, so if the environment temp changes around the clock it should not have a significant effect. To achieve this the clock has to be able to warm up for a couple of hours and therefore it is recommended to be left powered all the time.

What about the effect of vibrations? How long does it take the clock to stabilize after a "vibration"? let's say you move the clock while still powered on, how long before it is stabilized again?

Hi! GMG,

Thanks for your question. The OCXO is design to work with powers on all the time, the Giesemann clock will reach its performance around 3 hours, up to 7days and 35days to reach its max performance. The waiting is all rewarding and worth it. The sounding will be more laid back and silky smooth after runs in. 

For moving the clock or unplug the BNC clock cable from the devices , we recommended to switch the power off first. It is for safety reason for audiophile devices. So, it is suggested to connect every clock cables to all devices, before power on the Giesemann Clock. The Giesemann Clock will be operated in 1 second. However, the burn-in time will be re-start agains. 

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

16 hours ago, GMG said:

Thanks Adrian,

I was just referring to small movement of the clock. Like maybe for removing dust, or just moving 1-2cm on the shelf to make room for other equipment. Or even movement/vibration due to kids jumping around near the system...

In these situations the power is not unplugged,

How long would it take for the clock to get stable again. hopefully not weeks :-)

35days sound really long for stabilization. Can you roughly quantify the difference in performance? 

for example:

3 hours - 90%

7day - 99.9%

14 days - 99.99%

35days - 99.9999%

Hi! GMG,

Thanks for your question. For the small vibration as above, the Giesemann Clock will stable around 3 hours without restart the power again. 

For 35days, the Giesemann Clock will be in optimal status as below trends:

• 3 hours - 85%  (already outperform, better focus, wider soundstage, and remove all digital hardness when compared to other TCXO, FEMTO, other OCXO) 
  • 1 days - 90%    (1 day burn in, keep improving, the Giesemann clock will surprised customer with lush mid-high, airy sounding )  
  • 7 days - 95%.   (Customer will expected to very enjoyable and cannot live without the Giesemann Clock, improving is huge!!!) 
  • 14 days - 98%  (The improvement is keep on day after day, customer will be very happy and looking for upgrade of Giesemann)
  • 35 days - 99.99% (The final stage burn in, the optimised stage, customer will be very impressive, will introduce other audiophile) 

P.S. Only high quality Giesemann Clock will undergoes with above experiences, improve day by day until 35 days. So, other low quality OCXO may not have this burn-in experience due to limitation or unstable of Phase Noise, large variance on Allan Derivation. 

We have one user using Giesemann Emperor Double Crown connect to Singxer SU-2 DDC, he experience the same feelings: 

657367108_Screenshot2021-02-17at10_58_00AM.png.9af8640c12f870322bfc74dc9da0d035.png

The overall listening pressure will be rewarded after the Giesemann Clock is burn-in. The differences is more obvious and the sounding will become smoother, and music become more organic and laid back.  

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

On 2/16/2021 at 7:41 PM, GMG said:

Thanks Adrian. 
very informative 

P.S my stabilization example numbers where better 🙂

We shall record some YouTube for difference on 1 day, 7days, 14days and 35days. This will be really interesting comparison. 

Reference testing system: 

Giesemann OCXO Clock connected to Mutec MC3-USB --> DAC 

184676270_Screenshot2021-02-18at8_17_49PM.png.a31dc133f43a8c9f83d6c190fa7a81e5.png

The Giesemann Clock - Emperor Giesemann EVA , newly build on 16-Feb-21. The record is after 1 day of "Burn In" 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, fsmithjack said:

Adrian,

Can you please help me? I did not know this edition existed and before you responded I went ahead and I just purchased a regular Queen version last night before you responded. Can you modify my order so I get this edition please? I am new to all the clock stuff but I want to make sure I get the Audiophilestyle.com edition? Please let me make if you need any additional info from me? 

My order number is: 5672

Hi! Fsmithjack,

Sure, the order was modified to Model: Queen - Square Wave EtherREGEN edition (Audiophilestyle.com edition comes with BNC cable) 

Thanks and have a nice weekend. 

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

46988760_Screenshot2021-03-03at10_38_16PM.thumb.png.8fb8f91db972c91e68b792f74cbc584d.png

The Giesemann EVA burn in performance after 15 days. The soundstage is much wider and deep. 

20 hours ago, MasterWarzombie said:

I received my Afterdark Clock yesterday for France.
Neat and fast packaging. Thank you Adrien.

So I have the Queen - Square Wave version in 75 Ohm. The supplied cable is not red but black on the photo on the site. I do not know if it is the same quality of cable as that in 50 ohm.

The Clock has been burning since last night. It turned all night and all day

It's all new to me in my quest for a better experience.
Music seems less "metallic" or "tiring"

There is a sheet stuck under the clock, I don't know what it's for. Maybe for interference.

So I switched to the ER in external Clock mode.
I don't technically know how it works. The afterDark resynchronizes the internal clock of the ER? or it purely replaces the origin?
I have not had the experience of switching to external Clock mode without putting the BNC cable. Does a sound come out? :)
What is disturbing is that there is no indicator light.

To be continued

Hi! MasterWarzombie,

Thanks for your feedback. We are quite confident the Giesemann Clock will improve your EtherREGEN day by day. The Giesemann Clock will open up with huge soundstage and music will be much smoother after 7days. The external clock will bypass the internal clock on the EtherREGEN, so it makes a differences. 

For use Giesemann Clock in EtherREGEN, unplug all the power on Giesemann and EtherREGEN.

1. Switch EtherREGEN from INT to EXT position
  2. Plug in the BNC cable from Giesemann Clock cable to EtherREGEN
  3. Power on the Giesemann Clock first.
  4. Then, EtherREGEN will boot to EXT firmware and use the external clock as reference from Giesemann 10M Master clock signal
  5. The EtherREGEN will work plug and play

For the unplug of BNC Cable from Giesemann clock, we suggested to turn off the Giesemann and EtherREGEN first, it is for safety reason.

The audiophilestyle.com group buy will come with 1 meters of BNC clock cables:  1) For 75ohm version will be in Black Belden  2) For 50ohm will issue with Red HUBER. 

Please let the Giesemann Clock burn in and power non-stop. The improvement is rewarding. We would be really appreciated if you could share some of the impression later on. 

Thanks and have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

20 minutes ago, MasterWarzombie said:

I have two final questions.

1- The process of Burning the clock only involves keeping the clock on and the etherregen on or it involves "running the music"

2 - What happens if we cut off the power supply, the clock burn is "canceled" and this long process must be repeated?

I have the possibility of having these two BNC cables for tweak:

https://www.nordost.com/leif/blue-heaven/blue-heaven-digital-interconnect.php

or 

https://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/cables-numeriques-coaxial/oyaide-db-510-cable-numerique-coaxial-bnc-75-ohm-argent-1m-unite-p-9118.html

are these good choices?

merci :)

Hi! MasterWarzombie,

1 - The process of "Giesemann Burn-In" is to keep the Giesemann Clock turn on all the time, 1day -> 7days -> 15days -> 35days to reach optimal status. So, we suggest the Giesemann Clock is turn on all time. 

2 - Once the power is off, the Giesemann clock will be initialised, so the burn in will start over again.

We have excellent BNC 75ohm Clock cable which is recommended and have good feedback from customer who have Giesemann Clock. 

AfterDark. Project ClayX Black River Clock Cable is very transparent, full body with details. We can guarantee this is one of the best 75ohm cable BNC Clock cable which can refine all the signals from Giesemann Clock.  

https://www.adark.co/collections/digital-cables/products/afterdark-project-clayx-black-river-carbon-fiber-woven-xlr-cable

A7CD9517-C784-4803-832F-74CE07E1E7C9_204

Thanks for your interested.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

@AfterDark.

It seems to me you have raised the price all over with 3 to 400 KH$  Correct. ?

Hi! R1200CL,

Yes, we have raised the price after new year. The supplier has raised price every new year. 

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

40 minutes ago, MasterWarzombie said:

Burn ....:)

afterdark.jpg

Hello! MasterWarzombi,

Thanks for your sharing. May I know if the Giesemann Clock is connected to SoTM switch? How does the sound change when compared? We are quite confident, the improvement after burn-in will be huge.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark.

1 hour ago, MasterWarzombie said:

@AfterDark.

Hi , 

Small questions

My internet connection was lost and I had to reset my etherregen by unplugging it electrically to restore my connection.
My afterdark clock stayed on.

1 - I hope that unplugging the ER does not mean starting again for a new period of burn in of the clock?

2 - I read that if we move the clock while it is still on, it will stabilize after 3 hours. it does not reset the burn in I hope for 35 days?

merci

Hi! MasterWarzombi,

1 - As soon as the clock is stay powered on, unplug ER does not affect the burn in process at the clock.

2 - Yes, it does not rest the burn in. 

Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Adrian 

AfterDark.