IGNORED

Afterdark Master Clock for Uptone EtherRegen

17 minutes ago, scolley said:

Thank you for this review @ambre. An interesting upgrade option well worth considering...

Has anyone else tried this? And if so, what did you think?

Thanks.

Look at YouTube as search for afterdark master clock

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

30 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

@ambre

Didn’t you open the clock and had a look inside ?

Edit:

Reading your other posts @uptone area, have you bought a second one. Same configuration ?

I have ordered a  BG7TBL OCXO.

Intend to sell immediately 

no not open YET ....do you want to built your own clocks as competitor of Afterdark?  Or you are a real DIY guy?

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

45 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

I have no intention of building my own clocks. It requires highly skilled people th get this right. Even Adrian isn’t designing this clocks himself. 

Even though I’m educated in electronics thousand years ago, I’m definitely not what should be under the DIY umbrella. 
Which remember I have a dual set of PCB to build a headphone amp from DIY site. Never order the parts 😃

I hope you as a “reviewer” wouldn’t mind open the clock and share pictures. It’s interesting to se good craftsmanship. What’s stopping you from not sharing the inside of such a nice device. 

Hi R1200Cl, 

You stated ... you are educated in electronics thousand years ago, is this not outdated in the meantime.🥸

I don’t know what to look for ...if I would open the case. Besides that it voids the warranty too!

Ps. You are really persistent in asking about what’s in the box. Are you really capable to judge these lay-outs etc? Do you ask the Mutec, Sotm, Cybershaft ...upfront to share / show inner parts resp. Inside of their design to be judged by you? And if so than what does your opinion ....really add to the discussion? 

My advice is to ask Adrian of Afterdark and dealer of Cybershaft personally if he willing to share the lay-outs etc. And if so ....what will / has to be the outcome!

Ps-2: both the Afterdark as Cybershaft were sent John Swenson and Alex C  for futher investigation etc.....

To my ears my ... journey with Afterdark Giesemann is a good step in SQ for EtherRegen.

Maybe there are better Master  clocks with Square or Sin wave etc.  If you don’t want to experiment ... you should buy the excellent Mutec SE 120 or SOTM. Wanting to sit in ringside for a dime is an illusion.

Nb.  I plan to compare the Giesemann with both abovementioned brands at short notice. The cheap Bg7  resp.  $90 unit I will skip. 

Very best regards, Andreas

3 hours ago, Ponkbutler said:

Hi AfterDark,

Firstly, congratulations on now having your own forum!

I am another EtherRegen owner interested in a compact clock with DC only supply who has a good (Sean Jacobs) PSU with spare 12V output, and am waiting for the announced group buy to be finalised. 

I have a few questions in the meantime:

1) Why are the higher-performing versions called Giesemann? Is this the name of the OCXO?

3) Does it natively generate a square-wave or is it converted subsequently?

4) Would it be possible to get the Emperor with two outputs (I run two EtherRegens in a daisy chain configuration). Complicating matters, one has a 50 Ohm clock input while the other has a 75 Ohm clock input.

4) Would be possible to get a shorter clock cable? I believe as short as possible is the best solution and the clock and ER will be next to one another.

Many thanks for your patience.

Mike

Please read the story of “The development of Giesemann OCXO Ref 10M Master Clock” in this same forum of Afterdark.

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

@AfterDark.

Would you (or anyone else) happen to know price for this clock ?

https://www.morion-us.com/catalog_pdf/mv336m.pdf

It seems to be one of the best available in ULN version. 

Please notice this spec- sheet if dated 2018. For contact see also618447690_Schermafbeelding2021-02-06om15_00_36.thumb.png.712391d95877390e680c7a07af2aa6ca.png

• 4 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

I noticed that even several of you here at AS has bought a AfterDark clock, no one has yet posted in the tread listening impressions

Not even @ambre

This is quite unusual I would say. At least compared to how we’re used to people posting about every new John S product released the last 4 years. 
As well as the cheap AliExpress clock. 

done 

1 minute ago, AfterDark. said:

Hi! MasterWarzombi,

Thanks for your questions.

1 - As soon as the clock is stay powered on, unplug ER does not affect the burn in process at the clock.

2 - Yes, it does not rest the burn in. 

Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Adrian 

AfterDark. 

Hi Adrian,

we you shortly disconnect (10 min) the clock from power for installing a new bnc cable for instance what happens than?

34 minutes ago, AfterDark. said:

Hi! Ambre, 

Thanks for your question.

Any power down, will required to burn in from the start agains. 

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

What than the difference that you have to burn for the whole period?

Looking at the manual for the Mutec Ref or SE:

Prior to enjoying an in-depth listening session we recom- mend pre-heating the REF10, respectively REF10 SE120 for about 20-30 minutes While the heater generally reaches its operating temperature in about one minute, the entire oscillator section takes longer to fully warm up To ensure optimal performance and highest frequency stability, you should grant your REF10, respectively REF10 SE120 this additional warm-up time.

And:

that for best sound perfor- mance of the connected devices it is useful to let the REF10, respectively REF10 SE120 burn-in for at least 14 days Thus, we recommend to leave the unit switched on for that period of time.

what is the technical resp logical explanation that after a short power down you have do the whole proces again ?

After initial burn-in the Mutec in ready in say 30 minutes?

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Mjw21a said:

Got to say the OCXO clock has made a real improvement in terms of fine detail and sound staging.... PRaT noticeably improved also. Many well loved songs It's like I'm hearing it for the first time. I'm gaining a new appreciation for the artists. This thing isn't coming out of my system and that's for sure.

I'm using it into my Mutec MC-3+USB which feeds my Abbas Audio DAC2.2SE.

Did you change the switch internally?

Just now, ambre said:

Did you change the switch internally?

Sorry I meant the jumper

1 hour ago, Mjw21a said:

Just plugged it in and turned it on...

Have a look at last pages of manual maybe interesting 😄

4 hours ago, nichino said:

I believe you are referring to the following: 

The sequence to utilize an external reference clock with the 
EtherREGEN is:
1) Remove DC power from the EtherREGEN.
2) Set the CLOCK INT/EXT switch to the EXT position.
3) Connect a BNC clock cable from a 10MHz reference clock.
4) Power on the reference clock.
5) Apply DC power to the EtherREGEN.

The manual of the Mutec mc3 that you were referring to.😎

Just now, JonD said:

Thanks for the update Adrian, appreciate you taking the time; and I am looking forward to receiving the clock when its ready.

Congratulations on becoming a Farad dealer, this is great news as well. I think the Super3 will be very well suited to AfterDark products. I can see a few more of these LPSUs in my future 😄

Fully agree use 2x Farad super3 for Etherregen and Giesemann last one had immediately uplift and after installing level cable another kick.

PS. I use now the cat 7 cable of SOTM really expensive but very well sounding. Another Leaque 🤠 than my double Meicord Opal.

Best regards,Andreas 

2 hours ago, LEO SOUND said:

Hello Ambre ,

I read that the ethernet cable can produce a "ground loop" which can pollute the streamer connected to the ER.
Is your Sotm cat 7 built to avoid this ground loop because people say "audiophile" cables are worse than better.

Your FARAD are 12 Volts for the afterdark and the ER?

thank you

The  dCBL-CAT7 of SOTM including its filter doesn't create ground loops and sound superior far beyond what I have heard from Audioquest and other brands.

Farad 9V as prescribed by Farad for EtherRegen and 12V for Afterdark Giesemann Double Crown. 

280775137_Schermafbeelding2021-03-27om13_59_52.thumb.png.789aff83bf7f29646f91b6b0ea3c9ca2.png

12 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

(I’m purchasing the King now any minute). 

Finally  that took long 😎😎😎 you will be very satisfied please order also the prescribed 50 Ohm cable Huhner ( very good) in combi with Cybershaft converter if you have a 75 Ohm Etherregen 

HAVE FUN 

1 hour ago, soares said:

Well I’ve order the 75 ohms version. Is anybody aware of a good splinter device? 
Thank you.

Jorge

Look at Afterdark website a good one from Cybershaft 1=> 2 outputs 

6 hours ago, soares said:

From what I understand this is just for 50 ohms. Tks.

Jorge

And a distributor for 50 or 75 ohms with 4 outputs also Cybershaft

6 hours ago, ambre said:

And a distributor for 50 or 75 ohms with 4 outputs also Cybershaft

https://www.adark.co/collections/cybershaft/products/cybershaft-limited2-ocxo-10mhz-op14-op20

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, DSK6 said:

I really can’t see how replacing the EtherREGEN’s SMPS with a good LPS could improve things further … but … 

Yes you can easily  go for a Farad Super3 9v👀

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, yoby said:

Hi everyone: I installed a Synergistic Research Orange small (5x20mm) 1A Fast Blow (F) fuse into my After Dark LPS. This is a stunning upgrade for the money. Some gear doesn't respond much to fuse upgrades, but this LPS does. Simply remove the four hex key screws of the front panel and the fuse is right there. Good listening. Jeff

Did you check direction?

1 hour ago, Mat said:

Do I need mini circuits ?

Yes

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Adrian.

What your present experiences concerning the additional filters as defined by John Swenson for the 50 and 75 Ohm Sin wave clocks ?

At first instance sounded good/ better / differently.

as before ..,,but I was informed that for better Quality Adark clocks this could be contraproductive in term if Sq maybe too clean too digital.

Maybe good for the Chinese BG Sin wave etc!

Please your advice from which clock level to should not be needed from Prince to Eva?

Will de-install to hear the original Sq again.

Ps. Yes every  change isn’t always an improvement.

Very best regards,Andreas

On 5/31/2021 at 6:04 PM, ambre said:

Hi Adrian.

What your present experiences concerning the additional filters as defined by John Swenson for the 50 and 75 Ohm Sin wave clocks ?

At first instance sounded good/ better / differently.

as before ..,,but I was informed that for better Quality Adark clocks this could be contraproductive in term if Sq maybe too clean too digital..

Very best regards,Andreas

Imo removing Mini Circuits filter betters overall sound on my 50 Ohm Afterdark.

At first instance I was delighted but …after a while I was missing some aspects.

High focus on mid high and really airy but cymbals wasn’t that crispy as remembered and mid bass lacks also and deep low bass isn’t was earlier( especially organ music) as low as it should / can be.

For sale within Europe for €15,00 ex postage 🥸