IGNORED

Can anybody help?

Hi there

I’m a first time poster and a novice streamer.

I bought a server/streamer with an Intel quad core 1.6 ghz processor with 8gb of ram. It’s being fed from a modem via Ethernet with a 5m cat 8 rj45 cable. I’m using a Furatech USB cable to feed the Dac. I’m achieving a speed 70-75 mbps. 

My problem is I’m getting a popping sound (massively noticeable on Acoustic based music) on all music platforms (Qobuz, Tidal, Amazon HD) when streaming. I’ve been told to change the USB cable but this haven’t helped at all. I’ve read about this problem from various sources but nobody has come up with a solution. Has anybody heard of this problem and are there any cures.

Hopefully someone can help.

Thanks for your help

I think there are multiple possibilities.

My top guesses are:

1) You have a ground loop problem between the streamer and the DAC. Try to make sure the DAC and streamer power supplies/plugs are plugged into the same power bar.

2) You have a display connected to the streamer and there is a ground loop between your display and the DAC. Try to make sure the display is also plugged into the same power bar.

3) Your streamer/server is connected to other gadgets (e.g. powered USB drives) that are creating intermittent ground loop into the DAC. You need to plug those gadgets into the same power bar too.

4) Your DAC’s USB is defective which is why it’s causing the pops.

But honestly, others suggestions are great because the pops can be from (as mentioned above)

1) Network issues related to streaming (which is why lots of local files would be a good test)

2) Excessive upsampling so your streamer/server can’t keep up

Without knowing exactly what you got (DAC, amplifier, how many computers, external drives that are powered, etc.), your entire setup, what is connected to what, where they are plugged into the wall/which power bar, what software you’re running, etc. it is quite hard to really troubleshoot.

Just a thought— get an Apple product like a MacMini never hear complaints like this from apple products users do you?-has to be something with fact you have to download drivers to use Windows OS with those streamers/players?? I have never had this kind of problem with TIDAL/Qobuz—alone or through ROON/A+3.5 with an ancient late 2012 MacMini i7 16GB RAM. I don’t think this any thing to do with ground loops Ethernet cords etc my DAC and amp are Schiit products Yggy gs and rggy 2 just the amp and i also use ME2–never ever have this problem has to be Windows itself

9 minutes ago, bobbmd said:

Just a thought— get an Apple product like a MacMini never hear complaints like this from apple products users do you?-has to be something with fact you have to download drivers to use Windows OS with those streamers/players?? I have never had this kind of problem with TIDAL/Qobuz—alone or through ROON/A+3.5 with an ancient late 2012 MacMini i7 16GB RAM. I don’t think this any thing to do with ground loops Ethernet cords etc my DAC and amp are Schiit products Yggy gs and rggy 2 just the amp and i also use ME2–never ever have this problem has to be Windows itself

I have to be honest, I think you’re right. It’s not random enough to be earth loops. It seems to be more to do with the server not being able to process the information properly. It happens at certain points of a track usually at the beginning or end of tracks when there are quiet passages.

I’ve always used Mac products in the past and never encountered these type of issues.