IGNORED

Article: THE VALUE PROPOSITION IN AUDIO: ROLLING YOUR OWN IS AS EASY AS PI Recording and working with audio files on a simple Raspberry Pi DAW

54 minutes ago, bbosler said:

WOW😮

Very impressive and informative. As I read it,  I couldn't help but notice all of the acronyms and abbreviations that many/most of us take for granted but a newbie might not.

Thanks for the observation.  That's why I try to spell out the full terms the first time each is mentioned, adding the abbreviation to be used in parentheses, e.g. "digital audio interface (DAI)".  Perhaps I've assumed more than is justified about many of those on your list - I'll try to be more consistent with up-front definitions.

TTYL 🤪

6 hours ago, Rexp said:

Many thanks for the recording, did you down convert it to 16/44.1?

Rudolph the Redbook Demo is a garden variety CD quality track.  To see what the Pi would do, I made a few recordings at 24/192, which works fine on a fan cooled Pi 4, as long as you don’t try to use loopback monitoring in real time.  But I make all of the band’s demos (for learning new tunes etc) the way I made Rudolph - it’s easy, effective, and requires no special or costly stuff.

26 minutes ago, Rexp said:

The download you provided is 32/44.1 as per the article? 

The download is Redbook (16/44.1). Each instrument was recorded separately in 32/44.1 but the final master was mixed to 16/44.1 format.

I recorded each of the 6 instrumental tracks as a 32 (float)/44 wav using Ardour.  I then opened them in Audacity exactly as recorded, normalized the gain on each one, applied a little DSP (eg compressed the bass a bit in the first chorus, because it’s playing the melody and I thought it needed a little punch), touched up the gains for solos, and panned the instruments to create a soundstage.  Then I mixed them down to a Redbook master.

This was all done on the same 4 gig Pi 4.