IGNORED

Article: Review | Stax SRS-3100 Electrostatic Headphone System

7 hours ago, bluesman said:

But you do make multiple references to a general perception that products made of plastic are often believed (rightly or wrongly) to be of lesser quality and durability than those made of metal, leather, and other materials for which plastic is substituted, eg “Just because the SR-L300s are made entirely of plastic, one shouldn’t concern oneself with quality issues” and “as with anything plastic, they probably require a bit more care in handling than the two more pricy models”.

As always this is a matter of degrees.  Carbon fiber is plastic, acetate is plastic, a number of very cheap and fragile items are also plastic.  The inference of lacking material quality points directly at the weakest point no matter what part of the design or manufacturing was engineered to produce that failure.  Patina is also undesirable/nonexistent in plastic.  It chips, it shows scratches and can crack.  

Fake leather pads and (eco-)foam are certainly an interesting tack from hard molded surfaces.  I don't think they were being considered in the bolded text.  Much can determine decomposition of items in contact with or leaching oils from skin.  I can't say if this was a common problem with that vintage model and replacement wear items.  Honestly I'm surprised you didn't attempt making pads, but life and careers take their own toll.