IGNORED

Singxer SDA-6

43 minutes ago, SwissBear said:

Hi Simon,

Friends of mine have tested the 3D-Lab Nano player connected in I2S to the SDA-6 and they were thrilled by this combo. 

Thank you for fast response. 3D-Lab Nano player looks good. 
personally I would rather have some i2S transport than ddc between pc and dac.

regards,

Simon

Eagle has landed.  Ordered Thursday morning and already arrived noon Tuesday in California. 

I like the increased sound stage depth and detail.  These increased a bit more when using in tandem with SU-2. 

There is a bit more harshness than other sources when using it for the first time probably because the mundorf needs to charge? 

Before I plugged the dac in, I wanted to pry it open to take pictures of its innards.  But, two of the screws stripped.  I have pretty high quality hex screws too.  At least, there is a "P" in the serial # verifying it's the "Advanced" model.

I also updated Singxer driver from 4.6 to 5.0 today.

On 5/23/2021 at 7:27 PM, SwissBear said:

Yes.

But as I tried to report, the competition was not fair.

In the sense that the SDA-6 and x-26 were fed with a music flow which was not optimal, as far as I understand what is optimal today.

My best guess is that upsampling with HQPlayer, or with Aurdirvana as @DomiJi suggests, is optimal to make the best usage of the NOS possibilities of this DAC. And, as I explained, and this is my belief, respecting the original format of music, is very important to preserve the micro-dynamics of music.

I have a lot of respect for the work achieved by Jussi with HQPlayer. But my experience is just different at this point.

Hello,

how would you compare SDA-6 and X26 Pro sound wise? Which one would you prefer regardless the price?  Seems you are only one who testes both of them :)

Thanks.

On 3/25/2021 at 4:05 PM, SwissBear said:

I have had an SU-2 in my setup for some time now, driven by a Mutec REF-10, and I can assure you that this 10 MHz clock leads to better results than the oscillators of the SU-2 alone.

Both measurements and listening experience show that the implementation made by Singxer of the 10 MHz clock input is performing well, whatever clever suppositions tend to infer.

I’m running my SU-2 with an AfterDark clock with spec 113 dBc and 140 dBc at 1Hz and 10Hz.

Clock is powered by a LPS 1.2.

Even if we haven’t revealed how the SU-2 technically works with an external clock, I must say upgrading from a modified SU-1 with external 5VDC input, is a very good improvement.

If someone has found out, or has a good idea how the external clock input works, please post. 

I have bought the clocks and board suggested by @fmzip  (a few post above). I won’t be able to do the soldering myself. I’m expecting this mod to raise the SQ. Strange why Singxer isn’t offering the same them self, since it being offered as an option on the SDA-6. 

Does anyone know if SU-2 also requires Vbus ?

Have anyone experimented with removing the internal power supply, and if so, is it still a 5V that is required ?

If removing PS helps, I think a similar item like this is needed

The SU-2 also have a fuse. Has anyone tried replacing the fuse ?

I think the SU-2 is probably the best USB to SPDIF converter on the market. And especially for the price. The Mutec MC-3+USB may be equal with it’s built in SMPS. Not sure if any compares between them has been done. I see reports of replacing the SMPS in the Mutec helps. Which requires a modified Farad PS as an example. Starts to getting expensive. 

On 3/25/2021 at 6:46 PM, Superdad said:

Those are the interesting bits.  I'll run the above by @JohnSwenson to see if he can make sense of it. Perhaps it is some novel way to use a 10MHz clock to derive the audio rate clocks, though I really think there has to be some PLL in their somewhere. Again, perhaps that's what they are using the FPGA for. But there sure are easier--and cheaper--ways to derive various clock frequencies. The modern synths, chosen and implemented carefully are very high performance, though they are differential output and thus require  other converter chips to drive single-ended clock circuits.  Would be nice to see DAC and DDC makers move to all differential clock distribution on their boards. That's what we have throughput the EtherREGEN...  

On 3/25/2021 at 6:46 PM, Superdad said:

I am just rather curious as to how they are utilizing a 10MHz input to derive the audio rate clocks without any obvious clock synth.

@JohnSwenson Any suggestion how Singxer has utilized this external 10Mhz clock input ?

If Alex (and Sonore) ever lower the work pressure on you, please make the ultimate USB DDC with as much optical interfaces as possible 😀

On 3/25/2021 at 9:43 PM, patatras said:

Besides, I ordered an external 10mhz clock whose specifications are close to Mutec's Ref10 and which costs much less. As soon as it is received, I will connect it to my SU-2 and SDA-6 to listen carefully to the result.

I suppose you found same results as me and @SwissBear ? Did you purchase AfterDark clock ? At what pecs ? 

On 3/26/2021 at 5:04 PM, SwissBear said:

Yes you're right. In the SU-2, there does not seem any XMOS chip is involved in the process of USB. It seems all FPGA based.

In the SDA-6, an XMOS chip is in charge of the USB interface.

Results is quite different IMO.

So there may, or may not still be possible improvement to be done by Singxer if they like to produce an SU-3 😀 (Assuming the next upgrade, if ever, will be named SU-3). 

Well only time can tell. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2021 at 4:40 PM, Tavy said:

For the sampling rate issue (when changing from 48 to 44 ) I have just added a delay on ROON when switching format and the issues was solved.

Could you please share how to implement this playback delay in Roon? Thanks!!!

6 hours ago, Jerry said:

Could you please share how to implement this playback delay in Roon? Thanks!!!

Probably somewhere in the Settings -> Audio -> Device setup

You will find something that looks like that. The Resync Delay should be the subject of your question if I'm not mistaken.

1120809125_Screenshot2021-07-01at15_17_41.thumb.png.db2d520c776024343e9fc0b613fa024a.png

• 1 year later...
On 2/3/2021 at 9:06 PM, Miska said:

I think I can get SDA-6 Pro for myself at some point, the price isn't too bad and I'd like to do some testing with the latest AKM chip.

Miska - did you actually acquired one eventually and tested it?

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX