IGNORED

Singxer SDA-6

Sorry if this has been already covered but I would like to know if Singxer SDA -6 has a built-in volume control and can be used directly with an active speaker such as mine?
And is it good enough to be used in this way or would I need a preamp, as I don't like to have an extra component in my system. I prefer to go DAC direct to amp.
Thanks.

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

5 hours ago, SwissBear said:

SDA-6 does not have a volume button. You can adjust the volume using HQPlayer as I am doing. Alternatively, you can use a small preamp. Singxer has one which is quite cheap and good. SA-1 if I'm not mistaken. See here: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/measurements-of-singxer-sa-1-headphone-amppre-retail/

That's a shame.
I have used software volume control before and it's got even better recently, but not sure if it's as good as analog volume. I was hoping Leedh processing would be the ultimate digital volume solution but it doesn't seem to have taken off.
I guess I could give software volume control another try but it's scary to send 100% volume to my active speakers accidentally.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are happy with the sound quality and performance you could wait for the firmware update, surely they will do an update soon since they know about the problem.
Are you happy with the DAC? Asking because it's in my list of next DACs to consider. :)

On 1/31/2021 at 11:44 PM, w1000i said:

https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/singxer-sda-6-primary-direct-solution-cchd-957-femtosecond-clock-of-usb-nos-model-dsd512-ak4499-dac-decoder

Offer 30 days trail.

However, SDA-6 have better preamp than D90 with discreet resistors and quality Capacitors.

Other thing, it mentioned in their website that the help develop 2nd generation XMOS USB Chip if the translation is correct which give them a high credibility as a manufacturer.

Hi,

You say that SDA-6 has a better preamp; does it actually have a preamp/analog volume control? Or did you mean that it has a better analog conversion/output stage?

11 hours ago, DomiJi said:

The SDA-6 doesn't have a volume control...

That's what I thought/feared. The lack of volume control is what puts me off about this otherwise wonderful DAC.
I don't like to have a separate preamp and don't like software volume either.

3 hours ago, SwissBear said:

You might want to check this DAC: 

Apart from a different chip (ESS9038 x2 instead of AK4499), it has a lot of similarities with the SDA-6: 

- NOS mode to make the best out of software upsampling (HQPlayer for instance)

- high precision clock with the capability to synthesise a 10 MHz external clock if desired

- full discrete analog output stage with volume control

- similar price range

Thanks for sharing it. As it happens I am a fan of AK DAC chips.
I am also considering COS D10 which comes with a built-in pre and analog input too, the latter is useful for home cinema application.