IGNORED

Singxer SDA-6

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, SwissBear said:

I'm not sure. What I noticed with my experience with I2S is that the inability of some DACs to not use their PLL was making the use of an external clock less productive. But with AES/EBU, PLL seems to be necessary as we need to correct for the jitter introduced by the cable if I'm correct.

You need a PLL when you need to recover an external clock into usable local clock. IOW, when you are a clock slave. Like in case of S/PDIF or AES/EBU (or I2S for that matter although implementations vary).

When you have a local clock oscillator, you don't need a PLL. IOW, when you own the master clock. Like in case you are using USB or network interface like NAA.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

5 minutes ago, hopkins said:

You'll still need a clock at some point... 

Good oscillator either inside the USB-to-S/PDIF converter (if you really need to use such).

Or preferably inside the DAC, sitting right next to the actual D/A conversion stage. This is the normal case these days when using USB.

2 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Yes. You avoid jitter in the transmission. But you can also get maximum noise injection from USB into the DAC. Which is why some people like Toslink, for example. There's no ideal situation... 

But none of this requires any external 10 MHz clocks (which by definition has wrong frequency anyway).

3 hours ago, R1200CL said:

To reframe the question, does the quality if the 44.1k-base rate famil22.5792 MHz or 45.1584 MHz clock and the 48k-base rate familiy 24.576 MHz or 49.152 MHz clock matter ?

Yes, that's why I use for example Crystek CCHD-957 oscillators in my DAC prototypes. These are available at those frequencies. The effect is more definite when it is directly clocking the conversion stage inside a DAC. Also SDA-6 Pro model comes with those same oscillators.

3 hours ago, R1200CL said:

So one could assume better input to this PLL, may affect further what’s happening in a DAC ?

Yes, it makes life easier for the PLL. It doesn't translate directly into actual conversion clock performance, but it helps.

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

How a single 10 MHz can replace the function of those two internal clocks ?
Maybe there still is a chance I haven’t understood how this 10 MHz external input actual is working and it’s real mission. 

Through a programmable fractional PLL. A bit like a sample rate converter that can convert between rate families. This is also similar to audio clock generation on HDMI interface where audio clocks are generated from the video pixel clock.

When do we use a Word clock ? (WCL)

It is mostly used by studios when you need to synchronize multiple DACs or ADCs running in parallel. Since it usually runs at 44.1 kHz, it is also prone to a lot of jitter.

Will circuits that produce multiple frequencies degrade output from the clock.

You mean the ones that create multiple frequencies from single reference? Yes, usually they do.

6 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Then maybe a very good 10 MHz clock can replace the dual internal ones.

Sure it can replace, but I personally don't see a point in added complexity where result is likely quite a bit worse.

6 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Just why wouldn’t designers then use programmable fractional PLL and a 10 MHz clock in general instead of dual clocks of different frequencies ?

Because it is more complex, more expensive and produces inferior results.

It is best to have a good oscillator (like the Crystek) at the frequency you need, at the place you need. That's why you'd usually find two of such Crystek's inside a DAC, next to conversion section. The unused ones are disabled through the corresponding enable/disable pin.

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Tavy said:

Regarding different output volume for DSD vs PCM, this should have been resolved by design avoiding making volume adjustment during audition.

Ultimately it depends on mastering of the record you are listening and not on DAC design.

But AKM chips have DSD output level at -3.5 dB ref DSD +6 dB vs PCM 0 dBFS. If you want them to be "at same level", set the DSD side to DSD Direct mode and PCM side digital volume to -3.5 dB.

18 hours ago, Tavy said:

I don't plan to use any kind of up-sampling using different filters - I prefer the NOS mode and the sound of this DAC was what I was looking for.

With the SDM DAC chips, you still have the "copy the same sample N time" oversampling.

Using "NOS mode" at input rates below 352.8k gives technically pretty horrible results.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...