IGNORED

Singxer SDA-6

Hello,

I have received my SDA-6 Pro DAC last week and I start doing some tests.

The USB interface is looking almost perfect but I am more fan of AES/EBU in general so I have started some tests using my Auralic Aries G1 as streamer. I found two issues I need to share with you to see if my unit is faulty or it is something related to FW.

First – when using DSD DoP , the stream is decoded correctly but at the final audio stage I hear some noise mixed with normal signal. If  the stream is back to PCM the noise is gone.

Second- sometimes, when switching between different PCM sample rates I hear some strange repetitive noise like the PLL is not able to synchronize to the new frequency – moving to a different input quicky solves the issue – this is not happening all the time but it happens quite often.

I like the sound of SDA-6 compared with my D90 MQA – I enjoy a lot NOS mode for PCM/DSD , the reason of buying this DAC in fact.

Thank you.

Thank you SwissBear for your feedback.

I do not use external clock.

The issue I have with DSD DoP is valid as well for COAX input but not with USB.

I’m using ROON so it is not an issue to convert DSD to PCM but I would like to have all formats as native as possible (no sampling rate change, no digital filters). To my ears, the sound using AES/EBU is more natural, and I do prefer it over USB.

I am using Auralic Aries G1 as source, not the PC. Seams there is an audio mixer/switch after the DoP DSD is decoded which is introducing this noise.  This is only valid for DoP signal over SPDIF -  for PCM the noise is disappearing

Hi,

I had a reply from the manufacturer that this issue with DoP could be a firmware issue. It appears on AES/EBU and COAX inputs but not on USB.

For the sampling rate issue (when changing from 48 to 44 ) I have just added a delay on ROON when switching format and the issues was solved.

Now, I don’t know if I still have to wait for a firmware update or return the DAC to the dealer as defective.

I need a second test to confirm the issue but looks like I am the only one using this configuration.

@SwissBearYes, thank you for testing. Did you noticed any noise-floor increase when DoP is detected. In my case I have noticed on speaker first and checked with headphones after that and the noise increase was very clear. I have almost decided to return it to be changed as it seams that SPDIF interface has some issues and I suspect it is not only the FW responsible. BTW, the issues with the clock is still present but only when changing from 96kHz to 44 kHz sampling rates (I was wrong saying that the it was fixed by adding delay).

Again, no issues with USB but the sound using the AES/EBU is far more musical compared to USB at least for the music I love (classical and jazz).

@mevdincThe sound of SDA-6 is very good, I love it. I only hope to have the SPDIF interface working as it should. The only negative point I see so far is the volume difference PCM vs DSD which will request to adjust the volume between the two formats - this is very poor design decision to my view. It made the D90 MQA sound very dull. If you plan to use the USB, it works flawless but the full musicality is revealed when using AES/EBU, at least when using my streamer (Auralic Aries G1).

I don't plan to use any kind of up-sampling using different filters - I prefer the NOS mode and the sound of this DAC was what I was looking for. Seams that it was a HW fault in my unit and has to be changed. And indeed the USB is starting to show an increased musicality after one week so I might give it another shot.

Regarding different output volume for DSD vs PCM, this should have been resolved by design avoiding making volume adjustment during audition. It is not a real issue for me as I usually don't mix them as I play full albums at once so I can make the adjustment when the format is changed

33 minutes ago, SwissBear said:

Did you try the switch thing ?

Yes, I have put the SW OFF (thank you for this suggestion) and the sound was OK (but you loose one of the major benefit) and that is why I will send the unit for replacement (or even cancel my order - I did not take any decision yet).

Can you please try without external clock - SW 8 ON and see if you notice the problem?

19 minutes ago, DomiJi said:

What format do other SDA 6 owners prefer? PCM or DSD? 

I use DSD upsampling via Roon with smooth minimal filter... 

With D90 DAC I have used the same DSD upsampling but with SDA-6 there is no need - NOS is the best solution. Of course it depends on your audio system and how good the analogue audio filters are . In my case I use Yamaha AS2200 with ProAc DT8 speakers. I use ROON with only room correction activated.

• 2 weeks later...

@sonodynesrp205 Hi,

I am using it in a 2ch speaker system and sounds better compared with my Oppo 203 (AK4490) and better than D90 MQA DAC (the same AK4499 chipset).

If it will sound better in your system it is difficult to tell. You have to try it yourself. And the burn in period is quite long but gives very good results after that (I was disappointed when I have received the replacement for the first defective one as the sound was not at the same level but after 4 days of usage 24/7 the audio quality is now much better).

If you identified the DAC as the weakest link in your system than maybe it worth a try

• 2 weeks later...