IGNORED

Singxer SDA-6

How does SDA6 compare to D90/SU2??  I am currently using D90MQA/SU2 and find it very listenable especially with Sikai branded HDMI cable found on amz. D90MQA sounds very good but a bit flat and narrow.  SU2 fixes these and am spoiled by the amount of air around the instruments now.  But, you claim SDA6/SU2 is even better.  So, got me curious.

10 hours ago, SwissBear said:

Hi,

My experience with D90/SU-2 was hectic. Combined with HQPlayer, this setup was producing large clicks/pops when changing formats or sample rates. This damaged one of my tweeters so I had to send the D90 back.

Apart from that, I noticed a presentation of the sound which was vey detailed, but a little bit matt for my taste, as much as the x-Sabre/SU-2 was very detailed but a bit bright for my taste. The SDA-6/SU-2 is right in the middle, just transparent sound-wise.

A lot of air and instruments separation too, whether the SDA-6 alone or in connexion to the SU-2. I have a slight preference for the SU-2 connexion as it seems to offer a little more darkness, airiness and separation in my system.

The SDA-6 alone seems a little more detailed though.

Hope this helps.

[EDIT] I would add to this that the D90 is using its PLL when fed through I2S. This limits the usage of DSD to DSD256. When using an SDA-6, you can go up to DSD1024 or PCM768 is you see fit.

How would you compare D90 by itself with D90/SU2?  D90 MQA by itself is a little "matte" in my system but, if anything, could be a bit bright with SU2.  Usually I like darker "NOS" sounding dacs but SU2 brings so much more pluses in other areas.

I bought the SU2 a few months ago and never regretted it but now am tinkering whether I should've sold D90 MQA and put funds from SU2 and D90 MQA into SDA6.  That said, I am perfectly happy with D90MQA/SU2.  I don't have any functional issues as you did as I don't use HQPlayer.  I just use foobar, yt and tidal.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, fmzip said:

I agree. There's not much talk of the SU-2. I really lucked out with my Kitsune SU-2, found it used for $350 :)

I think I saw the ad but wasn't sure about whether I actually wanted it at the time.  Now I do wonder about the improvements but not curious enough to spend marginal time and money.  Perfectly happy with my system, first time since forever.

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2021 at 9:52 AM, patatras said:

I received my 10Mhz Afterdark external clock (Emperor Double Crown). Its noise phase is -118db at 1hz and -142db at 10hz.

Pierre

May I ask where you purchased it from?  There is a seller on audiogon offering 1 month trial and might bite.

How does the clock connect to the system?  Only BNC from Afterdark to SU2, and USB is from source to SU2?

Could you also please explain the noise phase?  I see on afterdark page each phase spec has it's on price point.

Did you get 50 or 75ohm output to SU-2?

I was pretty sure that my next upgrade is the SDA6 then all this talk about 10mhz external clocks.  I tried my best to not read them but now my eyes got tainted.

Please help evaluate my options:

1) Upgrade D90 MQA to SDA6 PRO.  Plus: NOS (I LOVE NOS). Plus: Sell D90 to fund half of it. 

2) Keep D90 MQA and SU2 and add Afterdark Queen w/ LPSU and BNC. Should be about the same outlay as option 1.  But, will it sound better than option 1?  Minus: Have to deal with more boxes and cables.  Minus: Probably will take a hit on resale.

3) Keep D90 MQA and SU2 and add Afterdark Emperor Double Crown w/ LPSU and BNC.  How will this option sound compared to option 1?  Plus: Should sound better than option 1 but at twice the outlay.  Plus: Should make me not upgrade clocks if this is the consensus sweetspot whereas the Queen will leave me wondering.

If I go with option 2 or 3, then I am considering the afterdark LPSU because it has dual outputs and it can benefit the Matrix H Card in my pc which is currently powered by an IFI 12v iPower adapter.  I could also get an ebay LPSU with dual output for half the price.  And, I would probably get an Oyaide BNC 75ohm cable.  Currently, am a fan of their cables.

Apologize for the serial posts.  But, there is a 4th option to weigh on.

4) Pink Faun I2S PCIE bridge.  Plus: Doesn't take up any room (resides in SFX case).  Plus: Can sell my Matrix H Card to partially fund.  Plus: Can upgrade clock either OCXO or Ultra OCXO.  Minus: Needs to be sent in to modify if you change DACs.  Minus: Lack of reviews and comparisons.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, SwissBear said:

The last one of what ? T90 or SDA-6 ?

The last SDA6 on Aoshida's ebay page.  Other sellers still have them in stock but I surmise the inventory level should be low. 

If it matters, I cancelled the order with Aoshida and bought from Apos (who I believe is same store as Shenzhenaudio but based in Northern California) since they are more local to me and turns out I had store credit with them. 

Actually wasn't aware of the D90SE.  I don't know how to read graphs.  Are the measurements like leaps and bounds better than that of D90's which was already the king of measured dacs according to ASR?  I do have bias against ESS chips... so no buyer remore... yet.

@SwissBear well, I had similar experience when I added SU-2.  At first I was amazed at the increase in smoothness and air particularly in the highs as well as expansion in soundstage.  But, after awhile, it got boring.  Something was missing in the mids.  There was a lack of friction or warmth.  I solved this with cable changes mostly exchanging thin silver for older school thicker copper.  I also stopped using Jplay and just use Singxer's audio driver.  My most recent change is from ClearDay Shotgun silver speaker cables to Duelund tinned copper 16ga speaker cables.  This change is almost as revelatory as adding the SU-2 by filling in the mid and bottom with warmth and color altogether a good match with SU-2/D90MQA.  ordered more Duelund cables to make RCA.  btw, I switched to Oyaide Tunami power cable on the SU-2 and this also helped.

Eagle has landed.  Ordered Thursday morning and already arrived noon Tuesday in California. 

I like the increased sound stage depth and detail.  These increased a bit more when using in tandem with SU-2. 

There is a bit more harshness than other sources when using it for the first time probably because the mundorf needs to charge? 

Before I plugged the dac in, I wanted to pry it open to take pictures of its innards.  But, two of the screws stripped.  I have pretty high quality hex screws too.  At least, there is a "P" in the serial # verifying it's the "Advanced" model.

I also updated Singxer driver from 4.6 to 5.0 today.

• 3 weeks later...