IGNORED

EtherRegen A to B side and b to A side SQ comparison

Hello All,

I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but I'd like to ask about the EtherRegen's possible performance drop when fed fed from the "B" side with output to the "A" side. I use a Sonore OpticalRendu as my Roon end point and would like to replace my StarTech FMC to either a Sonore optical module or an ER. I'd like to keep the number of "boxes" at a minimum (less PSUs, also), so I don't want to use both. I know that the ER is meant to be used from the A side to the B while it's possible the other way round. Is the ER capable of delivering the very same sonic performance from the B side to the A compared to A -> B?

Please help, I'm a bit lost...

Thank you,

Ferenc

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again John,

I think I'm going to buy the ER providing better SQ than the oM.

Just one more question: having the ER and the opticalRendu in my system does this mean that due to optical isolation the quality of the upstream elements of my network (modem, router) are almost irrelevant (provided the ER and the oR are fed with very good quality power)?

I would just like to determine whether the purchase of a more expensive router/switch would have a major impact on SQ.

Thank you,

Ferenc

7 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

I found the StarTech FMC to be doing harm in my system - even though it was upstream of my EtherRegen.  It contributed to harshness that vanished when I swapped it for an opticalModule.  I think the EtherRegen would be a very good move for you to make.

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience with the StarTech FMC - I feel that smg is not right in my system. While playing very smoothly via CD (this is an all Audio Note system) the streaming sounds harsh and edgy. I'll surely swap it for an oM or ER.

5 hours ago, GryphonGuy said:

Don't muck around, EtherREGEN fed by optic fibre, in my system at least, is far and away worth any money to achieve. My DAC has pristine audio since doing this. You won't regret it. EtherREGEN all the way.

Regards

GG

Thanks GG for your advice. In my case I would utilize the ER as an FMC, too - so I would use it from side B -> A, but I'm sure it's still a lot better this way than using the StarTech FMC.