IGNORED

New LPS for PC: HDplex or Mpaudio (or other)

al2813

Hi, a few months ago I bought a second hand Audio PC. The one point identified as requiring an immediate upgrade was the power supply. The PC came with an internal LPS board of a rather low quality. As I was a bit low on funds having bought numerous components end of last year, I went for a Teradak LPS just for the motherboard (using the alternative DC in available). Although I did get an improvement in SQ, my two cards (Jcat 1.1 USB + WaveIO usb to I2S/SPDIF) are still fed by the existing power supply, and I would like to change this. I have been looking at Mpaudio who do high quality boards as a 121 replacement for the internal board. However this solution has limitations which means I am also looking at HDplex that offers a lot of advantages, but am not sure from a pure quality (plus it costs more). Anyone used the two or has other options to propose? 

40 minutes ago, davide256 said:

The HDPlex's I had tended to fail if you used them for frequent fiddling and comparison testing, ok for the casual user who connects them up and rarely

changes anything afterwards.

How frequent? I like to move things around, but it's not like that I bring in new equipment every week.....

What about quality of the power supply itself? 

10 minutes ago, al2813 said:

How frequent? I like to move things around, but it's not like that I bring in new equipment every week.....

What about quality of the power supply itself? 

The first unit I had fail was an HDPlex100, it worked well for 2 years but failed when I got a different DC supply and was A/B comparison testing. The second unit

I had was an HDPlex200, it worked fine for 60 days, then failed on the 19V lead when doing A/B comparison swapping, replaced under warranty. So basically its not

lab grade quality. Sound wise the HDPlex200 was better "controlled" than a SoTM SPS-500 but it was not the cleanest of supplies compared to Uptone Audio JS-2, LPS 1.2.

But the latest HDPlex300 has better regulators so should be an improvement over the HDPlex200

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I had the HDPlex 200, which worked well for a few years. I started having issues, and discovered that the adjustable output (to a ultraRendu at that point) had stopped working correctly. The voltage out was 24v or so, and not affected by rotating the pot. It was powering the NUC at 19v appropriately.

I recently did a new build with HDPlex H1 V3, and have the HDPlex300 on order for it, and the etherRegen.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys