IGNORED

Improving my system: Next steps?

George Hincapie

Question

I wasn't sure where to put this, so if this isn't the most appropriate forum then please move it.

I am hoping for some advice as to what to improve in my signal chain. At the moment it looks like this:

Internet > AudioStore Prestige MX server with Farad Super 3 > Ethernet > Metrum Acoustics Ambre > AES > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Metrum Acoustics Forte

I use Roon.

My music room is on the first floor of our house, so my internet connection is via a Ubiquiti AC-Pro AP uplinked to a Ubiquiti Dream Machine downstairs. Ethernet cabling is Supra.

Thoughts I have had are to replace the Prestige server with a NUC running Roon Rock, and add a switch (Bonn N8 or similar) between the AP and the server.

What do you guys think?

5 answers to this question

Have you addressed the room interaction with your speakers using REW, Dirac, Audiolense or others. Why don't you measure this with REW and find out how much your room is influencing what you hear. Buy a Umic1 and post some measurements. 

What are your room dimensions, speakers, expectations?

'More' and 'better' results when you remove problems from the playback chain - you can never improve the replay beyond what's on the recording; otherwise, you're merely adding 'makeup' to the source material, in an attempt to have it present better.

Which is why people will ask, as above, "What's wrong?". ... If you can define what you feel should be better, then some like myself can get a better handle on what's not up to scratch.