IGNORED

Ayre QB9 upgrade to 24/192

Guest Claude

My point exactly. $650 Is an over priced upgrade for a product i've already spent thousands on 2 months before the upgrade was standard. I prefer to do the upgrade myself, even if this voids the warranty. $300us to $650 Australian, surely shipping shouldn't costs 300 or so dollars to Australia for a PCB?

I've asked my dealer why so pricey, and not yet got a reply back.

Roon  |  Metrum Acoustics Ambre Streamer & Onyx NOS DAC  |  Nakamichi BX-300  |  Technics SL-1210GAE & Ortofon 2M Black  |  Yamaha T-7

McIntosh MA352  |  JBL L82 Classic  |  Inakustik Interconnects & Speaker Cabling  |  IsoTek Power Management

absurd to compare small high end audio companies with very limited resources to Sony and Pioneer:

"I can order high end Sony or Pioneer parts from their European/Japnese Centre postage inclusive within a few days. I am not even trade."

It is just not relevant at all.

Blaine-I would suggest contacting Ayre's Australian Distributor with your question-and use the phone, you are much more likeley to get decent service with a phone call. Your dealer is probably just charging the a price which is set by the distributor.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Competitiveness and Service has nothing to do with size of company. Compare instead service from dCS, Meridian versus some US companies operating in Europe, Eurasia.

Larger consumer companies generally do not offer service that niche companies do, US or otherwise.

fmak

Is cost of goods, specifically, the 24/192 USB upgrade for the Ayre QB-9. This upgrade requires both the replacement of hardware (the complete USB receiver board) and a software upgrade. I have already explained how foreign distribution typically adds costs which need to be covered by higher pricing at the retail level-this applies equally to the costs of upgrades.

Small audio companies, and their distributors, need to make money, they do not have the luxury of selling hundreds of thousands of units to spread costs over as do giant corporations like Sony. They also do not have the kind of staffing that a large company has, and are often operating "at the limit" of feasability, especially when it comes to foreign distribution. An example: a large company like Sony can easily afford to have a large warehouse, stocked with replacement parts, in every country in which it operates. A small audio company (and/or their distributor) cannot afford the same luxury, as they do not have the cash reserves to make this possible.

Every company wants to offer the best service possible to its overseas customers, but finding and employing (managing) a foreign distributor to do this is very difficult. The small audio company does not have the resources to really manage the distributor, and must find a distributor it trusts to do a good job-in my experience, this can be very difficult, often impossible.

My main point to the OP, is that he should contact the dealer first, and then the distributor with his questions.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

• 2 weeks later...