IGNORED

Ayre QB9 upgrade to 24/192

Guest Claude

Hi,

I want to upgrade my QB-9 from 24/96 to 24/192 capability. Has anyone here on this forum already done this upgrade and if so, what are your experiences? Does the upgrade also improve the sound of files up to 24/96 or does it "only" add the higher rates?

Greetings from Berlin

Claudius

The 192 kHz upgrade replace the USB receiver PCB with a new one and also requires a firmware upgrade to "activate" the rear panel DIP switches to select either Class One or Class Two Audio. There is no change in sound quality, just the added features.

That is why we did not change the model name. When we improve the sound of a product, we change the model name (eg, "AX-7" to "AX-7e"). It is only important for the person who must have the latest of everything, as there are so few music files beyond 96 kHz. It also requires more stringent specifications from your computer. Please go to:

www.ayre.com/usb.htm and navigate to "Beyond 96 kHz".

Charles Hansen

Dumb Analog Hardware Engineer
Former Transducer Designer

Thanks Charles.

I think about to which category I belong. ;-)

By the way, I am very satisfied with the sound and everybody hearing the QB-9 is floored (some of them have megabuck CD-frontends). Sadly there are not many dealers in Berlin who know about computeraudio. I bought the QB-9 directly from the distributor because there was not one dealer who wanted to stock Ayre in 2009. It changed now, but there is not one QB-9 on display in Berlin.

Ever thought about a road trip to Germany? You could team up with Willi Bauer which is highly respected for his dps turntable (I actually think about buying one). Invite this guy who does in tubes and while your at it, pack Chris in your bag. If a road trip is too much, you all could start with the HighEnd in Munich?

Greetings from Berlin

Claudius

Thank you for the kind words. I would love to travel through Germany (especially with Willi who is a dear friend), but I cannot since my accident left me paralyzed:

www.ayre.com/davies.htm

I will check with our international sales manager. The trip would have to be coordinated by our distributor to find the dealers that would be interested. Conducting seminars is always a good way to educate both the dealer and the customer. Otherwise you have to figure everything out on your own. Some people can do that, but not everyone.

We try to help with our USB setup instructions on our website. Luckily for you, your English is excellent! I could not write those instructions in German or any other language...

Charles Hansen

Dumb Analog Hardware Engineer
Former Transducer Designer

Charlie,

I have to say that is the first time I have ever heard you say "I can't." I was devastated when I heard of your accident, (my uncle had a c3-4 transection in a bike accident prior to yours and was left quadriplegic). Since medical school, I have always thought SCIs seemed an injury we should be able to do more about. Interestingly, now that we have federal approval of stem cell research, the funding should increase for SCI labs. Down here in Miami, the project to cure paralysis has been working on the problem since the 80s. Each of these researchers adds a little to the knowledge base, and we will get there. Thanks for discussing your injury, and helping great scientists raise the money they need, to find the cures we need. If you need lifting assistance to tour Europe, I'll volunteer!

Keep up the good work!

Brad E. Oren, M.D.

2.26 GHz Mac Mini (Late 2009), 8 GB RAM, 2 External Seagate 7200 RPM 1TB / Firewire 800/ Wavelength Wavelink/ Berkeley Audio Alpha DAC / Nordost Blue Heaven IC / Musical Fidelity KW 750 / Nordost Blue Heaven Speaker cable/ Magnepan MG 3.6r with MYE stands / Custom purpose built listening room

This hit me straight in my heart. My brother did not survive an accident quite similar to yours. Glad you did.

And I am happy to hear that you are thinking about a tour. I imagine that is quite some work. Nevertheless I havnt heard of any computeraudiophile seminars at dealers in Germany. So you could be right at the digital frontier in Krautland. AND: We need education. Go East! ;-)

Your setup instructions are excellent. Most german audiophiles should be able to read and understand them. Thats not the reason why computeraudio is still treated a bit like a mother in law (a german saying, I dont know the english equivalent). Most audiophiles I know are very conservative.

I will gladly assist in finding a first rate berlin based dealer.

Danke für das Kompliment (that is German and means "thanks for the compliment"). Now that you've learned some German...

Greetings from Berlin

Claudius

By the way: I now know to what category I belong and I wish I would belong to the other.

good point Akapod. And you can listen to 24/192 which presumably sounds better. ;-)

I havnt thought of that. But most of the time I prefer Pure Music without upsampling.

Thanks

Claudius

• 4 months later...

I'd like to update my Ayre QB-9, i bought it only 2 months before the 192 version came out.

So I enquired last year, it was $500 Australian. thought this was little too expensive (took me quite a few months saving to afford the Ayre). Then few months had passed and thought i'll go ahead and get the upgrade. I asked about the price again, now it's $650 Australian!! Which i find a little odd as our dollar is really strong against the US right now. is a shame.

Roon  |  Metrum Acoustics Ambre Streamer & Onyx NOS DAC  |  Nakamichi BX-300  |  Technics SL-1210GAE & Ortofon 2M Black  |  Yamaha T-7

McIntosh MA352  |  JBL L82 Classic  |  Inakustik Interconnects & Speaker Cabling  |  IsoTek Power Management

Thanks Claude,

That equals $484 Australian. $650 Australian is a huge difference and find it unfair.

Roon  |  Metrum Acoustics Ambre Streamer & Onyx NOS DAC  |  Nakamichi BX-300  |  Technics SL-1210GAE & Ortofon 2M Black  |  Yamaha T-7

McIntosh MA352  |  JBL L82 Classic  |  Inakustik Interconnects & Speaker Cabling  |  IsoTek Power Management

This is why I avoid buying US stuff unless they satisfy all my criteria in the beginningh. Krell in UK wanted to charge me £300 for 2 minutes work in changing my Krell 20i from 220 to 240V! (ran hot otherwise). I raised hell at the HiFi News show with Dan Augustino in public and his minions then emailed me instructions straight away.

US companies haven't learnt how to service overseas customers and for this they deserve a huge balance of payment deficit.

Just take note of the hundreds of US offers on ebay uk that want to charge $30 for delivering $50 worth of hardware. Wonder why they bother listing.

fmak

i'm not against US stuff, and I'm glad i bought the ayre. I just find it unfair for an upgrade that Germany has one price and Australia has $170 added. why is this? there should be no reason for it?

Hi,

unable to ask Ayre, there is no contact email i can see.

The upgrade is done here in Australia at the dealer, no shipping involved.

I would like to get the upgrade, but i find the price too much.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was your upgrade?

thanks,

yep, aussie upgrade is way too expensive, or the dealer is having me on.

Having worked for a US audio company, I think I can can explain some of the pricing differences in different countries. Audio companies are generally small, and they almost always rely on distributors in foreign countries to sell and service their products, as there is no other practical way to have foreign distribution. Here in the US products are sold direct to dealers from the manufacturer, with one mark up and a low shipping cost (and no additional costs). For foreign distribution products are sold from the manufacturer, to the deistributor, to the dealer with two markups, expensive overseas shipping costs, and additional taxes and fees for importing. The shipping costs, taxes, and fees will vary by country, within the US there are no taxes associated with a sale from manufacturer to dealer.

These same costs are responsible for US residents paying higher prices for European gear than we pay for domestic gear.

Without a distributor, it would likely be impossible for small audio companies to offer their gear in foreign countries, as they do not have the resources, to market and service the gear there.

The distributor is usually responsible for servicing and marketing gear in foreign countries, and as such must make some money in the process, hence the higher pricing. If one has questions about the pricing of an American made component in a foreign country, these questions should be directed to their countries distributor first. While it may seem an annoyance to deal with a distributor, if one ever needs service (or to make an upgrade like this) one will be happy they can get the product serviced locally rahter than having to ship it back to the US.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Thanks Barrows,

All makes sense, but my thinking, a small PCB should not be that expensive to ship over in the first place. i guess i'm concerned about The $150 mark-up from 500 to $650 over just a couple of months. I'll ask my dealer why this increase.

What you say is true. However, there is a big difference by way of product support and service. Some US companies behave sensibly and will ship a pcb with installation instructions (like the one you worked for if you are the Barrows that I think I dealt with sometime ago), and those who are indifferent towards supporting overseas customers. The case in point was Krell wanting to charge £300 for changing voltage on my 20i, and in the case under discussion,a premium for going 96 to 192k (no big deal from what I understand).

There is also the case that some US shippers insist on using EXPENSIVE shippers who impose additional service charges and even taxes on recipients. There is nothing wrong in my experience with USPS which is reasonable and reliable. With a small pakage by USPS, the likelyhood is no taxes or charges.

As an example, I can order a LARGE item of domestic machinery within the EU from say, Amazon uk and only pay e15 for transport over 1000+ miles. There is no way of doing this when US companies insist on overpriced carriers. If the machine goes wring within guarantee, they will pay return postage which can be e50 and send a replacement.

This is the kind of service that really keep customers happy.

When UK distributors for US firms charge £ for dollar and do not provide adequte support, then this is where I say goodbye.

With Japanese high end, one can genrally order replacement parts thru service points/agents, with fast delivery and at reasonable prices, although there is zero direct support from the Japnese end though.

fmak

I think that high end companies do charge more for upgrades etc. But that's what they do. They do low volume and earn a living from it. Shipping overseas is expensive. I just paid $70(cheapest way) to ship a $300 item to Sweden which I sold on ebay. That's how it is. Shipping within the USA is much less expensive but it isn't $15 too ship large machinery 1000 miles.

I work in a service business and I notice that everyone wants everything for nothing but they want to get paid $150/hour for everything they do. I actually confronted an unreasonable lawyer once and told him we charge $275/hour and bill him for 15 mminutes everytime he calls. The calls stopped quickly.

BTW I'll bet Weiss upgrades aint cheap. Do they even do upgrades?

"BTW I'll bet Weiss upgrades aint cheap. Do they even do upgrades?"

The Weiss Medea can be upgraded to the Medea + (new DAC and new analog output stages). I am sure you are right that this upgrade will not be cheap.

One thing that is nice about Ayre is that they generally design solid products, and offer upgrades, rather than new models whenever possible, and the upgrades are often very reasonable in price. Many companies would just introduce new models, and force the customer to buy the new model if they wanted the performance upgrade. The upgrade from K5-xe to K5-xeMP for my preamp gave a significant performance improvement (as if I purchased a higher price preamp) for a very affordable price.

Distributors who import high end audio components have a lot of expenses (shipping costs, taxes, import duties, the cost of running a service department, and marketing costs) which do not apply to non imported products, the distributors have to charge more to offset their costs, it is as simple as that.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio