IGNORED

Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC

I had the lampizator amber 3 DAC when I tried the Denafrips. I was able to upgrade to the ga trp through the “trade up” program that lampizator offers. So I ended up doing it. I still think for the music that I listen to, tubes are great! Tubes do produce some distortion but it makes me enjoy the music. It makes me relax, so stuck with the tubes. However I am now curious to try the Denafrips with the Gaia if I get another opportunity.

Great YouTube review. However I am not sure if I'd categorize Denafrips TP sound as "Analog like" sound. The DAC sounds very clean without adding any color, however I (IMHO) feel it has to be a little more warmer to be categorized as "analog like". May be since I've heard the Lampizator GA TRP which in my opinion is very analog sounding, I feel this way. Again its just my perception.

• 4 weeks later...

The Terminator Plus featuring premier, precision Oven Controlled Crystal Oscillators.

The OCXOs are hand-crafted, calibrated, and hand-picked for absolute lowest jitter. The two independent OCXOs cater for native 44.1kHz and 48kHz based audio frequency family.

TPlus Unboxing (18)R.jpg

Take a closer look of the DENAFRIPS Terminator Plus R-2R DAC!

https://www.denafrips.com/single-post/terminator-plus-unboxing

Alvin Chee, Vinshine Audio Pte. Ltd (Singapore)

Loyalty Program

A small gesture initiative to reward our Loyal Customers - Loyalty Program - Join Us Now!

On 1/18/2021 at 9:05 PM, audiofool1982 said:

Great YouTube review. However I am not sure if I'd categorize Denafrips TP sound as "Analog like" sound. The DAC sounds very clean without adding any color, however I (IMHO) feel it has to be a little more warmer to be categorized as "analog like". May be since I've heard the Lampizator GA TRP which in my opinion is very analog sounding, I feel this way. Again its just my perception.

My take on 'analog like':
I believe 'analog like' sound is generally used by those who believe the analog is still better than digital as source. So, it is used to indicate that the DAC in question is almost as good as analog.
I never used a tube based/supported DAC or amp so I guess in that case tubes must add warmth to the sound that you are referring to.

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/27/2021 at 12:19 PM, Stereophilus said:

Enter Roon DSP.  Upsampling 44 and 88 material to 176, and upsampling 48 and 96 to 192 in Roon DSP transforms the T-plus from a un-engaging detail driven monster, to a real contender for the Makua DAC.  The upsampling brings much needed life to the T-plus, without loss of detail or focus.  Even switching between the different upsampling filters gives very different sound signatures.  In comparison, the Makua DAC is mostly ambivalent to software upsampling, the exception being when it is fed music upsampled to DSD, which sounds very marginally worse than the original.  The Makua DAC still retains a certain “live” and spacious quality that the upsample-fed T-plus can’t quite match, but T-plus counters with its greater detail and image focus.  To pick between them would have to be a matter of personal preference.  

Caveats:

1) USB is probably not the best input for either DAC.  I only used this to keep the comparison simple and fair.

2) The T-plus could almost certainly be further improved upon with HQ-player upsampling, instead of Roon DSP.  I did not try this.

3) The Gaia DDC reportedly adds to the T-plus performance as well.  I did not try this.

4) The Makua DAC has a built in streamer which sounds more detailed and focussed sound than the USB input.  I did not use this in the comparison.

If you get a chance, you should try Roon upsampling on the TP again to DSD512. It's not as resource/component intensive as HQPlayer at all, but it's still quite nice. The regular Terminator has gotten a decent amount of feedback about being a great performer on DSD512 since the gen 2 DSP upgrade last year. 

That was a wonderful review. Thanks for taking the time to put it together for everyone.

On 4/20/2021 at 6:30 PM, Ben-M said:

If you get a chance, you should try Roon upsampling on the TP again to DSD512. It's not as resource/component intensive as HQPlayer at all, but it's still quite nice. The regular Terminator has gotten a decent amount of feedback about being a great performer on DSD512 since the gen 2 DSP upgrade last year. 

That was a wonderful review. Thanks for taking the time to put it together for everyone.

Glad you enjoyed my take on it.  I see Chris has taken up where my review left off and has gone into even greater depths with his official review (of the Terminator).  If I ran a system based around HQplayer, I think the T-plus would have to be the perfect dance partner.  You could tweak the sound almost infinitely.  Unfortunately my time trialling the the T-plus was limited to 5 days.  I did return it, but I remain intrigued by it.

• 2 months later...

And the journey continues .... T+ DE version 😅😅

20210707_210637.png

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

• 1 month later...