IGNORED

Desktop Speakers For Apple Pro Display XDR

Hi Guy, my iMac 5K from 2014 is finally ready to retire as my every day computer. I ordered a new Mac Mini M1, the fasted Mac ever made for single core performance, and an Apple Pro Display XDR. I stretched my budget beyond all recognition but I figure I'll use this monitor for a long time and can replace the Mini for a reasonable price when needed. 

Question: Can you recommend some good desktop speakers that are small and aesthetically pleasing like the XDR display? I mainly use them for video calls as I have my main system and RAAL-requisite SR1a headphones for high quality music. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Are you looking for a all in one speaker? Like Dac and amp. Or just powered?

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

5 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

What would you consider aesthetically pleasing? Wood? Solid colors? Aluminum to match?

These are un-powered, however they sound great, a bit midrange specific, and are excellent in nearfield. Can be powered by nearly anything as they are also very efficient.

https://omegaloudspeakers.com/collections/monitor-speakers

I don't discriminate. Nice looking is nice looking, whether it's McIntosh, D'Agostino, or Marten speakers. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I don't discriminate. Nice looking is nice looking, whether it's McIntosh, D'Agostino, or Marten speakers. 

I may or may not know for a fact that Omega is willing to work with you on the wood used on a pair of speakers you buy from them.

edit: just to be clear, it's a veneer.

No electron left behind.

Airpulse A80...would the Blue clash with Apple White?  Airpulse A80 - Edifier USA

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

16 minutes ago, jcbenten said:

Airpulse A80...would the Blue clash with Apple White?  Airpulse A80 - Edifier USA

If the design is ok and you do not look for contrast but for white with white,
the A100 would help, however they are significantly bigger than the A80.
If you're after Studio monitor qualities, the A300 pro (big, bulky and Black/Red-brownish)
are sq wise in a different galaxy ...

Although from the aesthetics I might prefer the KEF LSX or LS50 meta for company with your new screen.

The KEF's LS50 anything may be to big for your desktop.  I tried my wireless versions for awhile on my desk but ended up using them on stands about 3 feet behind the desk, then back to there usual set up.  The smaller versions would work fine.

Lets go big first, Wilson TuneTot's in matching color to your main speakers. If you have an integrated amp that your sharing with your Raal's then this could work.  I'd also suggest Magnepan's Mini Maggie system. This could be your all electrostatic desk environment system.

If you'd like you can borrow my iLoud MTM speakers and see if this is something that may interest you.  They have amazing bass for there size and they come in white.  If your nice I'll toss in the RME ADI-2 DACfs for fun. You can use this to compare with anything else you have on hand.  The spectrum analyzer is fun to gaze at while watching YouTube vids. The speakers are powered only,  no DAC.  I'd be curious if the RME DAC can run your RAAL's.

There's always Audioengine but they seem kind of bland in todays tech but they may meet your requirements.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

31 minutes ago, ShawnC said:

The KEF's LS50 anything may be to big for your desktop.  I tried my wireless versions for awhile on my desk but ended up using them on stands about 3 feet behind the desk, then back to there usual set up.  The smaller versions would work fine.

Lets go big first, Wilson TuneTot's in matching color to your main speakers. If you have an integrated amp that your sharing with your Raal's then this could work.  I'd also suggest Magnepan's Mini Maggie system. This could be your all electrostatic desk environment system.

If you'd like you can borrow my iLoud MTM speakers and see if this is something that may interest you.  They have amazing bass for there size and they come in white.  If your nice I'll toss in the RME ADI-2 DACfs for fun. You can use this to compare with anything else you have on hand.  The spectrum analyzer is fun to gaze at while watching YouTube vids. The speakers are powered only,  no DAC.  I'd be curious if the RME DAC can run your RAAL's.

There's always Audioengine but they seem kind of bland in todays tech but they may meet your requirements.

You raise two things, for sure, about which I’m thinking. TuneTot and the Magnepan desktop speakers. TuneTots may be just too big. I need to figure out how to treat the walls behind the speakers if I try the maggies. I saw Wendell set them up with about 6 feet behind them wide open. 

5 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

You raise two things, for sure, about which I’m thinking. TuneTot and the Magnepan desktop speakers. TuneTots may be just too big. I need to figure out how to treat the walls behind the speakers if I try the maggies. I saw Wendell set them up with about 6 feet behind them wide open. 

It's been awhile since I was there but Audio Perfection has had both of these on display.  May be worth checking out.

1 minute ago, AudioDoctor said:

Really? Tune Tots?  And where the heck did they find space for Mini Maggies?

The Tune Tots were set up in the room on the right where the 1.7 and 3.7 are usually set up.  The Mini's were in the headphone room, if I recall on the left side first side room.  It's been long time since I've been there though.  Can always call.  Those Tots packed a punch for their size.  Of course the Tots were connected to all Audio Research preamps and amps at the time.

10 minutes ago, ShawnC said:

The Tune Tots were set up in the room on the right where the 1.7 and 3.7 are usually set up.  The Mini's were in the headphone room, if I recall on the left side first side room.  It's been long time since I've been there though.  Can always call.  Those Tots packed a punch for their size.  Of course the Tots were connected to all Audio Research preamps and amps at the time.

Everyone knows you need a few tens of thousands of dollars worth of amplification for the Tune Tots...

No electron left behind.

4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I did 🤢

I bet its nice though!

edit: I am, and have been, in the market for a new monitor for a while now and the cheapness of the stands on all of them except that one, is astonishing. Even on the nice monitors.

No electron left behind.

5 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I bet its nice though!

edit: I am, and have been, in the market for a new monitor for a while now and the cheapness of the stands on all of them except that one, is astonishing. Even on the nice monitors.

Agree. I just had to get it. 

Plus, I had to get the $200 web cam built specifically for this display because the quality is better than the others and thus display has no built-in camera.