IGNORED

Revolution DAC – Sudden very loud noise burst, then no output

Hi Allo Support,

I purchased a Revolution DAC plus USBridge Signature combination (with Volumio) at the end of October 2020. Very light usage since then, about 10 to 15 hours a week on average. They are inter-connected using the special flex USB cable. The USBridge is powered by a Nirvana, and Revolution by the 3A side of a Shanti. The only source I use is a USB memory stick.

They have become unusable.

After startup, music will play for about 2 minutes, then I hear a very loud burst of what sounds like white noise for 1 second or so, and then silence, no output anymore.

According to the Volumio interface, music seems to still be playing. If I select a new track to play, Volumio shows a message in red: “…Error opening ALSA device…”. In settings, mixer type shows “undefined”.

The only way out of this state is to shut down both units. Typically, after the first restart I can reset the mixer to hardware. The DAC plays but does not respond to any volume change command from Volumio. I must re-save playback settings and do a second complete shutdown and power back on sequence of both units for things to get back to normal. And then Revolution will work for maybe 2 minutes until it all happens again.

Completely unusable.

Unrelated issue: the USBridge has not always been perfect either since I bought it. On startup, the red light normally turns on and off a few times until Volumio becomes available. On a few occasions, it happened that the red light immediately came on and stayed on (no flashing) and nothing else happened. Volumio never became available even after 10-15 minutes. I had to power it off and restart everything.

Are these known issues? Any known fixes or workarounds?

Thanks,

P.

2 hours ago, sadl01 said:

Hi Allo Support,

I purchased a Revolution DAC plus USBridge Signature combination (with Volumio) at the end of October 2020. Very light usage since then, about 10 to 15 hours a week on average. They are inter-connected using the special flex USB cable. The USBridge is powered by a Nirvana, and Revolution by the 3A side of a Shanti. The only source I use is a USB memory stick.

They have become unusable.

After startup, music will play for about 2 minutes, then I hear a very loud burst of what sounds like white noise for 1 second or so, and then silence, no output anymore.

According to the Volumio interface, music seems to still be playing. If I select a new track to play, Volumio shows a message in red: “…Error opening ALSA device…”. In settings, mixer type shows “undefined”.

The only way out of this state is to shut down both units. Typically, after the first restart I can reset the mixer to hardware. The DAC plays but does not respond to any volume change command from Volumio. I must re-save playback settings and do a second complete shutdown and power back on sequence of both units for things to get back to normal. And then Revolution will work for maybe 2 minutes until it all happens again.

Completely unusable.

Unrelated issue: the USBridge has not always been perfect either since I bought it. On startup, the red light normally turns on and off a few times until Volumio becomes available. On a few occasions, it happened that the red light immediately came on and stayed on (no flashing) and nothing else happened. Volumio never became available even after 10-15 minutes. I had to power it off and restart everything.

Are these known issues? Any known fixes or workarounds?

Thanks,

P.

Forwarded PM please check