IGNORED

Best software to automate metadata tagging for DSF (is this solution even available?)

PrTv

I made a switch from MBP+Audirvana to a dedicated transporter/streamer (Aurender), and as the Aurender does not support SACD ISO (no one does actually), I had to convert the ISO into DSF. I know that iso2dsd (Java) can do this and I tried it with great success. However, when it comes to tagging (artist/album/cover/genres/etc) it took a lot of time as this needs to be manual, and given the number of albums I have, it takes forever.

Is there any program (can be paid or free) to help with the followings:

- Scanning and adding metadata based on album to each and every song in a given album/folder/ISO image (I don't mind to scan and choose the correct version in case there are multiple versions of a given album)

- Automatically find and insert album art into the DSF file

These are my 2 requirements. I don't mind to extract ISO > DSF manually (but it'd be great if the program can do).

Thanks

PrTv

--------

Bonus question

I also have many albums in cuesheet image format that I ripped myself, and wonder whether there is any program that can read the cuesheet and split it into songs with proper metadata/cover art?

[FYI -for cuesheet rip, I will have one big WAVE or Flac file with *.cue file as a marker, and Audirvana can play this flawlessly... but not the Aurender. Aurender would just play that one big file and ignore the cuesheet market.]

I think I found the answer to my own question.

I accidentally loaded the ISO file into the machine and scanned, and it seemed the machine is so smart it extracted the DSF files out of the ISO image and deleted the ISO image for me, for all ISO files I loaded.

I guess I no longer need help now, but dont know how/if I can delete this thread... feel like a fool posting this question.

14 hours ago, PrTv said:

At the moment, it seems MusicBrainz Picard fits the bill. It's not fully automated but does a lot of weight lifting for me.

Any other options?

Yes.  With Mp3tag, the software can search the MusicBrainz and/or the Discogs database.  Also, for more accuracy, you can look up the album manually in Discogs, then populate the DISCOGS_RELEASE_ID tag with the Discogs number.  Then with Mp3tag, it can fetch the metadata for that exact album/release.

mQa is dead!

12 hours ago, PrTv said:

I think I found the answer to my own question.

I accidentally loaded the ISO file into the machine and scanned, and it seemed the machine is so smart it extracted the DSF files out of the ISO image and deleted the ISO image for me, for all ISO files I loaded.

I guess I no longer need help now, but dont know how/if I can delete this thread... feel like a fool posting this question.

Did the dsf files have the appropriate/sufficient metadata?

mQa is dead!

9 hours ago, lucretius said:

Yes.  With Mp3tag, the software can search the MusicBrainz and/or the Discogs database.  Also, for more accuracy, you can look up the album manually in Discogs, then populate the DISCOGS_RELEASE_ID tag with the Discogs number.  Then with Mp3tag, it can fetch the metadata for that exact album/release.

I, too, use Mp3tag and find that Discogs is the most useful source.  OTOH, a significant part of the time the search returns totally irrelevant options and, yet, lists it with 100% certainty.  I have gotten tired of updating Discogs.

9 hours ago, lucretius said:

Did the dsf files have the appropriate/sufficient metadata?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  Depends on the provider/source.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

4 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I, too, use Mp3tag and find that Discogs is the most useful source.  OTOH, a significant part of the time the search returns totally irrelevant options and, yet, lists it with 100% certainty.  I have gotten tired of updating Discogs.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  Depends on the provider/source.

Discogs does rely upon users to build the database.  You would think this is an area where the labels could offer a significant contribution -- instead they give us MQA.

mQa is dead!

1 hour ago, lucretius said:

Discogs does rely upon users to build the database.  You would think this is an area where the labels could offer a significant contribution -- instead they give us MQA.

Agreed.  I found the Discogs entry form a bit tedious for creating a new entry.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Sorry for not getting back to this thread for a while.

It turned out, the Aurender's auto DSF extractor did a decent job completing artists/ albums/ songs information. However, most albums still needed further work (cover/full detailed metadata). I found that MusicBrainz did a great job completing missing album information. I just opened the program, adding the folder containing any given album (stored on my Aurender), and then just clicked "scan" and the program would fetch necessary album info for me. Once satisfied, I can just click "saved" and the information would be updated. Took less than 30 sec per album.

Thanks for all your inputs, this will be useful if I have any SACD ISO to extract in the future.