IGNORED

Balancing IT interests and music interests in managed switches

Without seeing configurations they have implemented they most likely went in and de-rated traffic that doesn't have the DSCP tags they want to see. That means all traffic.

If they are paying for a business circuit then I would have a second consumer circuit installed for your use. It effectively means you are running double the equipment unfortunately.

16 minutes ago, sdolezalek said:

@plissken Thanks for jumping in.  My guess is that you are correct re settings treating all traffic equally.  But the focus has been on security, not throughput, so I have flexibility in resetting DSCP tags to prioritize my PC-to-UltraRendu pathway when I'm playing music.  Installing a second consumer circuit and attaching it to my PC just reintroduces the security risk, so would not be a preferred solution.  But perhaps there is a way to implement a VLAN solution on the existing PC/circuit that creates a priority pathway for music when Roon/HQPlayer/Tidal/Quboz is in use.  Of course teaching me how to set up a VLAN with appropriate DSCP tags may well be above my rudimentary managed switch skill set. :-) 

If this is for security then they shouldn't allow non-company assets on their network.  If you install another circuit then you would have an air gapped network that wouldn't share any connections.

You could create a VLAN but the issue is that DSCP is a layer 3 protocol and soon as your inter-vlan traffic hits it will be re-rated accordingly. This is how hair pin traffic works. Are they not doing split tunnel? That would be the solution.

Devil is in the details and there could be a good amount of Q/A about how they have you configured and what the goals are to unpack.