IGNORED

New Innuos network switch?

This was hinted at a while back.  Nuno had said something about making both the USB and Ethernet technologies from the Statement available to owners of the Zenith SE (and of course other servers).  The first shoe dropped with the Phoenix so I wouldn’t be surprised if another shoe would be dropping at some point.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I demoed an Innuos Statement in my system to use with a Linn Klimax DSM streamer and the Melco S100 w/ Farad Super3 power supply that I already owned outperformed the direct ethernet connection from the Statement. I suggest that you give the Melco a trial if you have a chance. 

ChrisG

Bend, OR

• 1 month later...
On 1/9/2021 at 1:47 AM, ChrisG said:

I demoed an Innuos Statement in my system to use with a Linn Klimax DSM streamer and the Melco S100 w/ Farad Super3 power supply that I already owned outperformed the direct ethernet connection from the Statement. I suggest that you give the Melco a trial if you have a chance. 

Hey Chris 😀

How was the Melco connected to the Statement? Are you saying that the music sounded better when the Statement was fed a stream from the Melco vs streaming directly into the Statement? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I do not have the new Innuos switch, but I have a modded Pink Faun Buffalo switch. From what I can tell from the specs online, these devices look very similar, and certainly the intent is similar: added precision, if I can say it that way. 

I do have the Innuos Phoenix USB re-clocker. I think it works very well and provided an improvement in my system (into Aurender ACS10). 

Full Disclosure: I actually recently removed the Phoenix but only because I bought an Extreme, and will be adding their USB card soon, so the Phoenix is redundant. I plan to post the Phoenix for sale this week, if I can figure out PayPal.

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes, I would be interested in your impressions.  I have the Phoenix and would like to know what the NET would do for me.

Thanks!

2 channel : full Innuos suite / Black Cat USB cables / Kii Three BXT

Desktop : Innuos PulseMINI / Roon ROCK / SaBaj A20d amp-DAC / DCA E3 headphones

Thank you, @Varadero xl 1000v for your photos and initial impressions.  Please keep us posted on the aural developments as the PhoenixNET settles in with additional hours.  I believe all Innuos devices (with the Mundorf caps and large toroidals) will take about 400-hours to fully break in.  It should open up a bit more as it reaches the 400-500 hour mark.  

I am very intrigued with this new PhoenixNET device, as my digital front-end is currently:  Innuos Zenith 3 + PhoenixUSB. I also have an UpTone eRegen w/ JS-2 dual-rail LPS (powering the eR & my modem) ahead of the Innuos kit, and the possibility of inserting a PhoenixNET into the mix has piqued my interest. In my case, I would initially cascade: ISP Modem > eRegen > PhoenixNET > Zenith 3 > PhoenixUSB > DAC. Albeit expensive, I believe this addition could put me in the 'Statement' territory, but before I go down that path, I was hoping to learn more feedback on this device from you and other contributors in the AS & WBF communities. 

** If interested, here is the link to the PhoenixNET thread on WBF:  https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/to-switch-or-not-to-switch-melco-s-100-or-innuos-phoenix-net-switch.32550/

I suspect I will soon make the necessary initial steps on price/delivery inquiries for a PhoenixNET with my Innuos dealer. Based on what I am hearing in my system now (w/o the PhoenixNET) and what I anticipate the PhoenixNET would/could do, it could be a homerun for my set-up. Fingers crossed. Until then, I hope to continue to learn additional feedback about the PhoenixNET from you and others on the community board(s).

I have attached my system FLOW diagram for an easy visual.  Diagram Note: the items depicted in 'Black' are current state; and the items in 'Red' are proposed future state (i.e., the PhoenixNET.)

Thanks, again!

Re-tread

FLOW - 2021-04-13.png

• 9 months later...

Hi, I also recently purchased an Innuos switch, which I'm running in front of a Taiko Extreme. I'm wondering, have you experimented with placing an FMC between your switch and the server/streamer? Theoretically, it would remove any last mile noise. I tried to do it going to the Extreme (which has an optical card) and it doesn't seem as if the Innuos supports FMCs. Neither a StarTech nor a Sonore OpticleModule Deluxe were stable/discoverable. Both FMCs work fine without the Taiko and when coupled with other switches. I don't know if it would sound better, but it's certainly worth the experiment and you'd expect the Innuos to support it. I reached out to Innuos and they have been non-responsive. 

Any help would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I have FMCs for isolation using to EtherRegens. The first ER is outside the audio system, connected to the house network and an Antipodes CX. FMC > optical connect to the second EtherRegen, with LPS 1.5, connected to a PS Audio Regenerator, and ethernet from the 'clean' side of the second ER connects to Antipodes EX. 

This partially replaces the need for the PhoenixNET of course, but in my experience these improvements are additive. 

Hi, thank you for the insight.

Yes, that’s the great experiment/debate, if in fact the additive value of multiple switches (that you and many other companies/people report), and/or the RFI noise reduction from the FMC compensates for any noise introduced by the FMC itself.  Hence the need for the experiment. 

So Innuos has finally gotten in contact with me about the issue and pointed out there’s a known compatibility issue with the StarTech and slower switches like the Innuos. This doesn’t address the issue with the OpticalRendue Deluxe, but one issue at a time, I guess. I will say the Innuos sounds very, very good stand-alone. It remains to be seen how it will sound chained.

Before i bought the Innuos switch I was running dual SOtMs and experimented with both copper and optical between the router, switches, and server.  I found the transceivers to be extremely important, but the cables not so much (as long as they were properly matched to the transceiver type.). Ultimately, I settled on copper going from the router to the first SOtM, optical using discontinued Finisar Transceivers between the switches, and StarTech transceivers (in part because the Extreme uses a StarTech card) between the Extreme and the SOtM. Ultimately, there was no need for FMCs because the SOtMs have cages. 

I’ve sent the SOtM switches back to be refitted to 50Ohm connectors to be compatible with a Merging+ NADAC clock. When they return I’ll experiment with putting the SOtMs and Innuos in series and can report back.