IGNORED

Low cost high quality excellent performing LPSU for audio.

On 1/10/2021 at 12:59 AM, Miska said:

Medical grade PSUs, like the one I referred to, have been specifically designed to have very low leakage currents, in µA range.

The off-the-shelf medical grade PSUs  whilst have low leakage current, still can't compete subjectively with an OK grade linear PSU in practice.  

On 1/10/2021 at 12:59 AM, Miska said:

Even with standard SMPS wall-warts, it is entirely possible to design very low noise analog devices. I have measured enough many DACs running from SMPS that I know it is more about the design than the type of PSU. Overall, 60/200 kHz is much easier to filter out than 50/60/100/120 Hz. Especially since the fundamental and it's harmonics are outside of audio band.

Hopefully Taiko Audio's switching DC-DC converter will start to put an end to the snobbery that prevents HQ SMPS (of low leakage) being developed for this application.  They too have designed their DC-DC switching frequency well out of the way of typical audio bands.

1 hour ago, One and a half said:

The specified use is a router, yes, good choice, but not for audio like a DAC or anything in the signal path, like USB fixer.

I take it you've not heard one in practice..... 

I had the revision before of the LEO in 19v format.  It was in a similar ballpark to the Farad Super3 of 19v (which everyone seems to adore on here) powering an Intel NUC, for approx half the cost.  

12 minutes ago, jabbr said:

This is an excellent point. The simple fact is that well designed digital devices have extensive on board regulation as well as power distribution. 

They do, but they still prefer a cleaned voltage input to work from.

13 hours ago, One and a half said:

No I haven't listened, how to when there's no certificate of compliance? Hmm, that goes for Farad as well.

Anybody can build what they like, it will sound great and work for years, when it comes to conformity and build to rules, and then having it tested, well that's a different story and $$$.

Sure, which then renders most products out of scope if you play entirely by those rules. 

So what does an audiophile do your case, stick to SMPS only?  

5 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Do they? Actually the devices need to operate with noise levels lower than you or I can measure ... they have this figured out!

They can "function" with SMPS noise levels no problem, but you can hear it for sure, audibly, when fed with cleaner independent voltages.  Even lt3045's cant work miracles with noisy SMPS voltages being fed to it.

7 minutes ago, jabbr said:

My servers, I don't worry about and use standard ATX. The output of these servers is fiberoptic. The fiberoptic NIC cleans the signal quite well. I have used many types of NICs in the past although currently using Mellanox/NVIDIA for most, minimum of 10Gbe because all these are low noise. My NAS has a ConnectX-3, one server a ConnectX-4 and the HQPlayer server a ConnectX-5 NIC. 

ConnectX-3 NICs are really really cheap. So are Solarflare and Intel for that matter.

I use Solarflare too; great cards and v.high value no doubt.  But I can also confirm that servers benefit from good linear power too.  The noise makes its way over the fibreoptic NIC no problem it seems. 

Especially with HQPlayer I found this was true due to the sheer amount of data one ends up sending via NAA over the network - the effects of the network play a considerable part of the sound signature.  

1 minute ago, jabbr said:

You can't hear the effects of SMPS on a server following a well designed fiberoptic network. By well designed I am using Mellanox NICs and Mellanox SN2700 switch to be exact. YMMV but if you can hear the effects of the server you are doing something wrong.

Well designed fibre equipment can transport noise from the server that's powered from the SMPS.  A typical ATX PSU is operating with tolerances of 1% on their output rails.  A good linear rail even through a DC DC would be closer to 0.1% and more likely 0.01%.  

2 minutes ago, jabbr said:

You have a problem with your hardware. 

I wish it was that simple........ its not.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, plissken said:

It doesn't work that way. This is 100% wishful thinking. As long as the electrical to optical conversion has proper power nothing is going to make it to the other side of the link.

I've done muni-fiber with EX optics and we are talking 40km. This is all validated on $16K worth of Fluke.

Many on this forum can tell you otherwise.  Guess we all have "faulty equipment".  I can live with that :-) 

16 minutes ago, plissken said:

LOL. It's so easy to cleave zealots from their unsubstantiated claims. 

Remember claims made without evidence are just as easily dismissed without evidence. There's your door sir.

There's plenty of observations that those who used an Sonore OpticalModule can hear the difference between simply changing its power input between an SMPS and a decent linear PSU.  That converts copper ethernet directly to fibre.  Guess we're all hearing things........

So yes, there's my door indeed - what else is there to say?