IGNORED

Cat8 compatibility Equipment problem

Hello, I’ve ordered 2 Croma Cat8 cables from Wireworld 

to go from my Nuc6i5 SHY to a TP-Link 105 switch and from the switch to my Cambridge CNX v2.

When I plug the Cat8 to the CNX the switch shut down. I try both the cables, even tried one from another company.

only the Cat5 and Cat5e works.

funny thing is that I could plug a 10 year old laptop and it work like a charm. Cat8 is retro compatible and is supposed to work, well that’s what I’ve tough until now. So, I’m wondering why, is it because it’s shielded? I’ve ask the question to Wireworld and Cambridge, but because of the vacation and the special situation that we are in, it’s probably going to take a wile before I get any infos. If someone has any opinion on that, it would be appreciated.

thank you  

I hope I didn’t buy the Chromas for nothing...Audiophile 101 crash course.

1 minute ago, Jpdspin said:

Hello, I’ve ordered 2 Croma Cat8 cables from Wireworld 

to go from my Nuc6i5 SHY to a TP-Link 105 switch and from the switch to my Cambridge CNX v2.

When I plug the Cat8 to the CNX the switch shut down. I try both the cables, even tried one from another company.

only the Cat5 and Cat5e works.

funny thing is that I could plug a 10 year old laptop and it work like a charm. Cat8 is retro compatible and is supposed to work, well that’s what I’ve tough until now. So, I’m wondering why, is it because it’s shielded? I’ve ask the question to Wireworld and Cambridge, but because of the vacation and the special situation that we are in, it’s probably going to take a wile before I get any infos. If someone has any opinion on that, it would be appreciated.

thank you  

I hope I didn’t buy the Chromas for nothing...Audiophile 101 crash course.

My guess is there's a shield connected at each end of the cable and it's causing the issue. 

@jabbr @JohnSwenson any ideas?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

59 minutes ago, Jpdspin said:

When I plug the Cat8 to the CNX the switch shut down.

This is odd.  Exactly what does “shut down” mean? If you’re using the TP-Link TL-SG105, it’s a simple unmanaged switch.  I’ve had a few isolated failures of one port, but none of the ones I’ve owned stopped working on all ports.  

Does all communication through it stop, or is it just that the audio connection via Cat8 cable doesn’t work?  Does the malfunction go away when you unplug the cat8 cable from the switch?  Does the cable work when used directly between NUC and CNX?

54 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

My guess is there's a shield connected at each end of the cable and it's causing the issue. 

Yes that really seems like an interaction via the shield in the cable. This sounds like a ground loop issue so we will need to get details about the mains connections for the system.

First off what country are you in? Different countries handle safety ground etc differently so it is important to know where you are.

Next for at least those devices you mention, how are they connected to the mains? Is it a three prong plug or a two prong plug? Are you using the manufacturer supplied power supply?  Physically where are the devices? Same room, different rooms, all on the same rack etc. Are you using any form of power conditioner for any or all of the devices?

So the nuc is attached to the switch and the CNX is attached to the switch, is there any thing else attached to the switch such as a connection to a router or other devices?

Try a few simple tests: first off connect to the switch only what is necessary for the audio system to work. Start with just CAT5 or CAT5e for all the connections. Make sure that works. Then put the CAT8 between the switch and the CNX. Does it work or not. If that still works, put the CAT5 back and put the CAT8 between the nuc and the switch. Does that work or not? If that works put the CAT8 back between the switch and the CNX. Does that work or not?

That will be a good start at tracking things down. After we get the results from the above we can dig deeper.

John S.

Pointing out the elephant in the room: What is the need for a shielded cable? CAT8 are deterministically DATA CENTER rated cabling.

The reason they are constructed and shielded the way they are is for 40GB applications.

This shouldn't be a troubleshooting thread, this should be a thread about the misapplication of cabling. Sorry I just got done uneffing another persons setup due to poor advice. Advice from people that can create a problem but can't fix it once they helped make it.

First time posting on Audiophilestyle, thank you for yours responds, I have to say that English is not my mother language, still I will try to answer all the questions in the right way and give some explanations., 

( found the solution, skip at the end )

So why I’m trying some cat8 in my installation:

first, Well had a good opportunity to try the Chroma cat8 cables.

Second, I use to be a audio tech, when we were installing tv’s and we had to do runs of cables higher than 50’ we had to use Cat6 cables and balun to switch back to HDMI and over 100’ we were using cat6 shielded to make sur that we were not going to have trouble with the video. With the regular cat6 on long distance a lot of the time we had video issues, so in my head 1 plus 1.

Third, I read a bit in the audiophile world, I like to tried things and make my own opinions with the help of passionate audiophiles, good articles and experiences.

Fourth, having a good balance system. I have a low middle HiFi system, that I’m trying, not having a weak link.

My setup: modem from my IAS - Cat6 run 50’ ( not shielded for now ) - TP-Link TL-SG105 - Chroma Cat8 to NUC 6i5SHY - Cat5 to my Cambridge CNX v2 ( for now, only one working ) - output 1 Audio rca to Naïm Naît 5si - output 2 audio xlr to Sansui 9090 restored - Canare 1411 diy speaker cables - Kef 107 ref restored for the Naim - Yamaha NS690 restored for the Sansui.

I’ve got a 20 amp single run for all the Analogue alimentation.

All the numerique on another 15 amp alimentation 

Really good IEC alimentation cable custom.

Naim direct in the plug

Sansui, Cambridge on a Furman power bar

This Morning I’ve found the problem because of all the different strategies shared on this post.

I do have to say that I feel a little stupid. When I read all the post and things about ground loop and shield, I remember putting a ground on my negative side on the switch alimentation. So I just unplug the ground and voilà.

Sorry for all the troubles, that’s a peewee audio error. 

funny one... well you’ll remember my name on the positive side.

again thank you for your help.

Jp

Welcome,

I am no help on grounding and ethernet cables but it seems you solved your issues.

I jumped in to complement your systems.

Last spring I sold off my Dad's Sansui system: QR-6500 Receiver and SR3500 & SR2500 speakers...loved the equipment but I was not working and they all needed repair.  My wife insisted on reclaiming the space.  My system is Linn but I love the Naim equipment and was between Linn & Naim when I purchased so many years ago.  Nice collection.

Happy listening.

chris  

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

1 hour ago, Jpdspin said:

Second, I use to be a audio tech, when we were installing tv’s and we had to do runs of cables higher than 50’ we had to use Cat6 cables and balun to switch back to HDMI and over 100’ we were using cat6 shielded to make sur that we were not going to have trouble with the video. With the regular cat6 on long distance a lot of the time we had video issues, so in my head 1 plus 1.

But that's using S/TP cabling for extending HDMI runs. I have an HDMI balun for a 30 meter run and I have to use S/TP CAT6A also. But this isn't the same thing as using it for data.

Yes I love my Naim and it’s driving my Kef 107 pretty good.

for the Cat cables shielded or not, I’m not a expert in this domain, I just tough the problem we had, when using long run was due to interference and that’s why we were using shield cables. I know to, some of the balun used, needed shield because of protocols and ways they were build. Some were juste standard and when using shielded it work better transporting the information for the video. Over that, well like I said, not a expert. I’ll use my ears to find out if it’s a good thing for me or not in the audiophile twilight zone.

On 1/6/2021 at 1:37 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

yes, it must be the shield. It’s a test amount to technology that Cat8 exists and is able to carry 40Gbe over copper. That said the necessary shield is just begging for ground loop problems. I use Blue Jeans unshielded cables for copper Ethernet, and single mode fiber otherwise. The fiber works so well for me that I haven’t bothered with listening to the SQ of Ethernet cables in several years. 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.