Jump to content
IGNORED

Article: At Long Last! Listen To Your (Physical) SACDs Through an Outboard DAC


Recommended Posts

@gmgraves I also like Sinatra and big bands etc am just now listening to DVD-A I have of Sinatra (at the Sands)- got a kick out of your reply.

@fas42 thanks- your term 'sludgy' better describes Stone's mixes going all the way back to my vinyl but these recordings don't check my replay status as my system which I think is pretty pristine but I always felt it was how their recordings were made/mixed some of their albums are 'edgy' but that may be the way they intended them to sound because the 3 times I heard them in person Syracuse fall of 1965 Carrier Dome 1989 and then again at Carrier Dome early/mid 2000s they sounded sludgy edgy(and at the last one very old like I have become!) Thanks again

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very interesting article!

I am testing the association OPPO 205 (as SACD player) - BRYSTON BDA3 (DAC) via HDMI; it is fully functional and the sound is excellent (pre Audioreaserch REF5- 2 amp. REF210).

However I am the lucky owner of two EMMLABS CDSA e one SONY SCD777ES, having a huge collection go SACD; so my opinion is that the EMMLABS CDSA is still the best player for SACD.

Thanks!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stradivarius3 said:

Very interesting article!

I am testing the association OPPO 205 (as SACD player) - BRYSTON BDA3 (DAC) via HDMI; it is fully functional and the sound is excellent (pre Audioreaserch REF5- 2 amp. REF210).

However I am the lucky owner of two EMMLABS CDSA e one SONY SCD777ES, having a huge collection go SACD; so my opinion is that the EMMLABS CDSA is still the best player for SACD.

Thanks!

 

The Oppo UDP-205 as a stand-alone SACD player is mediocre at best, but it does seem to be an exemplary transport for streaming DSD data to an outboard DAC. I’ve tried several Sony Blu-Ray players and an Oppo 105, and the UDP-205 sounds superior playing SACDs through the I2S converter to the Denafrips Pontus via HDMI with the Oppo 105 as a close second.

George

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gmgraves said:

The Oppo UDP-205 as a stand-alone SACD player is mediocre at best, but it does seem to be an exemplary transport for streaming DSD data to an outboard DAC. I’ve tried several Sony Blu-Ray players and an Oppo 105, and the UDP-205 sounds superior playing SACDs through the I2S converter to the Denafrips Pontus via HDMI with the Oppo 105 as a close second.

I'm wondering if transport has the same effect on the bass with DSD as it does with PCM? The bass from my Linn Genki feed via coax to DAC far surpasses

the bass  octave reach from an Oppo 103 feed coax to same DAC for CD/HDCD material. Can't do an SACD comparison.

Regards,

Dave

 

Audio system

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, davide256 said:

I'm wondering if transport has the same effect on the bass with DSD as it does with PCM? The bass from my Linn Genki feed via coax to DAC far surpasses

the bass  octave reach from an Oppo 103 feed coax to same DAC for CD/HDCD material. Can't do an SACD comparison.

Can’t say for certain. The differences in presentation between the transports I’ve tried seem to be pretty much across the board; bass, mids, treble, image specificity, overall sound-stage etc.

George

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you compared Oppo thru Pontus to ripped SACD streamed to Pontus, I have ripped most of my SACDs using the method described on HiFiHaven (only requires Blu Ray player and memory stick with software) and was wondering if transport would be superior

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

I thought i have heard for many years that hdmi was an inferior interface because of jitter and why no one uses hdmi in the "audiophile" world?

 

I don’t see how a “wire” can introduce jitter, anyway, I’m not sure that would matter in this case. Anybody know for sure?

George

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

I thought i have heard for many years that hdmi was an inferior interface because of jitter and why no one uses hdmi in the "audiophile" world?

 

I don’t see how a “wire” can introduce jitter, anyway, I’m not sure that would matter in this case. Anybody know for sure?

George

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

If it's the termination that causes jitter than sure it could be an issue, but if it's the protocol, then that's irrelevant because you aren't using HDMI protocol.

but isnt the hdmi protocol used in the conversion?  How else would the audio signal be translated?

To be honest, to my ears, I have many times thought that hdmi sounded pretty damn good (at least compared to typical bluray internal dacs).

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, beerandmusic said:

but isnt the hdmi protocol used in the conversion?  How else would the audio signal be translated?  Not doubting what you are saying, just trying to figure it out?  How does hdmi signal get to analog in an avr vs how it is converted from hdmi to i2s?

To be honest, to my ears, I have many times thought that hdmi sounded pretty damn good (at least compared to typical bluray internal dacs).

I could be mistaken with respect to this specific case. Many I2S implementations use HDMI ports and cables, but not the HDMI protocol. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I could be mistaken with respect to this specific case. Many I2S implementations use HDMI ports and cables, but not the HDMI protocol. 

i am referrring to the "box" that gmgraves purchased that converts the hdmi signal to i2s for the dac.  I would think that some hdmi protocol would be needed to convert it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Ah yes. 

But who knows what "jitter" is audible anyway (grin).  I still say for my ears, many times hdmi sounds much better than analog out of many/most universal disc players that i have heard.  They usually sound more dynamic and better bass, but i guess that just means that the dac in the avr (in my case, i use a marantz sr6013 as a preamp) is better than the dac in the universal disc player regardless of hdmi jitter.  I don't argue on these sites much anymore as my hearing has continued to get worse  (smile)....seems like not much i throw at my system makes it sound "next level" in my budget anymore.  I will always try new amps and speakers though (grin)....i just found out nelson reed made a vintage low end speaker with an ATC midrange...that might be interesting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beerandmusic said:

But who knows what "jitter" is audible anyway (grin).  I still say for my ears, many times hdmi sounds much better than analog out of many/most universal disc players that i have heard.  They usually sound more dynamic and better bass, but i guess that just means that the dac in the avr (in my case, i use a marantz sr6013 as a preamp) is better than the dac in the universal disc player regardless of hdmi jitter.  I don't argue on these sites much anymore as my hearing has continued to get worse  (smile)....seems like not much i throw at my system makes it sound "next level" in my budget anymore.  I will always try new amps and speakers though (grin)....i just found out nelson reed made a vintage low end speaker with an ATC midrange...that might be interesting.

 

You should check out some of the newest digital speakers out there - remarkably good value for value. Currently, I'm using ridiculously cheap Edifier speakers, driven through the digital optical input from an equally cheap DVD player - and at the current state of tune, ticks most boxes. Biggest problems for this level of gear is that they are very sensitive to noise on the mains - if you go this route, all efforts to isolate the setup from crap coming over the power feed will be rewarded 🙂.

Frank

 

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

 

 

Over and out.

.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, fas42 said:

 

You should check out some of the newest digital speakers out there - remarkably good value for value. Currently, I'm using ridiculously cheap Edifier speakers, driven through the digital optical input from an equally cheap DVD player - and at the current state of tune, ticks most boxes. Biggest problems for this level of gear is that they are very sensitive to noise on the mains - if you go this route, all efforts to isolate the setup from crap coming over the power feed will be rewarded 🙂.

Irrelevant (as is usual for Frank)!

George

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, LarryMagoo said:

Maybe we could start a club....I also have a Sony SCD-777ES that is faulty....Wish it could be repaired!   I do have a Oppo 105....and I've quit listening to Multichannel since I joined Roon...and miss the audio that is provides....since it sounds so good!  

I hear you. The SCD-777ES is so well built, sounds so good, and is so elegant, that it’s a crying shame to have to have to relegate it to a closet, throw it away, or sell it on EBay for parts.

George

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...