IGNORED

Article: At Long Last! Listen To Your (Physical) SACDs Through an Outboard DAC

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jxo said:

I have a couple of flimsy Sony BX510s for ripping and I can see why these may not be the most well made transport devices.   I assume bits are bits but I was asking whether using a bluray player for digital transport to a DAC would be different for any reason (as distinguished from a Sony player for ripping purposes).  I assume a solid blu ray player with a dedicated audio hdmi output would be unable to read an SACD (unless its a Sony).   Just checking.    Btw, those cheap Sonys regularly used for ripping are not feature designated as SACD players.

I do not know what it means to be " not feature designated" nor does it matter.  If the device will not play SACDs, it cannot rip SACDs.  If it can play SACDs, it may be able to rip SACDs.   Does your question go beyond that?

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jxo said:

In case anyone is interested for comparison sake.   Design detail of the D.BOB:

"The D.BOB design is centered around two chips made by Lattice Semiconductor. The Sil9533 Port Processor is the main HDMI decoder chip, which extracts PCM audio data from the HDMI datastream and sends it out via S/PDIF [not HDMI or USB]. The HDMI pass-through functions are also supported by this chip. But, the Sil9533 does not support DSD.  [Instead,] the DSD datastream is extracted from HDMI, and encoded as DoP, by a Lattice LCMX02-1200HC Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA)."

I am not sure that I would word this the way it is.  The Sil9533 does support DSD but not via I2S.  Its DSD output mode is an alternative to the I2S output mode.

Audio Output Block The Audio Output block supports audio extraction from the received HDMI/MHL streams. The extracted audio is 8-channel I2 S, 6-channel DSD, or S/PDIF audio. The audio port extraction includes:

- I2S, eight channels: PCM, up to eight channels, HBR, such as Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio 

- DSD, six channels 

- S/PDIF, IEC 60958: PCM, two channels

- Compressed bitstream: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Digital Surround EX DTS, DTS ES......

Kal Rubinson

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2021 at 1:05 PM, Douglasmaurer said:

Wow! What a Great article! As an Oppo 205 owner and someone with many many hundreds of SACDs, I found this very interesting! May have to investigate the denafrips dacs (always have salivated at the reviews of them) to try this out!

Any similar solutions to extract the multichannel layer off of the SACDs to a higher quality multichannel DAC (without some semi-elaborate process of ripping them/iso files)? I enjoy both 2 channel and the multichannel sacds (esp for classical music). 
thanks!

Doug

I am told that one can do this with a Meridian HD621 or a UHD722.  

Kal Rubinson