IGNORED

AES and Its Papers

8 hours ago, NOMBEDES said:

Yes.  I understand.  

But with all our engineering and science can we overcome poor recording practices or the quirks of our home environment?

Yes, one can. Turns out that the human hearing system is remarkably capable of compensating for deficiencies in what it listens to - completely unconsciously. However, it still has limitations - when two conflicting sources of degrading distortion are overlaid onto the original captured event, then it's too much - result is fatiguing listening, or it being just plain too unpleasant or annoying to suffer for any length of time.

So, the options are: brilliantly recorded music played on mediocre and above systems - this works; and the other being recordings at all ranges of quality replayed on a setup which adds zero subjectively audible artifacts - this also works. The latter is somewhat hard to achieve, but worth it - because it opens one up to being able to enjoy the vast legacy of a century plus of recording ...

Great information on how these things work. 

I still don't like it. Putting one's name on something is the ultimate in transparency and honesty. In fact, I see some people advocating for use of real names on the internet because anonymous people behind keyboards can be a bad thing. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

24 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Great information on how these things work. 

I still don't like it. Putting one's name on something is the ultimate in transparency and honesty. In fact, I see some people advocating for use of real names on the internet because anonymous people behind keyboards can be a bad thing. 

Then one of the authors of a cold fusion paper comes and shoots you for calling out their shoddy work.  No thanks!  (although those reviewers really missed that one!)

On 1/5/2021 at 2:27 AM, botrytis said:

I was also told, that my reviews were too harsh because they were friends of my mentor and he just wanted them passed through. I would not do that and was put in the dog house due to that ( very apropos for UGA - 'Mericans will get the pun there).

Sorry to say that any publication with peer review process requires reviewers to declare "conflict of interests". Your mentor had definitely broken this rule..

I had rejected peer review invitations simply because I know the authors or they are my friends/mentor's friends.

Some time this can be hard to avoid as certain field has very limited researchers and most of them do know each other.

I don't think audio has gone that yet. Certain niche topic in audio may though.

Back to AES,

I have reviewed many research papers including those from AES publications.

I have to correct the OP, many recent AES convention papers had gone through peer review process. However the process for convention paper are more relaxed compared to journal. 

You can question whether AES publications represent the state of art of audio in every aspects. But calling AES publications not scientific is probably a bit too much.

Btw, i'm not a current AES member or holding any position in AES organization.

9 hours ago, yakman said:

However the process for convention paper are more relaxed compared to journal.

If that's now the case, it's changed since I was a member.  The peer review document used throughout my years as a member (linked in my post above and again HERE) clearly says that the review process for full papers submitted for pre-publication presentation at a conference is "...as a rule, the same as for a direct submission to JAES".  Exceptions are only made for a few unusual meetings, e.g. "new and emerging topics", for which peer review is left to the organizing committee for the conference.

Abstracts and precis that are submitted for presentation and subsequently written up as formal papers are also given full peer review before publication.  I don't recall that JAES had any obligatory publications when I was a member.

Of course, this could have changed - but I can't find any documentation of change if it did occur, and the standards for scientific journal publication have not been relaxed anywhere else.  They've been tightened.

5 hours ago, bluesman said:

If that's now the case, it's changed since I was a member.  The peer review document used throughout my years as a member (linked in my post above and again HERE) clearly says that the review process for full papers submitted for pre-publication presentation at a conference is "...as a rule, the same as for a direct submission to JAES".  Exceptions are only made for a few unusual meetings, e.g. "new and emerging topics", for which peer review is left to the organizing committee for the conference.

The guideline has not changed. But think of it, for convention papers, reviewers are typically assigned multiple papers and expected to feedback in a week or two. For Journal papers,  only one paper and reviewer has a few weeks to spend. All the reviewers are doing this as a volunteering service, many outside their daily job. How is it possible not to relax the rule when you're reviewing the convention paper?

This doesn't mean AES convention papers represent poor quality though.

For those outside the academic/scientific field, one paper typically get more than three reviewers.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Reviewers give their stamp of approval, which equates to a very powerful message for those who aren’t learned in a subje

In a scientific journal, the role of the reviewer is to insure that the work was done properly but there is no stamp of approval on the results or the conclusions.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Because peer reviewed papers are often used as badges of honor toward consumers, we should know who stamped it.

The audience for peer-reviewed papers is not the consumer.  It is the relevant scientific community.

2 hours ago, andrewinukm said:

For the layman, any form of information within the paper is prone to be misinterpreted anyway.

Very likely.  

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

5 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

In a scientific journal, the role of the reviewer is to insure that the work was done properly but there is no stamp of approval on the results or the conclusions.

The audience for peer-reviewed papers is not the consumer.  It is the relevant scientific community.

Very likely.  

I certainly hear you Kal, but I can’t count how many times I’ve received a marketing pitch that included an AES paper mention to bolster credibility. 

If all of this stayed in the domain of the scientific community, it would be fine. It’s the crossover for marketing that causes issues. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

28 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I certainly hear you Kal, but I can’t count how many times I’ve received a marketing pitch that included an AES paper mention to bolster credibility. 

If all of this stayed in the domain of the scientific community, it would be fine. It’s the crossover for marketing that causes issues. 

Right.  The onus is on the marketing abuse on not on the source.  Hardy uncommon in many fields.

Kal Rubinson

Kal and bluesman are speaking very, very wisely on this topic.....

In medical research and publication there are certainly controversies (especially re. the publication rate of negative studies as bluesman described above), but the identities of the reviewers isn't one of them.

Bill

Labels assigned by CA members: "Cogley's ML sock-puppet," "weaponizer of psychology," "ethically-challenged," "professionally dubious," "machismo," "lover of old westerns," "shill," "expert on ducks and imposters," "Janitor in Chief," "expert in Karate," "ML fanboi or employee," "Alabama Trump supporter with an NRA decal on the windshield of his car," sycophant

4 hours ago, botrytis said:

The problem is the source is allowing the marketing abuse. AN example is the paper that was published about vaccines and Autism, that vaccines cause it. The paper was finally pulled and disavowed after a through and lengthy research into the author and his methodologies. The author was also convicted and jailed for his malicious lies and mistruths.

Clearly, their review process failed.

4 hours ago, botrytis said:

The problem is, once the genie is out of the bottle, it is hard to get back in. Anti-vaxxers still quote this paper as truth, even though it has been proven as a sham and a lie. Once something is said, on the internet, it is there forever.

That is unfortunate.  Would public revelation (and/or shaming) of the reviewers have made any difference?

Kal Rubinson

12 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Would public revelation (and/or shaming) of the reviewers have made any difference?

Arguably, the reviewers might have been more careful, or less blasé you might say, if they had known from the outset that their names would be published with the paper.  

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.