I'm currently using 2 Apple Airport Extremes.  The last generation Apple made.  I have one in my bedroom next to my iMac.  The second one is in my living room next to my stereo.  I have my Bluesound Node 2i connected to the Airport Extreme in my living room with an ethernet cable.  I'm considering upgrading my routers and would like to have a similar set-up of what I have now.  I have a Motorola SURFboard eXtreme Cable Modem SB6141 (DOCSIS 3.0) which I see no need to upgrade.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  I've looked at Apple.com and seen what they have to offer.  However, I the only one I was interested in was the Linksys Velop Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System (2-pack).  So, I checked it out on Amazon and read about some of the problems people have been experiencing with them and am not too sure about Linksys now.  That leaves the NETGEAR Orbi Whole Home Tri-Band Mesh Wi-Fi System or the eero Pro Mesh WiFi Router + one of the eero Mesh WiFi Routers.  I don't know what other options there are at this point.  What do you guys think?  All feedback / advice greatly appreciated!  

TIDAL desktop app > iMac (21.5", Late 2013) 3.1 GHz Intel Quad Core i7 - 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3 > macOS Catalina 10.15.7 > 250 Apple Flash Storage / SSD > AQ Dragon Tail 2.0 > AQ Jitterbug > Dragonfly Black 1.07 > Klipsch 2.1 Pro Media

Why are you looking to upgrade/change?

I am using an Apple Extreme, probably close 10 years old, as an access point and it still works.  I have a Netgear R7800 running Voxel firmware.  I have found that Netgear new are great but as updates accumulate, FOR ME, they have become unstable (multiple routers...I still have R7000 in the closet..  Without the voxel I would have changed...probably to Ubiquiti.  I do not know if the firmware instability applies to their mesh system.  My neighbor recently installed a lower end Netgear mesh and is quite happy with it.  The Ax6000 series does look interesting.

Also, I think euro is now owned by Amazon.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear R7800 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBT->iFi xDSD->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: Squeeze Commander (DroidX) & iPeng (iPad Air); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: Sony NWZ_ZX1 & ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  Wish List: New DAC,  SBT replacement; Dream system: Linn EXACT or ATC Active or Big Tubes (KR or Nagra or Shindo or ...)

My goal is to use appliances and take home PC out of the chain...

I do not think there is a "BEST".  I have major concerns with two things.  

1. Hardware that is no longer supported with updates

2.Hardware such as EERO and Google WiFi that REQUIRES cloud support from vendors like Amazon or Google.

I have personally and professional chosen to use Ubiquity Unifi gear for my home and my customers.   Their software and hardware are constantly improving.  There is a bit more complexity in setup!   

I am not a fan, and I have tested many of them, of the mesh systems.  I normally do not like any of the network extender systems. I am researching one that might be interesting.  

I am looking at the TP-Link Omada system components.  The pricing is very attractive.  You can host your own controller like Ubiquity so no service fee lock-in.  If time and budget allow I will build a test system in my home with this one.

NOTE that I run cat5 or cat6 cables all over the place to keep wired networking as primary.  It is not that expensive to have an electrician run wiring for you if that is something you cannot do yourself.

You do not say how large of a space your home is for us to really help with system sizing or if you really need two access points.  

Oh I should have said this first.  I like to keep the routing hardware and the WiFi hardware separate. 

5 hours ago, bobfa said:

I do not think there is a "BEST".  I have major concerns with two things.  

1. Hardware that is no longer supported with updates

2.Hardware such as EERO and Google WiFi that REQUIRES cloud support from vendors like Amazon or Google.

I have personally and professional chosen to use Ubiquity Unifi gear for my home and my customers.   Their software and hardware are constantly improving.  There is a bit more complexity in setup!   

I am not a fan, and I have tested many of them, of the mesh systems.  I normally do not like any of the network extender systems. I am researching one that might be interesting.  

I am looking at the TP-Link Omada system components.  The pricing is very attractive.  You can host your own controller like Ubiquity so no service fee lock-in.  If time and budget allow I will build a test system in my home with this one.

NOTE that I run cat5 or cat6 cables all over the place to keep wired networking as primary.  It is not that expensive to have an electrician run wiring for you if that is something you cannot do yourself.

You do not say how large of a space your home is for us to really help with system sizing or if you really need two access points.  

Oh I should have said this first.  I like to keep the routing hardware and the WiFi hardware separate. 

My living space is a 1 bedroom apartment.  I'm not sure what the sq. footage is.  I think I'll look into the wired networking solution or possibly try a Ubiquiti UniFi Dream Machine.

TIDAL desktop app > iMac (21.5", Late 2013) 3.1 GHz Intel Quad Core i7 - 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3 > macOS Catalina 10.15.7 > 250 Apple Flash Storage / SSD > AQ Dragon Tail 2.0 > AQ Jitterbug > Dragonfly Black 1.07 > Klipsch 2.1 Pro Media

Thanks to all who contributed to my question.  I appreciate it!

2 hours ago, btlancaster24 said:

My living space is a 1 bedroom apartment.  I'm not sure what the sq. footage is.  I think I'll look into the wired networking solution or possibly try a Ubiquiti UniFi Dream Machine.

I live in a 2-bedroom apartment and a single router works fine for me. The key for me were:

1) I no longer have any devices on the 2.4GHz wifi band

2) so I just set the 5GHz band to be strong enough to reach everywhere. 
3) and to ensure that my neighbors are not on the same 5GHz band

4) and finally to reduce load, I run a wire from the router to a switch in my living room so the TV, nVidia Shield, Apple TV are all connected by Ethernet cables instead of running them on wifi. It’s probably overkill since the system was fine without. 

Roon (convolution filter using Acourate) > ultraRendu > Peachtree X1 (Toslink) > Chord Hugo M-Scaler > Chord DAVE > Chord Etude > Dynaudio Confidence C1 Signature + Sunfire TS-EQ10 subwoofers