IGNORED

Allo DigiOne sig loosing sync

Loosing sync to Bryston BDA-3 dac about once a day connected via BNC or Analog SPDIF. After Sync is lost must reboot for it to work again. When I use the USB input on Pi no problem for 3 days.

Using latest DietPi with i2s checked or unchecked, Roon software only is installed. Have also tried Ropieee and Allo version of Dietpi.

Tried powering with Shanti (was worse when powering good side with 5v1amp, this powers wife's Allo Katana fine), iFi iPower 5v 2.5amp good side 5.1v3amp RPI PS bad side, and my chifi power supply that supplies 5v3amp of two separate outputs.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Happy New Year.

You play only Roon? Must say haven't played my player more than 16 hours roon/tidal/raspotify.

What you use to control aple/android

Have you monitored temperature?

Im using custom build power supply but I doubt that this is a problem in your case.

Im using latest Allo Dietpi distro, max temp 56°C

20190330_014124.jpg

I use two fans made by AC Infinity that are plugged into a USB to ac power adapter. Using a standard Allo case the Pi4 is running at 32c 89f reports cool running's. So doubt the Digione is over heating either. Fans are 120cm and blow from both sides onto Pi and my Phono Preamp is also nearby. Fans are on low speed and can't be heard...while Australian company they sell on Amazon check their gear out.

Seems to happen when I send 24/96 media to device, 24/192 is fine but 24/96 causes it to be unresponsiveness until reboot. Playing the same files via usb to Pi or USB to my PC cause no problem. Smashing Pumpkins Cyr and Tool - Fear Inoculum both albums paid for online. Almost like there is a clocking issue or something.

To be clear Pi is responsive seems the Digione crashes and until reboot or power cycle does not output signal.

don't plug fans into Pi or other transports will add electrical noise, power them independently 

• 3 weeks later...

I went in Roon device setup and set the Re-sync delay to 50ms. Went back and tried two songs that had given me trouble earlier didn't work. Went to 100ms tried same two songs immediately. Still no sync red light on DAC, skipped forward to a song that worked.

Reading forum posts for a new device, keep reading no-one else has problems GRRRR.

Suddenly another song came up from same album that didn't work earlier. So quickly returned to 4 songs that didn't work earlier and they all play again. Working from home tomorrow and will listen too all day to confirm.

Moral of story if you try re-sync delay give it 5-10 minutes to take effect...if I am not back it works fine.

I don't hear a perceptible delay between songs so left at 100ms.

Using an R-Core LPS 3 output 2 x 5v3a and 15v1a. Better than PC audio with an improved power supply. Do switch back to computer for Native DSD.

Cheers

Stay safe

DigiOne Sig still great bang for the buck.

Roon gives you the tools and interface to make digital music enjoyable. Still has a record collection to compare the digital sound too.

42 minutes ago, bokko said:

I went in Roon device setup and set the Re-sync delay to 50ms. Went back and tried two songs that had given me trouble earlier didn't work. Went to 100ms tried same two songs immediately. Still no sync red light on DAC, skipped forward to a song that worked.

Reading forum posts for a new device, keep reading no-one else has problems GRRRR.

Suddenly another song came up from same album that didn't work earlier. So quickly returned to 4 songs that didn't work earlier and they all play again. Working from home tomorrow and will listen too all day to confirm.

Moral of story if you try re-sync delay give it 5-10 minutes to take effect...if I am not back it works fine.

I don't hear a perceptible delay between songs so left at 100ms.

Using an R-Core LPS 3 output 2 x 5v3a and 15v1a. Better than PC audio with an improved power supply. Do switch back to computer for Native DSD.

Cheers

Stay safe

DigiOne Sig still great bang for the buck.

Roon gives you the tools and interface to make digital music enjoyable. Still has a record collection to compare the digital sound too.

That didn't take long roon switched to 24/192 song and silence ;-( lost sync going to try a Pi 3b tomorrow after work tomorrow. Never had problems with a previous Digione Sig connected to a 3.

Sorry to hear you're having troubles too. In the PM that Allo sent they had me try various power connections to the device and switch from Ropieee to Volumio. Neither helped in resolving the problem so they are in the process of shipping a new board which will hopefully be free of issues. In the mean time though I can still use the digione as the issue only happens occasionally and more so if I'm shuffling through tracks then listening to albums. I've played with the sync delay and settled on 1000ms although I'm not sure if that makes the problem occur less frequently.

Edit: I thought this was a different thread that I started but I'll leave this here in case it helps anyone else

My problem resolved my analog gear was disconnected from house ground. Put on LP and heard buzzing reconnected ground no more buzzing on analog gear.

when I tried DigiOne sig it is no longer stopping on switch to 24/96 now to try to get ahold of them. 

Interesting. Are you saying that the linear power supply was part of the problem? I have my digione sig connected to the shanti which is plugged into a Furman PST-8, pretty much a fancy power strip. How would I go about checking if I have it connected to ground or not?

• 2 months later...

So replacement DigiOne Sig arrived.

This replacement is like first one I owned and sold. Sounds great with 15’ foot analog spdif connected to my BDA-3 seems to be no further sync problems after 12 hours of playing music.

Good mix of bitrates always sucks to not get good part but Allo held good replaced part. The hold up was missing some parts to build so what can they do. Once parts arrived it shipped quickly from India. 

thanks