IGNORED

Perfect Speaker Placement - Put next to the back wall as much as possible.

Hello,

I happen to find an good article about the ideal speaker placement. 
(Easiest version without numbers & formulas that I can’t honestly understand :D)

I’d like to share. 

Personally I find two things interesting.

1) Only use 40% of the room area (38% rule)

2) Put the speaker as close as possible to the back-wall (next to bass trap)

Of course, minor adjustment would be required depending on speakers. 
Still, I think this is helpful to figure out the very first step. 

http://arqen.com/acoustics-101/room-setup-speaker-placement/

https://realtraps.com/art_room-setup.htm

Happy listening.

p.s. what should I do with half of the room left... :?

26 minutes ago, Sangbro said:

2) Put the speaker as close as possible to the back-wall (next to bass trap)

That depends entirely on the design of the speaker, and is not normal.

e.g.  DCM QED 1A

DCM QED Speakerpositioning.jpg.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

5 minutes ago, sandyk said:

e.g.  DCM QED 1A

6 minutes ago, sandyk said:

e.g.  DCM QED 1A

According to the article, there are 3 ways. The best is putting in the wall. 

Second best is putting close. Isn’t what professional studios do?

Actually it’s kind of interesting because it seems there are two school of thoughts?

one says at least 3 ft apart and the other says from 3ft - 7ft is the distance that you should avoid. (Farer is better)

Two completely contradict ideas. 

The OP's original posted method is way off what's generally recommended or intended by most speaker designers. Here's a link to the definitive guide to speaker placement used by many of the best and recommended by companies like Vandersteen. 

http://www.cardas.com/room_setup_main.php

Cheers!

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

Notice carefully that the first article is for studio placement with extensive wall baffles... pretty much making the speakers into a headphone

type of sound solution. The second article is more of the same. Not a solution for reproducing the acoustic experience of a concert hall.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Yeah, that 2nd article is from Ethan Winer, who has been a subject of much controversy on these topics on other forums over MANY years. His corner on audioasylum provided lots of tips for those wanting to build bass traps, etc. He later got into some heated stuff debating the merits of other manufs. acoustic treatment products on S'phile forums. 

I'm not taking sides, just sorta interesting regardless of your own POV. 

The Cardas info is good IMHO because it offers thoughts on a wide variety of situations. I've attended a number of audio shows where setup in challenging hotel rooms on short notice is often a key contributor to which rooms sound best. Rooms where Cardas participated always made the most of the hand they were dealt. 

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)