IGNORED

Fiber Ethernet Converter vs. opticalModule Deluxe

Good morning and happy holidays,

Would someone be so kind as to explain the differences between the Fiber Ethernet Converter and opticalModule Deluxe? I currently have AT&T U-Verse Fiber Internet coming into my house and being routed through the AT&T Network Gateway (Motorola NVG589). I have cable ethernet connections to my two music servers, one of which is an Aurender N10 and the other is a WS2019/AO3.0/FidelizerPro/Roon Core PC. I also have a handful of Raspberry Pis acting as Roon Bridges, which are connected wirelessly to an AmpliFi Mesh Wi-Fi System, which itself is connected to the Motorola via cable ethernet. I would like to improve the sonics of the Aurender and the PC, which I assume means purchasing two modules. What other products should I consider? I already have my DACs (Chord Hugo for headphone PC and McIntosh D100 for Aurender).

I apologize for the long-windedness and appreciate any insight.

Best,

Tim

For Fiber Ethernet Converter, are you thinking about some like the TP Link MC220L? If so, then the Sonore opticalModule Deluxe does the same thing, it is just a higher-end device in terms of price and performance (better SQ can be achieved).

Another product that has been getting rave reviews is the Uptone EtherREGEN which is a high-end switch. There are several threads here on AS that discuss the EtherREGEN if you are interested.

Another Sonore product is the opticalRendu which can be used a Roon endpoint. It has a fiber port so no need to use a converter from fiber to copper Ethernet.

Another option to consider is adding a fiber optic NIC (network interface card), like an Intel X520-DA1, to your PC, assuming it can accept cards.

Lastly, it somewhat depends on how your house and equipment are laid out can dictate which way to go.

Overall, tons of options to consider. Just need to understand the costs and efforts involved. I am a huge fiber optics fan so I have gone that route but lots of other ways to do the same thing.

Eric

Ubuntu Studio Linux box (i7-9700, 8 cores, 16GB RAM, Intel X520-DA1 NIC, Roon, HQP) > fiber optic > MikroTik CRS305-1G-4S+ > fiber optic > opticalRendu (HQP NAA) > Holo Cyan (DSD version) > Nord One UP NC500MB mono blocks > Klipsch La Scala — digital volume control with HQP via Roon client, DSP with HQP convolution engine

I started with an EtherRegen downstream and a Startech FMC upstream.  Replacing the Startech FMC with an opticalModule was very worthwhile move - especially when combined with the Finisar SFPs mentioned here.

Digital:  Innuos Zenith Mk3 > Shunyata Sigma USB > Chord Hugo M-Scaler > Wireworld Gold Startlight > OPTO DX > Shunyata Alpha S/PDIF > Chord Hugo TT2 

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali power conditioner, Shunyata Alpha power cords, Shunyata Alpha interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD60 speaker cables, ASC isothermal tube traps