IGNORED

Fiber Ethernet Converter vs. opticalModule Deluxe

Good morning and happy holidays,

Would someone be so kind as to explain the differences between the Fiber Ethernet Converter and opticalModule Deluxe? I currently have AT&T U-Verse Fiber Internet coming into my house and being routed through the AT&T Network Gateway (Motorola NVG589). I have cable ethernet connections to my two music servers, one of which is an Aurender N10 and the other is a WS2019/AO3.0/FidelizerPro/Roon Core PC. I also have a handful of Raspberry Pis acting as Roon Bridges, which are connected wirelessly to an AmpliFi Mesh Wi-Fi System, which itself is connected to the Motorola via cable ethernet. I would like to improve the sonics of the Aurender and the PC, which I assume means purchasing two modules. What other products should I consider? I already have my DACs (Chord Hugo for headphone PC and McIntosh D100 for Aurender).

I apologize for the long-windedness and appreciate any insight.

Best,

Tim

I started with an EtherRegen downstream and a Startech FMC upstream.  Replacing the Startech FMC with an opticalModule was very worthwhile move - especially when combined with the Finisar SFPs mentioned here.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

• 1 month later...

You want a cheap media converter like the TP-link or startech on the "dirty" end of the fiber and the opticalModule on the "clean" end just before the equipment you are trying to isolate.

The fiber removes all the Analog noise on the Ethernet including an noise from the media converter. You just need a VERY short Ethernet cable from the opticalModule to the device to isolate.

Here is a good picture of how it works.

systemoptique_opticalModule_Deluxe_media_converter_isolation.jpg

agillis

Small Green Computer

http://www.smallgreencomputer.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you @agillis. I recently got an OM Deluxe. For the little (I 'll explain) I have listened, it appears a worthwhile upgrade. My setup is virtually exactly the same as depicted in your picture above whereby the OM is connected to a TP-Link MC220L on the "dirty end" and to my Network player/DAC on the "clean" side.

However, I have the following puzzling issue: Following your advice as well as my previous experience with the TP-link Mc200Mc I was using, I connected the OM deluxe with a very short ethernet cable (about 2.5 inches). The result was that my network player/DAC connected with OM, would not even get an IP address...

To cut a long story short and following several experiments, I come to the conclusion that OM Deluxe is very sensitive to the LENGTH of cable. It appears in my case that the minimum length accepted, is no less than 27 inches!!!

This is very strange to me since the ethernet standard do not place a minimum length requirement. Using such a long cable next to many others somewhat negates the benefit of isolation offered by OM!!!

Have you experienced this, or my unit is faulty so I need to return it?

(PS. I leave in Greece and there is no knowledgeable distributor on technical issues, so I rely on forums....). Thank you

Analogue: Michell Orbe SE,  SME IV, Van Der Hul MC10 special, Parasound JC3 (phono stage)

Digital sources: Sony SCD 1, Ayon S-10 II (network player / DAC)

Amplification: Krell KCT (pre), FBP-350mc monoblocks (x2)

Speakers: Dynaudio Evidence Temptation

Wiring: Atlas

I am using an opticalModule not the Deluxe but I have used Cat5e cables as short as 1 foot with no problem (currently using a 2 foot cable). Do you have another short cable that you can try?

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

1 hour ago, Axiom05 said:

I am using an opticalModule not the Deluxe but I have used Cat5e cables as short as 1 foot with no problem (currently using a 2 foot cable). Do you have another short cable that you can try?

I have several in different lengths (I make them / test them myself). Unfortunately the design between the old OM and the Deluxe is different, so I can not draw any conclusion. Thank you anyway

Analogue: Michell Orbe SE,  SME IV, Van Der Hul MC10 special, Parasound JC3 (phono stage)

5 minutes ago, agillis said:

I'm not sure why that would happen. I do all testing here with a 6" cable and have not had issues. 

I wonder if it's an issue with your streamer? It may have problems with short cables.

No... It's not a problem with my streamer. As I noted in my previous setup with Mc100Mc, I use a 2.5 inch cable and no issue. In your setup do you connect it to Rendu or a Streamer/DAC. Could you do a small test and let me know the outcome?i.e. Connect it to a third party streamer with a short cable and see how it goes? Thank you! really!