IGNORED

User experiences with Volumio?

34 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

which I find not so well served by the configurations that can run on my NUC without stuttering

Are you aware that you can let HQP playback bit-perfect?

Just set:

Output mode=auto

DSD sources/Direct SDM checked

PCM settings all filters, dither set to none

with this configuration PCM will be played at native sample rate and DSD as native

Stefano

My audio system

3 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

Are you aware that you can let HQP playback bit-perfect?

Just set:

Output mode=auto

DSD sources/Direct SDM checked

PCM settings all filters, dither set to none

with this configuration PCM will be played at native sample rate and DSD as native

I am aware and I have tried these settings, but the reason I parted with $500 for two versions of HQP is that I wanted to be able to upsample to DSD256 everything I played over the network. Before doing so, I was perfectly happy with JRiver's bit perfect playback at a small fraction of the cost. 

On the NUC, I usually run ADM5EC (not v2} or ADSM7 modulators reliably as long as I avoid the sinc filters. I absolutely love what HQP does for jazz, blues, and popular music. I am less happy with what it does to small ensemble classical music, where I consistently find that, on my, system, the bass and lower midrange are way too prominent, no matter which of the modulators and filters I try. 

My initial impression of Volumio, over DLNA, is that it is a nice combination of relaxed and biting. Unfortunately, its DLNA plug-in doesn't seem to stream DSD, of which I have my fair share.  So, there always will be a place for HQP in my system, I expect. 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

7 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Unfortunately, its DLNA plug-in doesn't seem to stream DSD

Didn’t you tried Minimserver?

From your signature it seems you already have everything needed to run Minimserver on your NAS using UltraRendu as MPD renderer.

Minimserver is available as Starter Edition that is free and Full License that offer more possibilities to manage your metadata.

Several control points are available like:

• Lumïn, Kazoo, Linn on iOS/iPadOS (Bubbleupnpserver is needed that can run on your nas to add OpenHome compatibility to UltraRendu)
  • MConnect Player on iOS/iPadOS and Android (no need of Bubbleupnpserver)
  • Bubbleupnp on Android (no need of Bubbleupnpserver).

No issues at all streaming PCM and DSD.

You could use this setup with HQPlayer Embedded too:

just configure it in Bubbleupnpserver (using Lumïn app, Linn or Kazoo, no need if you use MConnect Player or Bubbleupnp) and use your UltraRendu as HQP NAA.

In this way you’ll have an integrated system that can play MPD and/or HQPe using the same control point and switching MPD / NAA on UltraRendu configuration.

Stefano

My audio system

24 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

Didn’t you tried Minimserver?

From your signature it seems you already have everything needed to run Minimserver on your NAS using UltraRendu as MPD renderer.

Minimserver is available as Starter Edition that is free and Full License that offer more possibilities to manage your metadata.

Several control points are available like:

• Lumïn, Kazoo, Linn on iOS/iPadOS (Bubbleupnpserver is needed that can run on your nas to add OpenHome compatibility to UltraRendu)
  • MConnect Player on iOS/iPadOS and Android (no need of Bubbleupnpserver)
  • Bubbleupnp on Android (no need of Bubbleupnpserver).

No issues at all streaming PCM and DSD.

You could use this setup with HQPlayer Embedded too:

just configure it in Bubbleupnpserver (using Lumïn app, Linn or Kazoo, no need if you use MConnect Player or Bubbleupnp) and use your UltraRendu as HQP NAA.

In this way you’ll have an integrated system that can play MPD and/or HQPe using the same control point and switching MPD / NAA on UltraRendu configuration.

Thank you for these suggestions. 

I have used Minimserver in the past, but there was an issue with it after a Synology update and I didn't bother to troubleshoot it because I had alternatives, primarily JRiver and Audirvana. Then I, for the most part, moved to HQP.  

I control DLNA, including Volumio, using Mconnect and Bubble UPnP on my Android phone and Mconnect on my iPad.  

Also, sometimes the Rendus have gotten touchy about playing DLNA for random reasons. On those occasions, I switch to LMS just to see if the hardware still is working.  Once I confirm that it is, I usually switch right back to DLNA, which, by then, usually works again. 

It is easy to switch between DLNA, Squeeze, and NAA on the Rendus, as you have pointed out. 

I really have had an abundance of riches when it comes to player software. I was interested in Volumio because I was ready for an HQP alternative for classical music, people praise the Volumio interface and SQ, and the price can't be beat.  😊

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s