IGNORED

Favorite MQA albums?

GUTB

Just listened to the MQA-CD of John Williams in Vienna vs the 96kHz version from HDTracks. They are both fairly similar with the MQA-CD version shows the characteristic forwardness in some places. The download also has a cleaner background / lower noise I'm positive that's because it's playing off my custom audio PC's battery-powered Paul Pang V3 USB card while my CD transport is plugged into normal PC's power strip. The transport which is a Chinese copy of a Wadia circuit (apparently) has a large capacitor bank so I hoped that was enough to offset the use of a noisy mains supply. Both versions sound like what you'd expect from a 96kHz hi-res album: a little bit more separation / air and instrument definition. No I haven't listened to the CD quality version yet but I've heard a lot of hi-res albums like this and I think I have a pretty good handle on what they tend to sound like vs CD quality.

3bf99fef-9972-4ee1-b31f-ce7a3b0f9652.00f

On 1/1/2021 at 12:56 AM, GUTB said:

my Jazz MQA-CD sample pack I got from JapanCD

the Furutech outlet

a Lessloss Level 1 power filtering cable

+ Lessloss Firewall 64X

That is some tweaks you got there. 

Glad I could help 😁

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

1 hour ago, GUTB said:

Wait, I forgot that General is for non-audiophiles. It’s been a while since I was last active and I forgot about that. Audiophiles are in other sections and don’t often post in General.

Since when is General for luddites? Your topic is fine here, just there is no MQA favorites as it changes the music.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

2 hours ago, GUTB said:

Wait, I forgot that General is for non-audiophiles. It’s been a while since I was last active and I forgot about that. Audiophiles are in other sections and don’t often post in General.

aRkbYgi8yMFV.thumb.jpg.bcbab0733e3e7609809890a921a821b2.jpg

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

2 hours ago, GUTB said:

You can still request Moderator privileges.

MQA may be shite, but so is .mp3 and low bitrate .aac as in YouTube, but many members still listen to them., and are able to tolerate their shortcomings.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 hour ago, botrytis said:

The difference is MQA does DSP and increases the volume of the recording MP3 does not. MP3 is free use and MQA is not and you cannot make an MQA version of a CD you own. MQA needs different equipment MP3 does not. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

That still does NOT alter what I said. If some members like what they hear with some MQA albums then they should also be free to post their impressions here.

Nobody is twisting people's' arms to purchase MQA equipped devices or purchase MQA CDs, or even listen to it.

Despite the typical audible failings of MQA it should still sound better than typical .mp3 or 128kbps .aac audio from YouTube.

You may even be breaching Copyright by making MQA versions of your CDs ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

1 minute ago, sandyk said:

That still does NOT alter what I said. If some members like what they hear with some MQA albums then they should also be able to post their impressions here.

Nobody is twisting people's' arms to purchase MQA equipped devices or purchase MQA CDs, or even listen to it.

Despite the clear failings of MQA it should still sound better than typical .mp3 

You may even be breaching Copyright by making MQA versions of your CDs ?

If they like it great but please don't force it on the rest of us. 

Actually besides being louder, from the listening I have done, give me MP3 (closer to the original) over MQA any day. 

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

1 minute ago, botrytis said:

Nobody is forcing it on anybody. Simply ignore threads like this and they will quickly die from lack of participation. .😉

31 minutes ago, botrytis said:

Actually besides being louder, from the listening I have done, give me MP3 (closer to the original) over MQA any day. 

BTW, where did you get this strange DSP argument from? Wasn't the filter from one of the early DACs ripped and analyzed? How does a filter perform DSP on anything? Did you just make that up?

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

Nobody is forcing it on anybody. Simply ignore threads like this and they will quickly die from lack of participation. .😉

I would normally agree but since some record labels are trying to force it on the consumer, best not to advocate MQA.