IGNORED

Favorite MQA albums?

GUTB

4 minutes ago, MetalNuts said:

Yes, it is!  But with respect, let's agree to disagree.  MQA is not audiophile to me but snake oil or may be even worse.

Perhaps his Vacuum Tube preamplifier makes MQA sound better ? 😉 

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

16 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Perhaps his Vacuum Tube preamplifier makes MQA sound better ? 😉 

It is not his fault.  I would blame there no rules or standard governing the use of certain names which will convey to consumer the idea of superiority over the others.  It is a possible case of misrepresentation.

MetalNuts

1 hour ago, GUTB said:

What hardware and music did you use to come to this conclusion about MQA?

My friend, I believe if you are interested to discover my audio system you can click on my avatar and discover yourself.  But for your sake I copied and showed it to you below.  However, I do not believe my current audio system make me arrived at the conclusion cos' I have changed gears along these years since MQA surfaced in the market.  It is the source that matters.

Stereo: NAS & MSB Premier Dac (Isotek EVO3 Acension PC) --> Crystal Future Dream XLR --> Soulution 525 (Crystal Future Dream PC) --> Crystal Future Dream XLR --> Soulution 311 (Isotek EVO3 Acension PC) --> Crystal Kondo Operia SPs 2.7--> Audio Physic Midex

AV: OPPO 203 / Pioneer LX500 --> Pioneer LX-901--> ELAC CC 241.3, KEF LS-50,  KEF R-50, JL 110

Power Conditioner for Stereo: Isotek EVO3 Mosaic Genesis & Isotek EVO3 Genesis One

Power Conditioner for AV: Isotek EVO3 Sigmas

MetalNuts

1 hour ago, Siltech817 said:

What is an "MQA album"?

Just a small handful of people in Japan have any of these, so that's quite a short list.

If a particular product availability is limited to internal Japan only online sale, it is still possible to get it. One can contact one of Japanese forwarding services, which will buy and send it to your address anywhere in the world.

1 hour ago, MetalNuts said:

My friend, I believe if you are interested to discover my audio system you can click on my avatar and discover yourself.  But for your sake I copied and showed it to you below.  However, I do not believe my current audio system make me arrived at the conclusion cos' I have changed gears along these years since MQA surfaced in the market.  It is the source that matters.

Stereo: NAS & MSB Premier Dac (Isotek EVO3 Acension PC) --> Crystal Future Dream XLR --> Soulution 525 (Crystal Future Dream PC) --> Crystal Future Dream XLR --> Soulution 311 (Isotek EVO3 Acension PC) --> Crystal Kondo Operia SPs 2.7--> Audio Physic Midex

AV: OPPO 203 / Pioneer LX500 --> Pioneer LX-901--> ELAC CC 241.3, KEF LS-50,  KEF R-50, JL 110

Power Conditioner for Stereo: Isotek EVO3 Mosaic Genesis & Isotek EVO3 Genesis One

Power Conditioner for AV: Isotek EVO3 Sigmas

The MSB Premier supports MQA through the renderer module and it obviously has the resolution to expose hi-res recordings. This systems seems like it should have no problem with revealing MQA qualities (or lack thereof) unless you didn't have a MQA DAC at the time. Can you think of some albums that you were unimpressed with that made you discard MQA?

2 hours ago, botrytis said:

I went to a dealer in Des Moines, IA two years ago and blindly listened to their Roon Server using B&W 800 D3's Big McIntosh monoblocks and I can't remember the front end. But, it was of the same calibre. I played versions of music I knew both non-MQA and MQA versions. Except for being louder, all the MQA versions sounded like shit. Example on a Melody Gardot piece from " The Absence' - So Long (both were supposedly 96/24 versions) The guitar on the MQA version sounded like a plastic stringed guitar, not full like the others. Her voice also was very thin. That was enough for me.

It sounds likely if you don't recall the front end it wasn't MQA capable. However you did note a change that was memorable so maybe it was MQA capable. I'll review this track and see if I can hear this degradation of quality. I haven't come across a degradation with MQA, it's always either an improvement or no difference at all.

1 hour ago, Siltech817 said:

What is an "MQA album"?

Just a small handful of people in Japan have any of these, so that's quite a short list.

Just an album but with an MQA version available.

MQA-CD is actually a combination of MQA and UHQCD which is a new disc media material and mastering process. The discs return a stronger signal to the reader. I also tested these independently (ie, UHQCD with no MQA) using samplers from JapanCD. The samplers contain a UHQCD disc and a regular CD of the same tracks so you can compare them. When I tested it with my older DAC and CD player, I found there was a minor improvement in bass definition. Actually I should go back to them using my new DAC and CD transport.

Aside from MQA-CD, you can buy MQA downloads from certain sites. The one with the largest selection as far as I know is Highresaudio.com.