IGNORED

Doge 7 tube DAC

Anyone here using or have heard the Doge 7 tube DAC? I'm very interested in it after watching the review of Jay (The next best thing studio). 

I was set on getting the Denafrips Venus II but after viewing his review, i am now on the fence whether i should get the Doge 7 or the Venus II. Jay gave the Doge 7 "the best DAC award last month along with the Pontus" and yesterday on their yearly awards, he gave the "Best price no object - component award of the year" to Doge 7 tube DAC and take note, among its competitors were the Denafrips Pontus and Terminator+. 

I'm really intrigued if i should get the Doge 7 due to this.

My system:

B&W  805D3

Primaluna EVO400 tube preamp (soon)

Primaluna EVO400 tube poweramp - 2x 70w (soon)

streamer - either lumin u1 mini or OpticalRendu (soon)

small bedroom setup (18 sqm/193 sqft)

music i listen to = jazz/classical/soft relaxing music.  I don't listen to rock, electronic, loud, disco music.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I have both a Venus II and the Doge 7.  The Doge DAC is very sensitive to tubes.  With most tubes I tried, the Venus sounds more precise.  Ah… but with Sylvania new old stock tubes, the Doge 7 is just as precise but with a beautiful tube sound.  Absent the NOS tubes, the Venus is a safer bet.  Having said that, the Doge 7 is special.  If I could only have one of them, I would bite the bullet and stock up on NOS tubes, a commitment most people probably don’t want to make.  For both I recommend using a Denafrips Hermès DDC, which really improves soundstage and timber, especially on the Doge.