IGNORED

Audio DVDs?

8 hours ago, fgranlund said:

I have an assortment of audio files (WAV, FLAC, some MP3s) that I would like to convert to DVD-Video, in order to accommodate longer programs than will fit on CDs (entire concerts, operas, etc.). Playing them back via computer is tedious for a number of reasons, and the idea is to get them into my surround-sound music system via my DVD player.

Does your DVD player have a USB input ? Quite a few recent cheap players do.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Winburner's simplicity is quite charming, especially compared to the dizzying complexity of programs like Nero (which is also guilty of providing inadequate "how to" instructions). It does copy all sorts of files to DVD, but it doesn't "author" a DVD such that a DVD player can play it. Nero does that, but won't accept converted audio files as video files. So the hunt is still on. No USB input to the DVD player, either, which would have opened up some other possibilities. Keep the ideas coming!

2 hours ago, fgranlund said:

Keep the ideas coming!

Can your DVD player play DVD Data discs with .wav files or CD albums ?

Incidentally, while you are experimenting, I hope that you are using a DVD-RW disc ?

Windows 10

1. Insert the blank disc into your disc burner and push in the tray. ...
  2. When the Notification box asks how you'd like to proceed, click the box's Burn Files to a Disc option. ...
  3. Type a name for the disc, describe how you want to use the disc, and click Next. ...
  4. Tell Windows which files to write to disc.

You can also erase their contents using Windows 10 .

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

21 hours ago, fgranlund said:

Actually, just the opposite is what I'm trying to do. I have an assortment of audio files (WAV, FLAC, some MP3s) that I would like to convert to DVD-Video, in order to accommodate longer programs than will fit on CDs (entire concerts, operas, etc.). Playing them back via computer is tedious for a number of reasons, and the idea is to get them into my surround-sound music system via my DVD player. There are a number of now-obsolete applications (for WIN-XP and earlier systems) that make that conversion, but not reliably (they don't segue consecutive tracks well, or insert extraneous noises between them, etc.). The trans-coding apps I've tried will turn WAVs into MP4s, but the DVD authoring apps (Nero, DVDStyler) still see them as audio files and demand a video track to go along with them. I've tried adding a slide show, but that takes up more room on the DVD and defeats the purpose (somewhat). So I'm still looking for ideas, or the magic app that can do the trick. Thanks for your suggestions!

Does your player support DVD-Audio ?

(not many do)

Crate video from music seems to be a challenge. I would assume you (as indicated) will have to start with video/slides, and add music.

Maybe you should look at other ways to achieve what you want. It’s so many years ago I struggled with files from a computer to my stereo, that I have forgot most of it.

Can it be as simple that a chromcast will do the trick ?

Do you have digital input available ? (Or is TV the only place). 

5 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Crate video from music seems to be a challenge. I would assume you (as indicated) will have to start with video/slides, and add music.

Ideally, you need a Video editing program to do that, and suitable ones aren't normally freeware.

The trick is to just add slides for several seconds only at suitable points, and use the lowest possible Video resolution to reduce the overall file size.

I am not sure I fully understand the request, however if you want to convert audio clips into mpeg video clips at 720 x 480 that can be source videos for a DVD - ffmpeg can do it: Just need a black 720 x 480 png in the same folder.

Something like this:

ffmpeg -loop 1 -i black.png -i 'input.wav' -c:v mpeg2video -tune stillimage -shortest 'output.mpeg'

Probably best to assemble all the audio clips in Audacity and output as a single wav.

Qobuz - HQPlayer(d) 5 - M1 Mini - RPI 5 8gb - Nuc i7 - Signature Silver DC - Keces P3 PS - Lush USB - Holo Spring Dac - SRC-DX - Chord Mojo2 - Bottlehead Crack Upgraded w/ GEC or Tung-Sol 6as7/vt231 - Triode Wire Labs AC - HD-650 - GR Research V2 - Dennis Murphy Pioneer BS22 - B&W 602 S2 - Apple Music Spatial 7.1.4

30 minutes ago, jkelly said:

Probably best to assemble all the audio clips in Audacity and output as a single wav.

Even with a normal CD/Music Video there will often be some tracks that you want to skip over.

Good point.  It’s been a while since I authored a DVD, but I believe you can set up chapters that jump to different sections of a large file. Either that or a separate video for each song.

Qobuz - HQPlayer(d) 5 - M1 Mini - RPI 5 8gb - Nuc i7 - Signature Silver DC - Keces P3 PS - Lush USB - Holo Spring Dac - SRC-DX - Chord Mojo2 - Bottlehead Crack Upgraded w/ GEC or Tung-Sol 6as7/vt231 - Triode Wire Labs AC - HD-650 - GR Research V2 - Dennis Murphy Pioneer BS22 - B&W 602 S2 - Apple Music Spatial 7.1.4

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I've been successful in making "slideshow" DVDs with Nero Video, using a handful of JPGs that don't take up much room along with the audio files. It's pretty tedious, and the audio has a brief dropout at the end of each track, but it's progress. Now I'd like to try FFMPEG per Sandy's recommendation. I've downloaded the app, extracted the TAR file from the BZ2 file and the program files from the TAR file - but I don't see anything like an EXE file to start the program. Sandy - can you steer me to the executable file? Thanks!

I was playing around with a program last night:

DVD Audiotools https://dvd-audio.sourceforge.io

I downloaded the DVD author package.

I am running this on Win7 running on VMware on a Mac...but seemed to work fine.

It created an iso (and would burn a DVD if I had a drive connected).

"Supported sampling frequencies range from 44.1KHz (the Red-Book CD Audio standard) up to 192KHz, with sampling depths of 16, 20 or 24 bits"

It didn't like mp3's so they would have to be converted.

The software allows for audio groups, so you can create groups of songs that play as a group and when done, it will advance to the next group.

I didn't see any interface or "buttons", but maybe something would show when burned and placed into a DVD player. The screen seemed to be blank - however you can add video.

I think this is a better solution that using FFmpeg.

Incidentally, I use the old DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0  for ripping DVDs, and DVD-Audio Explorer 2008 for DVD-A audio extraction .

I use Ashampoo Burning Studio 22 for most burning tasks, and TMPGEnc Mastering Works 5 for making most Audio and Video stuff including BluRay standard files etc.
Unfortunately, they aren't Freeware .

Using Soundforge sounds promising, but as I view the information it seems to apply only to DVD-Audio discs, which my DVD player doesn't recognize. Can it be used to create a Video-TS file from the audio files, instead of the Audio-TS file described in the comments? That seems to be what the old Music DVD Creator program (and its competitors) did. Both files were created, but the Audio-TS file was empty. Maybe FFmpeg can do it, it, I can figure out how to open it.

2 hours ago, fgranlund said:

. Can it be used to create a Video-TS file from the audio files, instead of the Audio-TS file described in the comments? That seems to be what the old Music DVD Creator program (and its competitors) did. Both files were created, but the Audio-TS file was empty.

DVD Videos have a Audio-TS file that as you saw is empty.

There is Freeware to rip both DVD Videos and DVD-A, but it seems increasingly likely that to do what you wish to do, you are going to have to purchase a program like Ashampoo  Burning Studio 22, which BTW, is currently on special for Au $35.99 and obviously even cheaper in the USA.

I've somehow created the impression that I'm trying to rip audio from DVDs, when in fact I want to record audio (only) on DVDs an alternative to CDs for longer programs. I've tried several authoring programs to make the conversion without success. Ashampoo Burning Studio, oddly enough, wouldn't open, claiming that I was offline. I set all the firewalls and security software to allow it through, and corresponded with their help desk for a solution - but nothing worked. Anyone else run into that particular roadblock?

I'm still experimenting with the slideshow idea, which seems to be showing some promise. . .

31 minutes ago, fgranlund said:

I've somehow created the impression that I'm trying to rip audio from DVDs, when in fact I want to record audio (only)

No. I simply tried to cover all bases, so that you could source whatever audio you wished to incorporate .

You can even use free S/W such as 4K Video Downloader to extract the typical 128kbps .aac  Audio from YouTube videos.

BTW, very few companies these days offer any kind of support to their Freeware versions. Many implicitly state that. as a condition of it's use.