IGNORED

recommendations for headphone setup

On 12/15/2020 at 9:21 PM, jkelly said:

I have been spending time with NUCs and DACs and software and upsampling software and power supplies and cables (I think you get the point) that I am considering simplifying my modest headphone setup by making a move to a single box approach. I am considering a AURALiC Altair G1 for Christmas.

While this is not a portable solution, it is warm sounding and could grow in your friends system. You can also connect a hard drive to make it a server. Finally the included (free) Lightning software might get me off Roon.

Not sure how flexible the headphone amp is - however I could use my Crack if the G1 can't drive my HD650s.

The price is a little high if you wanted to get a decent set of cans. There are other streamers to consider as well.

Good luck!

Sorry for the diversion from the OPs question but I felt compelled to chime in here.

I have several auralic Aries as streamers. I hated the Lightning app. Very stunted. Move to Roon was life changing 2-3 yrs back. Please keep this in mind. Move away from Roon is a huge step backwards.