IGNORED

What’s your next or latest analogue source purchase?

My latest purchase...which is over a year ago now..is a Hashimoto SUT bought from eBay. They are for DIY and don't sell finished SUTs you have to either make one yourself or buy one from someone like I did. Purchased for $1k. Next analog purchase has to be to finally upgrade the phono stage which is currently a Chinese clone of an old all-tube design I forget of which brand...Marantz I think. It's MC output is really noisy, but with the SUT and MM input it's much better so I haven't been in a rush to replace it. It has a really cheap case which rings like a bell. I installed Herbie tube dampeners throughout, removed the crappy feet and just use rubber pods and loaded up the top of the case with unused Mapleshade brass heavyfooters. What's been holding me back is my desire for an all-tube design meaning tube rectification, and actually really large-bottle rectification.

Beyond that I want to upgrade my 9.5" Reed 2A to a longer arm, at least 12". The 9.5" actually doesn't give me enough clearance to fit my damping ring. Eventually my Triangle Art Zeus is going to wear out...I'm not sure if I'm going to upgrade or just get it re-tipped.

A wildcard is....reel-to-reel. After hearing them at audio shows I know I want one...it's just a matter of getting a GOOD one that doesn't cost a fortune. I by good I mean upgraded to modern standards.

7 hours ago, Norton said:

What is your next planned hardware purchase for your vinyl (or tape) front end, or if nothing planned, what have you bought in the last year or so?

Mine -  an upcoming like for like replacement for my Lyra Delos cartridge.  

Well I have a plan to get a new SOTA vinyl system, whether it works out is another matter... I used to run a Dynavector Karat in a Townshend turntable, great combo btw. 

18 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Interesting, I am also investigating a replacement for the outstanding Delos and am having trouble finding anything near as good for anywhere near the price of it.

Exactly!  The SQ and generous trade in discount makes looking elsewhere a hard ask...I’d like to try a Decca London but I’m not brave enough (and  I’d need a MM phonostage)

14 hours ago, Rexp said:

Well I have a plan to get a new SOTA vinyl system, whether it works out is another matter... I used to run a Dynavector Karat in a Townshend turntable, great combo btw. 

Mine’s a Townshend Rock 7/Merlin.  What are you thinking of next (or did you mean SOTA as in the brand?)

20 hours ago, GUTB said:

My latest purchase...which is over a year ago now..is a Hashimoto SUT bought from eBay. They are for DIY and don't sell finished SUTs you have to either make one yourself or buy one from someone like I did. Purchased for $1k. Next analog purchase has to be to finally upgrade the phono stage which is currently a Chinese clone of an old all-tube design I forget of which brand...Marantz I think. It's MC output is really noisy, but with the SUT and MM input it's much better so I haven't been in a rush to replace it. It has a really cheap case which rings like a bell. I installed Herbie tube dampeners throughout, removed the crappy feet and just use rubber pods and loaded up the top of the case with unused Mapleshade brass heavyfooters. What's been holding me back is my desire for an all-tube design meaning tube rectification, and actually really large-bottle rectification.

Beyond that I want to upgrade my 9.5" Reed 2A to a longer arm, at least 12". The 9.5" actually doesn't give me enough clearance to fit my damping ring. Eventually my Triangle Art Zeus is going to wear out...I'm not sure if I'm going to upgrade or just get it re-tipped.

A wildcard is....reel-to-reel. After hearing them at audio shows I know I want one...it's just a matter of getting a GOOD one that doesn't cost a fortune. I by good I mean upgraded to modern standards.

Thanks - great  to see AS members investing in analogue!

1 hour ago, Norton said:

Exactly!  The SQ and generous trade in discount makes looking elsewhere a hard ask...I’d like to try a Decca London but I’m not brave enough (and  I’d need a MM phonostage)

If I try anything it will probably be the Grado Statement 3:  https://www.musicdirect.com/phono-cartridges/grado-statement3-mi-phono-cartridge

For a pretty big jump in price over a new Delos.

No electron left behind.

4 hours ago, Norton said:

Mine’s a Townshend Rock 7/Merlin.  What are you thinking of next (or did you mean SOTA as in the brand?)

I really don't know whats out there currently, something with the bass foundation of the Rock combined with the musicality of my Pink Triangle PT TOO. 

On 12/15/2020 at 3:51 PM, AudioDoctor said:

If I try anything it will probably be the Grado Statement 3:  https://www.musicdirect.com/phono-cartridges/grado-statement3-mi-phono-cartridge

For a pretty big jump in price over a new Delos.

I'm happy to see that the Master and Reference series do use nude mounting for stylus, its pretty critical for longevity and resolution. Gives me a reason

to upgrade to the Sonata for $600 when my Platinum wears out ( or the diamond falls out of its bushing 🤢)

the thought of a surprise sneeze costing me $3500 though 🤧 ... just can't go there.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

3 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I did that once, but with a cheaper cartridge and ruined one album of a box set as well. I was a bit frustrated with myself.

I think mine took out a  Grace F9E. Thankfully no album was injured in that fiasco

In the FWIW column  buying a Kirmuss or like record ultrasonic cleaner is the best way to make that more expensive stylus last

until the elastic suspension goes bad from age... else your record + groove debris makes a very effective faceting machine over time

for a stylus shape.

And my latest analog purchase as of 5 minutes ago is this, got tired of Mapleshade isoblocks under the AR

https://www.mnpctech.com/products/ar-acoustic-research-turntable-isolation-feet-set-of-four

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

I think mine took out a  Grace F9E. Thankfully no album was injured in that fiasco

In the FWIW column  buying a Kirmuss or like record ultrasonic cleaner is the best way to make that more expensive stylus last

until the elastic suspension goes bad from age... else your record + groove debris makes a very effective faceting machine over time

for a stylus shape.

And my latest analog purchase as of 5 minutes ago is this, got tired of Mapleshade isoblocks under the AR

https://www.mnpctech.com/products/ar-acoustic-research-turntable-isolation-feet-set-of-four

I was thinking about buying a Degritter today but thought I would wait until after Christmas when my SO said if I keep buying stuff she will have to buy me new presents...

hmmmmmm

No electron left behind.

In regards to these vintage Gerrards I read that it's critical for these to be refurbished to sound good. Also no matter how much you hotrod them they won't quite match the best belt-driven turntables...but that's a very high peak in terms of price. I bet with "just" a decent tonearm and cart they'll be just as good as the equivalent belt-drive unit except with actual torque unlike these belt-drives which use these super-low power motors. 

15 hours ago, GUTB said:

In regards to these vintage Gerrards I read that it's critical for these to be refurbished to sound good. Also no matter how much you hotrod them they won't quite match the best belt-driven turntables...but that's a very high peak in terms of price. I bet with "just" a decent tonearm and cart they'll be just as good as the equivalent belt-drive unit except with actual torque unlike these belt-drives which use these super-low power motors. 

Absolutely, factor in £500+ refurbishment for EBay  “finds”.  Plus  the cost of a decent plinth as an essential.

I was very impressed with mine, really sounded different from any belt drive I’ve owned (not that I’ve heard the summit of belt drives) really pushes the music along.  Plus it just felt so right to play original 50s and 60s SXLs, SAX etc on a contemporary transcription machine they were designed for.

19 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

If your budget for a phono stage allows it, I strongly suggest you consider the Zesto Audio Andros.

I've heard the Andros Deluxe 2 with my TT , nice but a little out of my budget at the moment. I also demo'd a used Luxman EQ500 that I can pick up for 3300.   Nothing wrong with my Manley with upgraded tubes just wanted to try something else, as my Manley is 2012 vintage.  

The Truth Is Out There

2 hours ago, mav52 said:

I've heard the Andros Deluxe 2 with my TT , nice but a little out of my budget at the moment. I also demo'd a used Luxman EQ500 that I can pick up for 3300.   Nothing wrong with my Manley with upgraded tubes just wanted to try something else, as my Manley is 2012 vintage.  

I have the Andros 1.2 and I bet you can find one used for that or less as it's been replaced now with a newer one. That Luxman was also on my list and I liked it until I heard the Zesto.

No electron left behind.

In September 2020 I switched from a moving iron cartridge to a DS-W2, optical transducer, cartridge from DS Audio, https://www.ds-audio-w.biz/   A different type of phono stage is required and I am using an EMM Labs DS-EQ1.  There is a less expensive cartridge, DS-E1, and future equalizers will be less expensive.  Hi-Fi News has been following the development of DS Audios cartridges for a few years.   Optical cartridges were developed about 40 years ago but heat from the light source ruined the elastomer in the cartridge.  Now with LED source the heat problem is solved.