IGNORED

Article: Review | DenaFrips Pontus DAC

2 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

Hi George - good to see your review finally made the light of day!

Now,  in my system and to my ears the Yggdrasil is a clear step ahead of the Hugo 2, even the Chord DAVE that I presently have in.  This is the Unison, latest version.  So my impression may differ from yours.  I think many of the older reviews that place the Yggy behind the Hugo 2 etc... are based on the first iteration.

I am yet to test, but I think this may well be down to my source as well (JCAT USB XE among other things).

Can you please detail your source and associated test equipment in the review?

Also Denafrips is reported to be more laid back than the Schitt’s - can you comment?

My system setup is listed in my profile.

I would add that so far I have found the Stereophile ‘Recommended’ listings accurate, but no so with the latest iteration of the Yggy.

+1

May I suppose you listened with Macbook Pro/Audirvana via USB?

I also think that a comparison vs Yggdrasil WITHOUT Unison does not make any sense.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

4 minutes ago, Blake said:

Yes, I read that review as well, and I am sitting here listening to my Venus 2 and thinking....  wow, we must have radically different ears/brain/system, or something else.   All good though, there is no one DAC that will satisfy everyone.  But, that is not at all how the Denafrips DAC's I have owned sound like.  If they did, I would have quickly sold my first Denafrips DAC and never considered them again.  I love speed, fast transients, etc.

Blake,

did you compare Venus2 and Terminator Plus both in your "Home" system?

If yes, what are the differences?

Thanks

Matt

1 hour ago, alvin1118 said:

I should clarify that the Venus reviewed by High-fidelity was the original Venus.

Alvin,

the complete review on HF gives the impression that it is about the Venus II, so they always talk about Venus MkII:

"This input supports the DSD signal to the breathtaking DSD1024 resolution, and the PCM to the equally surprising PCM1536."

This is not possible with the original Venus.

If the review is not about the latest Venus you should urge them to write a clarification.

Matt

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

I note that the specs page for the Pontus still says "Amanero USB Interface".  which caused me to think I should buy an Iris first... might want

to correct that on the soon side as that will be a closer for some sales.

Indeed, the manual of the Pontus is not updated too. Some confusion since some models with the new USB board are updated to Mk2, some not.

Matt

11 hours ago, Blake said:

The Pontus has user changeable filter options, but the filters are only applied when OS Mode is being used.  

Thanks, but extremely inconvenient. Denafrips should offer the Pontus one extra button for the two filters.

Matt