IGNORED

sonicTransporter i5 Gen3

anroj

7 hours ago, anroj said:

Hi, I recently purchased a sonicTransporter i5 Gen3 with the stock power cable. I'm wondering if anyone else on this forum has a sonicTransporter i5 Gen3, or other, and if so, are there any benefits in adding an LPS to this device.

I had an STi5 and now have an STi9. Both benefitted significantly from linear power supplies. I used a JS-2 for the i5 and an HDPlex 300 for the i9 (the i9 Optical needs too much power to work with the JS-2). 

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2020 at 3:26 PM, Ultrarunner said:

I had an STi5 and now have an STi9. Both benefitted significantly from linear power supplies. I used a JS-2 for the i5 and an HDPlex 300 for the i9 (the i9 Optical needs too much power to work with the JS-2). 

Hi, are these observations based on the STi5 and STi9 being connected to the same switch as your endpoint or in another location such as a different room near the router? I was wondering if placing an ST away from the audio gear might lessen the need for the lps...thx.

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

4 hours ago, sbank said:

Hi, are these observations based on the STi5 and STi9 being connected to the same switch as your endpoint or in another location such as a different room near the router? I was wondering if placing an ST away from the audio gear might lessen the need for the lps...thx.

Thank you for the response. I found out that the issue was not having an HQPlayer Embedded license. I purchased the license, installed the key, and it's working smoothly.

5 hours ago, sbank said:

I noticed the LPS improvement both with the server and endpoint connected to the same switch, and also when I had the ST connected to the router instead. The router, STi9, and switch (EtherRegen) are all in another room from the main system, on a dedicated line. The audio gear is also on its own dedicated line.

What I don’t know is if the improvement is due to giving the STi9 cleaner power, or the effect of removing a SMPS and preventing it from polluting the AC lines. I suspect the latter based on a lot of experimenting. 

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

I have an older ST i7 which only has one Ethernet input.so the i7 is connected to a Cisco switch and an EtherRegen connected to same switch. The EtherRegen then connects directly to DAC. I first used standard SMPS with i7. Upgraded to a 19v small green computer LPS and heard immediate improvement. Then upgraded to Uptone JS-2 and another jump on SQ. I now just ordered a Paul Hynes SR-7 but won’t arrive for several months. When it does, I’ll use the JS-2 to power the EtherRegen which is now being powered by uptone LPS 1.2 which was better than SMPS

I have an ST i5, 2nd generation (I presume), and I just recently ordered an SGC 12 V LPS from Small Green Computer. After exchanging it for the power supply delivered with the SonicTransporter, I immediately noticed that my system became quieter. Also, I got the impression that instrument resolution became better. However, I did not do a thorough comparison between the stock and the SGC LPS, so not a 'true' audiophile statement. But I was happy with the effect brought about by the LPS, so I keep it in my system. As a matter of fact, I just ordered an SGC 5 V LPS to power my Raspberry Pi 4. Just arrived a few hours ago and I'll see whether I notice a difference.

Those LPS from Small Green Computer are really cute!

2 hours ago, biosailor said:

I have an ST i5, 2nd generation (I presume), and I just recently ordered an SGC 12 V LPS from Small Green Computer. After exchanging it for the power supply delivered with the SonicTransporter, I immediately noticed that my system became quieter. Also, I got the impression that instrument resolution became better. However, I did not do a thorough comparison between the stock and the SGC LPS, so not a 'true' audiophile statement. But I was happy with the effect brought about by the LPS, so I keep it in my system. As a matter of fact, I just ordered an SGC 5 V LPS to power my Raspberry Pi 4. Just arrived a few hours ago and I'll see whether I notice a difference.

Those LPS from Small Green Computer are really cute!

I agree with you on that. I ordered the sT i5, Gen3, with the stock power supply. Once I got the SGC 12 V LPS installed in my system, the background became much quieter, dynamics seemed to take a major leap, images became clearer and easier to pinpoint where on the soundstage they were coming from.

11 minutes ago, anroj said:

I agree with you on that. I ordered the sT i5, Gen3, with the stock power supply. Once I got the SGC 12 V LPS installed in my system, the background became much quieter, dynamics seemed to take a major leap, images became clearer and easier to pinpoint where on the soundstage they were coming from.

You have a much better way of saying this! These are exactly my impressions!