IGNORED

A few questions on SOtM sNH 10G and etherregen switches with Linear Power Supplies

I recently acquired a SOtM sNH 10G switch in addition to my existing Etherregen. I am looking to keep both switches and daisy chain them. I am sure several folks must have experimented with this combination and would like some advice.

PS: I am using a single box server solution, No network renderer. So the connection from the server goes to SOtM TxUSB ultra to the DAC.

Which of the following combinations offer the best performance in your opinion? 

1. Router -> Etherregen A side. Etherregen B side to SOtM port1. SOtM port 5 to Music server (All connections using ethernet cables)

2. Router -> SOtM port1. SOtM port 5 to Etherregen A side. Etherregen B side -> Music server (All connections using ethernet cables)

3. Router -> Etherregen A side. Etherregen B side to SOtM port1. SOtM port 5 to Music server (Same as #1, but the connection between the 2 network switches using SFP)

4. Router -> SOtM port1. SOtM port 5 to Etherregen A side. Etherregen B side -> Music server (Same as #2, but the connection between the 2 network switches using SFP)

I also have 2 Farad Linear Power Supplies (12V) that I am attaching to the SoTM devices. The Etherregen is supplied with a CI Audio VDC7 MK2 (7V) LPS. I am sure the Farad is better than the CI Audio LPS. Does that influence which component goes upstream or downstream? 

Thanks in advance.

I have two SOtM switches, a plain Jane one and a full-fledged one and I have tried the Etherrregen on several occasions.

My audiophile buddy that owns it lives in the same block of flats as me and thus I have the chance to try a lot of his equipment and vice versa.

I believe combination no. 2 is the best if your switch is the plain one.

In my system I could not detect grave differences between the full-fledged SOtM switch and the Etherregen, each on their own. With the plain SOtM swith against the Etherrregen the scales would tip in Etherreggen's favor, so it would make sense to have it last in a dual switch combination.

However, I must point out that my comparisons were performed using Tidal, not local files, since I currently don't own a dedicated server and use Tidal through MPD/DLNA to my SOtM sMS-200ultra neo with Bubble upnp as a controller.

I hane not tried SFP's at all, but since I'll be installing a fiber home line early next year, hopefully I'll be able to go through combinations 3 & 4 at that the time.

Unfortunately, I no longer own the Farad and Paul Hynes power supplies that I had, so as to offer any meaningful info on their best utilisation,  as I have sold them to fund the purhase of the SOtM master clock.

In my system the addition of the external clock with everything powered by sPS-500's, makes a bigger difference than linear power supplies on the repsective equipment alone.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice! I made some big decision too lol. Purchased the Antipodes CX-EX combo. Should be getting them this week. 

Decided to remove the etherregen from mix. I found just the SOTM switch to be sufficient. Sold the ether regen. My Farad 3 (12V) with level 2 DC cable will be up for sale today.

My Server with the HD Plex power supply will also be up for sale once I receive the CX-EX.

This hobby is consuming me now lol.

9 minutes ago, audiofool1982 said:

Nice! I made some big decision too lol. Purchased the Antipodes CX-EX combo. Should be getting them this week. 

Decided to remove the etherregen from mix. I found just the SOTM switch to be sufficient. Sold the ether regen. My Farad 3 (12V) with level 2 DC cable will be up for sale today.

My Server with the HD Plex power supply will also be up for sale once I receive the CX-EX.

This hobby is consuming me now lol.

You can say that again...🙂

I have heard the Antipodes EX and it's a fine product indeed!!!