IGNORED

MicroRendu 1.4 vs 1.5

Aloha,

To my understanding, the 1.4 has a better clock, but the new 1.5 has a number of other improvements including the OpticalRendu’s buffer.  Setting all technical theory aside, has anyone done an A/B listening test to compare the two versions? Small Green Computers claims the 1.5 is overall better.  Curious what the consigliere here has experienced. 

Be Well,

Thanks

FWIW, I asked at the Sonore forums if it makes sense to upgrade from 1.4 to 1.5.  Sonore's response sounded to me like "don't bother."

https://forums.sonicorbiter.com/forum/support-for-sonore-products/support/497-microrendu-1-5-questions-and-answers

You may read the thread differently and I haven't heard the 1.5, so couldn't make an upgrade call on that basis, myself.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

The 1.4 is best. It’s almost like an ultraRendu. The 1.5 is entry level for new customers. 
Sonore could discontinued the ultraRendu and add a better clock to the 1.5. 

Thank you for the reply.  Have actually listened to the 1.5?

6 hours ago, DancingSea said:

Have actually listened to the 1.5?

No. As an owner of the 1,4, your possible upgrade ought to be the opticalRendu, maybe powered by a Paul Hynes SR4T. Don’t consider the 1.5 version. Read second post in link above. (“The microRendu v1.4 is a nice unit...I would hold on to it.”)

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2021 at 3:49 PM, Boniccie said:

I have the 1.4 with the 2.8SW and I also now have the 1.5 both powered with ifi PS, i hear no difference! Both sound identical to my ears. 

I can't recommend strongly enough - upgrade your power supply.  When I first bought my mR, I initially used an IFI iPower power supply.  Honestly, I was disappointed in it, and seriously wondered what all the hype was about, which it was getting at the time.  Upgrading the PS to a CI Audio 7v supply was a total transformation. Need to deal with the PS before you can start evaluating the different rendu's.  

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

On 1/28/2021 at 9:49 PM, Boniccie said:

I have the 1.4 with the 2.8SW and I also now have the 1.5 both powered with ifi PS, i hear no difference! Both sound identical to my ears. 

You should really consider Uptone LPS 1.2. Remember there’s a money back guarantee. Enjoy the music.