IGNORED

Article: Review | AURALiC ARIES G2.1

6 hours ago, McNulty said:

A review without sonic comparisons to functionally similar products is no review IMO. 

I also like comparisons, but it isn't Chris' style. There are reviewers who compare and others who don't. It's a philosophical difference in how to approach reviewing.  I don't think you'll find what you are looking for in Chris' reviews. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

7 hours ago, bbosler said:

I read the review, but to be honest, not being familiar at all with Aurilic, I was almost done before it started to become clear what  type of device I was reading about.  I saw it is a "streaming Transporter" on the front of it in the picture but that could mean different things, and googling the term it appears to be something that is used only by Aurilic because all the hits I got were for Aurilic.. .. It  was many paragraphs in before I ran across "Many DACs have somewhat similar capabilities" so I then knew it was a DAC, until I realized later on it is not a DAC after looking at the picture of the back panel.  Then you said it would make a great centerpiece for my system, but I still had no idea what it was. 

maybe I'm the only one, but for these types of devices I find it extremely helpful if there is a list of features, and early on in the review a statement about what it is/does. If I may be so bold as to offer a suggestion, not all of your readers are as consumed with this stuff as you are so maybe you could dumb it down a bit , or at least offer some idea of the function of the device in the introduction , for those of use who aren't so well informed.. or a sidebar with functions. 

thanks

I'm familiar with the products, but I agree that if you weren't it wouldn't have been clear if the device is just a transport or also includes a DAC. 

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

3 hours ago, 57gold said:

Am not the sharpest knife in the CA drawer, but not sure what this product does? What and why will it make music sound better?

Essentially, it's a network bridge like the Sonore Rendu series or the dCS bridge. The difference is that it has a lot of added functionality: the Auralic Lightning DS UI, multiple inputs, DSP - upsampling, ability to add storage, and a screen. You could use one of these and not need a separate server or outside UI software.

5 hours ago, thotdoc said:

I thought and still think, perhaps incorrectly, that it's a transporter, more SCG's sonic transporter with ripper, not Sonore's Rendus. Chris, you have to appreciate that your readers have built fairly sophisticated digital systems and within the group different people think this product is different things. I think it's pretty funny.

The issue is that the industry has no standard vocabulary. "Streamer" means just a transport to some and is used that way by manufacturers; to others it means a transport with a DAC, for example.  This one is even more complex b/c it has optional features which essentially have it move to a different category.