IGNORED

DAC Connection

gerardiw

Question

5 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, gerardiw said:

I'm at the planning stage of my first music server. The input into the built in DAC of my preamp (Boulder 1012) is AES/EBU style. What is the best way to connect the server to my preamp for sound quality?

If you have AES/EBU you can use a server with AES output, use a USB to AES converter (such as the Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB), or an Ethernet to AES device (such as the dCS Network Bridge) that supports something like Roon. Many options. Not a single best option. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems

On 11/30/2020 at 3:07 PM, gerardiw said:

I'm at the planning stage of my first music server. The input into the built in DAC of my preamp (Boulder 1012) is AES/EBU style. What is the best way to connect the server to my preamp for sound quality?

Streamers without DAC's usually provide digital I/O over USB, toslink, coax, BNC or I2S... AES is uncommon. Aurender provides/praises AES in at least 1 model

https://aurender.com/n10/

While I value my 2001 Linn Genki as a CD transport, I haven't used the DAC section in it for over 10 years, use BNC to newer external DAC.

DAC sections from 2001 aren't competitive with the strides made since in DAC circuit design. Listening fatigue after 3-4  hours

is the usual problem with older DAC designs. I'd suggest comparing something like the Auralic Altair G1 (integrated streamer+DAC) to see which

approach is more satisfying

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Hi Davide256

Apologies but perhaps by original question was unclear. I am building the server myself and want it to be as compatible with my preamplifier as possible. The preamplifier is a Boulder 1012 and its digital inputs are AES/EBU. So when building my server I wondered whether I can include and AES output, that has good sound quality or whether I have to use a digital interface between my server and the preamplifier. I hope that is a clearer explanation 🙂