IGNORED

Article: Review | SONCOZ LA-QXD1 DAC with Balanced Outputs

Thanks for the kind words, Matt!!

First, you may be aware of it, the Revolution & the Soncoz share the same ESS DAC chip, while the Klein does use an older AKM generation.

The Klein in general does everything the Soncoz can do except of SPDIF troughput and without volume control & balanced output. You can drive amplifier direct with it but it has no mobile use case. If you feel the need for a DAC in the car, the Soncoz would work with its low power demands. Due to the analog volume control you CD an drive your cans as well directly from the DAC's output!

Soundwise, I feel that the Klein lacks a bit of clarity, detail and soundstage compared to the LA-QXD1 when fed by Toslink.

The Klein however is more mininalistic in its build and  functionality. AFAIK, the Klein series has evolved during the last years, both in features and use of DAC chips.  

The Revolution, as noted in this review, is low on options and highly special on sq: very low noisefloor, detailed and musical in a way I haven't encountered at that price level below 300$. More findings will be published in part 2 of the Revolution review. On USB it is subjectively at least on par with the iFi and distinctively better than the Klein.

51 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

You’re throwing out all the information in the review because you listen a little differently?

I enjoyed the review up to point when it was mentioned upsampling was used, then stopped reading. 

2 hours ago, blue2 said:

The detailed playlist is excellent. Could be an article itself if you have more recommendations and time to write them up :-)

Mille merci @blue2

you seem to be a music lover with some taste not too far away from mine.
This is lovely news, as I feel the aquired preferences in music&artists are often very individual and the crossover point of personal tastes remains with some audiophile classics you can hear a dozen at audio shows.
Here is a list of my reviews, where you'll find playlists in all but the two Purifi articles. Usually I have linked the Qobuz stream - if available - to them.
I may give some consideration about more music for my blog I've started recently, however there are a couple of reviews (with playlists!) I have to finish first.
Stay safe & sound
Tom from France

LA-QXD1, what a stupid, unmemorable name.

The article says Magnius in a couple of places, should be Modius. The Magnius is an amp, not a DAC. Too bad the sonic comparison to the Modius didn't materialize, would have been interesting. Maybe later? 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

11 hours ago, audiobomber said:

The article says Magnius in a couple of places, should be Modius. The Magnius is an amp, not a DAC.

Salut AB,

thank you for reading the article with your razor sharp eagle eyes  ;-).

I was aware about the mix up between Modi, Modius and Magnius in the early versions, but somehow these two you found have escaped into the final version. 

11 hours ago, audiobomber said:

LA-QXD1, what a stupid, unmemorable name.

I typed it a couple of times, it is easier than you might think. :-)

And far better than i. E. the name MR-2 that Toyota used to slimline/simplyfy here in France to MR, as the full abbreviation somehow sounded like an undesired quality statement for that sports car.

Cheers, Tom

Better sound, better value, more fun every year. With so many new pieces so often, and the benefits at least a few bring to us all, it doesn’t seem so important any more that they’re built to last 30 years.  I still love the way my 50 year old stuff looks, feels, and sounds.  But being able to upgrade SQ at will without guilt at so little cost has helped me learn to live with plastic and a higher infant failure rate.  And, as you point out, many problems are now fixed or overcome by download.

Thanks for a great review.  I can’t wait to see what cool new things 2021 brings us!