IGNORED

Passive CPU Cooling - High Power CPU

OAudio

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Hi R1200CL,

These are great coolers.

I use the Supermicro versions in 2u size. Unfortunatly they are not efficient enough to the cool 3647 cpus passively.  They are designed for server cases with fans and ducts to make sure the coolers see some forced air moving through them.

Whilst working on the server for the moment I am still using the Supermicro versions of these coolers with electrically isolated fans. It's far easier to strip and reassemble the server with the Supermicro 2U coolers than with the new CNC coolers and heat pipe system installed. 

OAudio.

OAudio Ltd.

OAudio Supreme - music server.

OAudio RealStream - digital audio components.

• 5 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, rossb said:

Is passive cooling really necessary? The fans on my Noctua NH-D15 are currently spinning at about 200rpm and are completely silent.

Hi Rossb,

There is a lot of dogma about fans which really makes me 🙂sometimes. You would think they are a complete disaster the amount of attention that "fan-less" setups get, however the truth is that if you: 

• run them slow so you are happy / can live with the with the sound noise levels,
  • isolate them from the servers sensitive power (don't connect via the mother board headers),
  • make sure that the fans ground is not referenced to the servers supplies,
  • run fan wiring well away from the servers wiring and the motherboard etc,

the sound quality will be absolutely fine.

Sounds like a small auxiliary supply for your fans could be a good thing to try as well. 

Your fan setup is similar to the setup I am using to develop with here. The fans are electrically isolated from the server's power supplies for good measure. In a really high resolution system the set up is very good for sound quality, the impact of turning the fans off completely can just be heard but frankly its not much of a difference.

Last thought is that for DIY a passive heat pipe setup needs careful consideration. There are benefits in terms of physical sound levels from the server and "some" sound quality improvement to be had BUT you may lose the ability to easily move the motherboard from the chassis due to the complication of the pipe system. Not a problem ? possibly, but I need access to the motherboard to do "stuff" 🙂 which means its been in and out of the server 30-40 times at least.  

OAudio

OAudio Ltd.

On 1/27/2021 at 5:12 AM, vhs said:

Hi there, any news yet ?

Hi VHS,

Thanks for the interest, yes things have moved forwards. I wanted to see  if the cooling system performed as per the thermal design I did. I couldn't wait any longer so I did do a trail fit a week ago. They are just about bang on the thermal design which was really nice to see  and they look absolutely superb in the chassis.  The coolers were made by an engineer with decades of work for a jet engine manufacturer, and it really shows. Its such a shame to shut them away inside the server chassis.

They are back out of the server again and the fans are back in for now for the access reasons I mentioned above.

Here is another picture of them with CPU mount attached.

OAudio.

CPU Cooler 3

OAudio Ltd.

6 minutes ago, kyoya78 said:

I replaced one of the CPU coolers with my own (A7075). The thin fins are excellent for cooling but still have a negative effect on the sound. I was surprised at the improvement in sound quality even after replacing one of the CPU coolers.

IMG-4349.jpg

Hi kyoya78,

What a difference to the radiator on the other CPU. 

That's a nice looking CPU block !

OAudio Ltd.

• 4 weeks later...