IGNORED

Thoughts on a "room treatment" idea from my brain...

My desk in my home office is along the long side wall of a basement room, it has to be that way. Behind me is a bunch of book cases along the other wall. There is plenty of open spaces in the bookshelves for the sound from my speakers to go right through and reflect off the wall, as the bookshelves have no back and are open. Here comes the crazy idea part. Would hanging an area rug behind the bookshelves help defract any unwanted reflections?

No electron left behind.

20 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Or, remove everything from your bookshelves. Then, everything from your head. Done.

It's been tested in the US for the last 4 years, seems to not work.

36 minutes ago, NOMBEDES said:

Here is my thought.  Put books in the bookcase.  20 or 30 years of National Geographic should do the trick.  Works for me. 

IMG_1933.jpg

Works for me as well (just random books) but in a much bigger room. He me be better with more absorbing treatment like additional rug, IMHO.

1 hour ago, NOMBEDES said:

Here is my thought.  Put books in the bookcase.  20 or 30 years of National Geographic should do the trick.  Works for me. 

IMG_1933.jpg

The bookshelves are full of books of various sizes. It is an interesting idea though if a solid wall of books would have the same effect as a solid wall.

No electron left behind.

21 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

It is an interesting idea though if a solid wall of books would have the same effect as a solid wall.

Books backs vs solid wall - these are acoustically 2 different things. Oh, I forgot to ask (assumed this is a small one) - how big is the room?

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

16 x 12, roughly.

Start with a rug on one wall, if you want to make the difference you will hear bigger - put them on two walls.

Ps. If after that you will still want to make it bigger - ask, some extra info will be helpful..

10 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Your comment about US has nothing to do with what I said. 

Just like your comment had nothing to do with the OP's question.

@AudioDoctor BTW I've never experimented with that since my 'desktop' Adams are actually not placed on my desktop but I'm sure the direct sound reflection from a desk colors the sound quite significantly. If you have lots of determination, you can try to cover the desk in front of the speakers with some absorbing material or even tilt the transducers backwards a little to decrease the influence of this reflection (this may move the soundstage upwards somewhat). 

God, I just love to do audio installations, even remotely 😀 

33 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

Anything that absorbs the unwanted frequencies or causes the space to be "uneven" in reflecting will work

–hangings, rugs, books, statues, soft furnishings, furniture, etc.

Most speakers are designed for average rooms, so the more you can make the space average in terms of absorbing/reflecting sounds the better.

I actually disagree that speakers are designed to work in an "average" room. I think they are designed to work as close to perfect as engineering and budgets will let the designer get. At least this is my hope.

No electron left behind.