IGNORED

Where should I try better ethernet cables first?

Hi,

It looks like this:

Fiber connection -> Ethernet cable -> Ubiquiti PoE adapter -> Ethernet cable -> Edgerouter X  -> Ethernet cable -> UniFi AC Lite 

ROON ROCK computer and Streamer connected to the Edgerouter X with ethernet.

Thinking of trying some Supra CAT 8 cables. Would I have to change all ethernet cables to notice any (possible) difference or could I start with with the streamer for example? I do not have any issues but are curious to see if I can notice any difference in my system.

Cheers.😀

2 hours ago, smith123 said:

Hi,

It looks like this:

Fiber connection -> Ethernet cable -> Ubiquiti PoE adapter -> Ethernet cable -> Edgerouter X  -> Ethernet cable -> UniFi AC Lite 

Thinking of trying some Supra CAT 8 cables. Would I have to change all ethernet cables to notice any (possible) difference or could I start with with the streamer for example? I do not have any issues but are curious to see if I can notice any difference in my system.

Cheers.😀

I would suggest to try Meicord cables. Used Supra CAT8 prior to Meicord. In any case try to stay with UTP cables.

22 hours ago, plissken said:

Ethernet cables don't affect SQ.

I actually (sadly) noticed a difference with the Supra between router and streamer. I had more of a “digital glare?” before. It is a bit more smooth and pleasant now.

22 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

I would suggest to try Meicord cables.

A already had a Supra on the way. The Supra is a bit cheaper so I think I will go for more of those. You think that the Meicord is clearly better? 

27 minutes ago, smith123 said:

A already had a Supra on the way. The Supra is a bit cheaper so I think I will go for more of those. You think that the Meicord is clearly better? 

I've been using both Supra and Meicord and still have both brands cables, in Supra case not only ethernet, but usb and xlr as well. If I compare Supra CAT8 (which is very good cable for its cost) with Meicord, the former sounds very nice and immediately attractive, while latter gives more analogue, neutral sound. Meicord is a small German producer of ethernet cables only. 

I tend to trust the position of Miska, HQPlayer developer, who insists that UTP type ethernet cables should be used in audio. (You may search forum for his detailed explanation why). Meicord is UTP cable. Along with everything said, Supra is a good and popular cable, and the choice of a particular cable is closely related to the personal preferences and features of the components used in audio set.

5 minutes ago, jabbr said:

True but the question is "where to try the cables first"

For your first time, I can't think of a better place than Haleakala at sunrise.

I noticed some time ago that being on one of the tropical paradise islands, I usually do not feel the desire to hear anything but the sounds of nature. But again, this is a personal preference.

On 11/26/2020 at 3:17 PM, AnotherSpin said:

UTP type ethernet cables should be used in audio.

Shielded Ethernet cables that have their shield tied to ground on both ends can pass noise. UTP cables have no ground connectivity.

I've posted about this over the years and google for Seimons 'The Antenna Myth' and T.I. paper on radiated emissions of 10/100 Ethernet PHY.

38 minutes ago, plissken said:

Shielded Ethernet cables that have their shield tied to ground on both ends can pass noise.

Not all. Audioquest Vodka doesn’t as one example. 

Gent’s option as another example. https://www.ghentaudio.com/pc/et11.html

But if you purchase standard cables according to official specification, Plisken is correct, and those should be avoided. 

Blue jeans cables is a good option as well. Many has reported that they like the Supra. 

On 11/25/2020 at 1:42 PM, smith123 said:

Hi,

It looks like this:

Cheers.😀

Spend your money on a better NUC PS. Or get a refurbished Cisco Catalyst switch with better behaved Ethernet ports to hang your NUC and streamer off of.. Ethernet cables

aren't going to change/improve data packets already in flight but a better  PS or Ethernet switch will make your equipment operate closer to ideal when handling origination and

termination of data packets. Cables matter in the analog domain, if you feel the itch to experiment with better cables, Kimber Hero interconnects are a safe bet

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Ok, I have now had more time to compare.

There is a definitive difference with my gear according to my ears. No night and day difference but easy to recognise.

The first cable between router and streamer gave more body and took away some of the edge. It dampened the sound though and took away some of the excitement.

Supra cables between PoE-adapter ->router and ROCK ROCK ->router gave further differences. I kept the body but the sound opened up more and was more detailed. A background guitar did for example pop out more and was easier to follow and a backup vocalist was more clearly defined and easier to follow in the soundstage.

I actually tried a Supra CAT-cable way back with a Allo streamer. I had I grounding issue then and returned it. I have not had any issues this time.

I could and would have returned the cables if there was no positive difference. But I would say that they are well worth the small investment in my system. I personally would not buy clearly more expensive cables though.

It is worth noticing that the cables replaced three ultra flat CAT6a patch cables (U/UTP). They seem inferior to much that is out there. There is maybe far less difference between better standard (non-hifi) cables and the Supra.

On 11/26/2020 at 3:51 PM, jabbr said:

True but the question is "where to try the cables first"

For your first time, I can't think of a better place than Haleakala at sunrise.

The wife and I go every year to Maui, and Covid sure screwed that up for us this year.,  We and 2 other couples bought a home in Haiku on the north shore not to far from Jaws. Haleakala at sunrise a must for a newbie. Pack a darn warm jacket. At the top, temperatures during dark hours can be 30 degrees less than sea level.

The Truth Is Out There

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

No one will take your offer ... 

He, he, well if we could set the terms, like doing how “normal” people listen to music, especially NOT removing cables, I wouldn’t mind.

BTW: EtherRegen has got a very nice review in December issue of TAS. And in January number it will get The product of the year.

@plissken is the one of 2 persons, out of more than 2000 purchased EtherRegen, that returned the EtherRegen. 

Now that said, I like the claims and discussion about 10 GB Ethernet utilized using SFP+, may equalize some of EtherRegen’s magic. 

Also, since Uptone knew about this article, they should probably provide some measurements as well. 
(Maybe TAS doesn’t normally print such anyway). 

38 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

He, he, well if we could set the terms, like doing how “normal” people listen to music, especially NOT removing cables, I wouldn’t mind.

Don't people have to remove their generic Ethernet cable to insert their super duper cable?

What terms would you set?

23 minutes ago, plissken said:

What terms would you set?

Well, this is part of the discussion of buffers. And more. 

Keep any cable. But with or without EtherRegen inserted. And not pulling the plug, meaning no buffers, or buffers below a second I suppose. 

Easiest would be using Roon. (Tidal & Qobuz). I don’t mind HQPlayer embedded in the chain. 

Anyway I’m OT now.

Unless you like the OP to pull out the cable 😀

37 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Well, this is part of the discussion of buffers. And more. 

Keep any cable. But with or without EtherRegen inserted. And not pulling the plug, meaning no buffers, or buffers below a second I suppose. 

Easiest would be using Roon. (Tidal & Qobuz). I don’t mind HQPlayer embedded in the chain. 

How is using a front end like Roon to host Tidal better than Tidal. I'm all in agreement for Tidal.

I don't understand the pull the plug part. I proposing what thousands of fellow audiophiles have done and they have been 'pulling the plug'.

I have 3 switches Etherregen, SOtM sNH 10G and English Electric 8Switch with two SOtM dCLB CAT7's  and an  iSO Cat6 and fiber between the Etherregen and 10G. 

The SOtM cables are amazing.

After all that I added a Network Acoustics ENO Ethernet Filter Ag and was really surprised that it further reduced the noise level and added life and naturalness.  They have a 30 day trial offer.  Your missing out if you don't give it a try.

I haven't tried their ethernet cables but I did buy a USB Ag cable that was much better than the Curious Cable.

I feel both products were excellent value for the price.

8 hours ago, RikkiPoo said:

I have 3 switches Etherregen, SOtM sNH 10G and English Electric 8Switch with two SOtM dCLB CAT7's  and an  iSO Cat6 and fiber between the Etherregen and 10G. 

The SOtM cables are amazing.

After all that I added a Network Acoustics ENO Ethernet Filter Ag and was really surprised that it further reduced the noise level and added life and naturalness.  They have a 30 day trial offer.  Your missing out if you don't give it a try.

I haven't tried their ethernet cables but I did buy a USB Ag cable that was much better than the Curious Cable.

I feel both products were excellent value for the price.

Could it be that when using clean UTP cables there is no need for additional filters, etc.?