IGNORED

Article: Review | Wilson Audio Chronosonic XVX - Part 1, The Build

I love it @Danny Kaey! This review is 100% you. Your style is very different from mine, and that's one reason why I love it. 

Ii can't wait for the world to turn right side up again, so I can visit "Chez K" for a listen to your system. These are truly amazing loudspeakers. I spent a few days listening to them at The Audio Salon, down the road from you, and made some memories. 

Looking forward to Part Two, whenever you're ready.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

4 hours ago, PeterG said:

OK, my insane jealousy over your awesome speakers (and really nice pad!) is now morphing into rage over you insisting that we wait months for the punchline.  I refuse to read any more of this...until you publish chapter 2

Rock on!

LOL! Hahaha that was the intent....... keep you glued and on edge. 😆 thanks for your kind words!

Amazing from one of the greatest and for many reasons the greatest speaker manufacturer of the high end industry.

Just one point. Since 99.99% of audiophiles are OCD, one "problem" with these speakers is what Danny mentioned "the team even went as far as  completely re-envisioning the smallest increments of time alignment with dual micrometer adjustments for the four individually adjustable upper modules contained within each speaker’s cut from solid blocks of aluminum gantry". Do the math. That will lead the best of us to an indeterminable number of variations to obsess over during our manic times in audio. LOL.

1 minute ago, Priaptor said:

That will lead the best of us to an indeterminable number of variations to obsess over during our manic times in audio. LOL.

Ha! So good. First world problems. 

When I listened, I quickly forgot about any adjustments and fell into the musical enjoyment :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

5 hours ago, RichardTownsend said:

Thanks Danny, it’s going to be a great experience!

Have you thought about some room treatment (eg broadband corner traps)? Without that you simply won’t hear the speakers at their best. 

Hi Richard, thank you!

Re: your suggestion of room treatment... yes, I have. Ultimately, I decided to only use absorbers on my rear wall; despite not having much if anything in the way of room treatment, I have exceptional sound. The room and the speaker setup as it is work in a befuddling at times harmony that is quite remarkable. Without giving it away, this topic will be part of an upcoming article in this series, so stay tuned! 🤩

2 hours ago, Priaptor said:

Amazing from one of the greatest and for many reasons the greatest speaker manufacturer of the high end industry.

Just one point. Since 99.99% of audiophiles are OCD, one "problem" with these speakers is what Danny mentioned "the team even went as far as  completely re-envisioning the smallest increments of time alignment with dual micrometer adjustments for the four individually adjustable upper modules contained within each speaker’s cut from solid blocks of aluminum gantry". Do the math. That will lead the best of us to an indeterminable number of variations to obsess over during our manic times in audio. LOL.

#truestory

haha! Agreed... reminds me of adjustable VTA towers........... LOL

As Chris mentioned, once setup by the great wizard of setups, Bill Peugh, (more on that in another article in this series...) I have not futzed with the micrometers or any other adjustments, save for the resistor banks. Stay tuned! 😀

40 minutes ago, Axial said:

I bet electronica music and Opera and Tango sound fabulous through those. 

...Like being (t)here, I wish I was (t)here. 

* Mahler 5th would do just fine. Keep it up, we're all in it for the common mortal good...the music reproduction @ home. And writing about audio in style is a dignified and respectable hobby. We keep that in our files ...

Indeed... tons of music recommendations coming in the next part...... cheers!

I'd go for the Mahler 6th...😉

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

No doubt a wonderful build.

However, I have to say it:

WAF Score:  O out of 10 (a 10 is given to a speaker that the significant other will admit "looks OK".)

I have often wondered what any Wilson Speaker would sound like in the poor acoustics of a certain bunker in central Berlin circa 1945.   They certainly look like something only a fan of the brutalism school would love.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

4 hours ago, firedog said:

I'd go for the Mahler 6th...😉

Funny: I just got the acclaimed Solti 6th on Decca for $10. The big benefit of classical LPs is that most got cheap unfortunately as today’s society simply has zero value for foundational classical music, instead choosing to listen to fabricated, soulless dreck that’s purely made to make money for labels. Just look at the top 20 shit list on Apple Music and Spotify and see what I mean.

2 hours ago, NOMBEDES said:

No doubt a wonderful build.

However, I have to say it:

WAF Score:  O out of 10 (a 10 is given to a speaker that the significant other will admit "looks OK".)

I have often wondered what any Wilson Speaker would sound like in the poor acoustics of a certain bunker in central Berlin circa 1945.   They certainly look like something only a fan of the brutalism school would love.

Goodness gracious, you’re harsh!!! 🥶

5 hours ago, Danny Kaey said:

Funny: I just got the acclaimed Solti 6th on Decca for $10. The big benefit of classical LPs is that most got cheap unfortunately as today’s society simply has zero value for foundational classical music, instead choosing to listen to fabricated, soulless dreck that’s purely made to make money for labels. Just look at the top 20 shit list on Apple Music and Spotify and see what I mean.

And you think I am harsh?   Anyway, I agree with your assessment there is a lot of AI generated noise that passes for music out there.  The Northern Europeans cracked the code, they know what rhythms and resolves the brain craves.  The computer does the rest.  Brave New World.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Reluctant though I may be to play the role of a naysayer, IMO this "Review" reads far more like an unpaid ad for Wilson Audio than anything else.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron